• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Crash in San Diego

Got to have discipline not to street race.
Like hell.

All you have to have is two brain cells and an iota of conscience. Everyone knows that people can get hurt or killed in street racing, and they're often not the drivers.

I know that this will ironically get me called a callous dickhead, but frankly, if this guy was street racing, I'm relieved that it was his own neck he broke, and not someone else's. At least now I know there's one less person on the road who could T-bone my wife's car at 120mph as she turns a corner on her way to the store.

Sorry, but I have no patience or empathy for street racing gone bad.

A light blue all wheel drive car is generally a Subaru, whatever that thing is called.

The facts aren't out and I believe this could have happened to any of us. God speed.

Last edited:
The mis-information being provided by the three network San Diego news stations is pretty embarrassing. If they can't even properly identify a car that is in front of their own eyes, how can I believe that their information regarding the other car being a Civic is actually correct.

This brings to mind something that nearly everyone always agrees with when I mention but nobody really thinks about and is a real eye-opener in terms of the media.

Everyone think back to a time when you were either interviewed, were a witness to something or got a mention of some kind in the media. It's happened to everyone at some point in their lives. Is it not true that virtually every time there was some inaccuracy involved--either they screw your name up, state something that outright didn't happen, omit