• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Buyer Needs Guidance

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for the "right" NSX to buy, but I'm unsure about a handful of things. Recently, I've looked at a 95 that was junk, a 98 that was very nice but overpriced, and now I'm wondering if I should save some money and buy an older model. The one I'm currently interested in is here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19256

I'm trying to do my homework, but you just can't replace hands on experience. I'd appreciate any advice from seasoned NSX owners regarding the following questions/concerns. Thanks for the help and have a great weekend!!!

91/92 vs. 97/98
------------------------------
For those who have experience with older and newer models - I'm concerned about how a 91 with no power steering, 270 vs. 290hp, and 5 vs. 6 speeds compares to a 98 for example. I want to save money if possible, but not if I won't be happy with the car. How do those with no power steering feel about it? Will the 91 feel basically the same as the 98 even though it is 7 years older?

Price
Do you think the asking price of the 91 listed above is appropriate? If I can't afford to keep the car for more than a year or two, do you think I will lose a lot of money when I go to sell it? I can afford to buy a 91 or even a 98, but I can't buy one w/out worrying about getting a decent amount back out if I have to sell it.

How to check it out
I've been burned before by buying a car I thought was mint only to find out later that it was hit and had frame damage. This is probably my biggest concern. How can I know for sure that the car has never been hit, repaired, re-painted? How do I know if the car is in great shape mechnically, electrically, structurally? Would there be any experienced NSX owners in the Chicago IL area that would be interested in checking out this car for me? The owner (Jason) said he would welcome this and you can simply let me know and give him a call.

Track use
-----------------------------
The current owner said he thinks the previous owner took the car to track events and used it on the track. Should I be concerned with this? Does "tracking" the car place any excessive wear on anything?

CarFax Report
-----------------------------
The current owner of the 91 above (Jason) seems like a very decent guy. He told me a lot about the car last night, and sent me the carfax report, but I'm not an expert when it comes reading the carfax info. Does anyone know why there are so many title entries and why there is no entry for when the car was new?

05/10/1993 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cincinnati, OH
Title #3100104283
Title issued

05/19/1993 2,042 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cincinnati, OH
Title #3100114079
Title issued

08/06/1993 5,181 Kentucky
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cincinnati, OH
Title #932180590115
Title or registration issued

06/09/1994 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cincinnati, OH
Title #3100480981
Title issued

06/28/1994 14,982 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cincinnati, OH
Title #3100501530
Title issued

07/01/1994 15,089 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Oxford, OH
Title #0900216342
Title issued
Loan or lien reported

03/03/1995 18,868 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cincinnati, OH
Title #3100745223
Title issued

05/02/1995 19,248 Ohio
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Fairfield, OH
Title #0900328507
Title issued
Loan or lien reported

09/26/2001 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
River Forest, IL
Title #T1269604166
Title issued
New owner reported
Exempt from odometer reporting

05/29/2002 Illinois
Inspection Station
Downers Grove, IL
Passed emissions inspection

CARFAX reporting is erroneous at best. Treat it as a reason not to buy a car rather than a reason to buy a car. State DMV's do weird things sometimes. Sometimes a car doesn't show up until later because a dealer used it without titling it. There are probably lots of other reasons.

I believe each of your other questions is covered in the FAQ section at the top of the page. Just use the search function and you'll get tons of good information.

Good luck!

bernardom said:
For those who have experience with older and newer models - I'm concerned about how a 91 with no power steering, 270 vs. 290hp, and 5 vs. 6 speeds compares to a 98 for example. I want to save money if possible, but not if I won't be happy with the car. How do those with no power steering feel about it? Will the 91 feel basically the same as the 98 even though it is 7 years older?

The power steering isn't necessary. I don't have it on my '91 and I never miss it. As long as the car is moving, it's easy to turn the wheel.

However, I don't think a '91 feels the same as the '98. That's because the '91 is a fixed-roof coupe and the '98 is a removable-roof NSX-T. That's a big difference.

There are also performance differences between the years, due to the larger engine and six-speed. The performance on the '91 is very good, that of the '98 is a bit more so. Can you tell the difference? Does it matter to you?

bernardom said:
Do you think the asking price of the 91 listed above is appropriate?

Yes. An early NSX with below-average mileage, no known problems or issues, all scheduled maintenance up to date, immaculate condition, clean title, five-speed, etc, is easily worth the price being asked for this car, IMO. The upgraded rims make it a bargain.

bernardom said:
If I can't afford to keep the car for more than a year or two, do you think I will lose a lot of money when I go to sell it? I can afford to buy a 91 or even a 98, but I can't buy one w/out worrying about getting a decent amount back out if I have to sell it.

If you think you might need to sell it within a year or two, don't buy it. I'm serious - and it has nothing to do with this particular car. Get something that you think you can live with for more than a year or two. When you own cars for only a short period of time, it's more expensive, for all kinds of reasons - everything from the sales taxes you pay on purchases, to the possible loss in market value, etc.

bernardom said:
How can I know for sure that the car has never been hit, repaired, re-painted? How do I know if the car is in great shape mechnically, electrically, structurally?

Have it checked thoroughly by a local dealer with extensive expertise in NSX service; in the Chicago/Milwaukee area, this means Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates, Pauly Acura in Highland Park, or Acura of Brookfield in Wisconsin. However, since this car has been serviced by AoB, I would just call the service manager there - John Vasos, 800-383-3936 - and ask him his opinion of the car. If he says it's good, you can believe it - because of his expertise (he knows more about the NSX than anyone else in the Midwest) as well as his integrity (he's got it).

bernardom said:
Would there be any experienced NSX owners in the Chicago IL area that would be interested in checking out this car for me?

Even though I am an experienced NSX owner and could check it out, I can assure you that you will get a much more knowledgeable opinion about the car from Acura of Brookfield than I could provide.

bernardom said:
The current owner said he thinks the previous owner took the car to track events and used it on the track. Should I be concerned with this? Does "tracking" the car place any excessive wear on anything?

Tracking the car does not place any excessive wear on anything except for parts that wear out and get replaced anyway, such as tires, brake pads, and brake rotors, so track use is not, in itself, a cause for concern.

I know the previous owner of his car, and I am quite certain that he never used the car on the track. He has attended several NSXPOs but never participated in the track event at any of them. However, the listing says that the current owner is the third owner, and I don't know whether the first owner might have driven the car on the track; if so, though, it was many years ago.

Please Help!!

Guys and Gals,

Let me solicit your help here. Mike is interested in my car. The car should certainly be inspected as he does not want to fly here without it. I completely agree.

However, the car was just at Acura of Brookfield 300 miles ago (and its 100 miles from my house!). The tech drove the car as well, not just looking at it. Mike did talk to John Vasos but he was not in the day I was last in. John was able to communicate that all the necessary items were replaced and that the car is in great shape and that I am anal.

Wswen came and looked at the car today for Mike. He should be typing up his comments soon, but the bottom line is he really liked the car.

Mike is on the edge here. He would still like me to go and get an inspection. Woodfield says they will do a 142 point inspection, but can not guarantee if I come in tomorrow that they will get to it. I am going on a trip and will be leaving tomorrow for almost a week. Both Mike and I would like to do the deal before then. Also Woodfield said yesterday that they would charge $92 for the inspection. Today it jumped to $120 when Mike called for an appointment. Amazing. Mike even asked them about it. They said they made a mistake yesterday.

My question is: With John Vasos input from 300 miles ago, the service writer at Acura of Brookfield calling Mike (which he did), and with wswen giving his report, do you think Mike should still want an inspection?

I can see Woodfield now. Tires, check. Brakes, check.

Nothing against Woodfield (though I DO drive 100 miles each way to John Vasos) but I was not impressed with them for similar pricing "mistakes" last time (the only time) I took the car there.

We are not talking about an abused car here. I have gone way beyond anal for making this car mechanically perfect.

Continental Acura is 3 miles from my house, but not a well known NSX shop. They could certainly do an inspection though, don't you think?

I am not trying to mislead anyone. Anyone that was at the Midwest lunch a few months ago has seen my car. Ken knows it for the last 7 years or so.

Thoughts?

I see some questions here.

osugrad97 said:
My question is: With John Vasos input from 300 miles ago, the service writer at Acura of Brookfield calling Mike (which he did), and with wswen giving his report, do you think Mike should still want an inspection?
I think what you are really asking is this: Does he already have enough information to conclude that the car is being represented fairly, that the car is exactly what it seems? And in my opinion, the answer is yes, absolutely. If I were shopping for an NSX, I would have no qualms whatsoever about getting a cashier's check and getting on a plane to pick up the car.

osugrad97 said:
Continental Acura is 3 miles from my house, but not a well known NSX shop. They could certainly do an inspection though, don't you think?
I would not be comfortable getting an inspection from a shop that rarely sees an NSX.

Bottom line: If I were in Mike's position, I would buy the car without another inspection. If Mike would still like an inspection, I would consider waiting until you get back from vacation to get it.

Another possibility - since Woodfield Acura might not be able to get to it tomorrow, what about Pauly Acura? I know it's not as convenient for you, but it's not as far as Brookfield. Maybe they could squeeze you in for tomorrow...

Update:

Continental did not have time tomorrow. I am going McGrath in Westmont instead. Its just easier for me.

When Mike talked to John Vasos, John seemed to think that no one in Chicago would do as good as job as him. AND he is free. Oh well.

Mike really wants the inspection and does believe (as do I) that most dealerships can do the basics. None of the places is going to tear the engine apart anyways. They will drive the car and look it over.

Nothing to find in this particular case.

Thanks for the input Ken. I wish I could convince Mike, but I understand his position.

Back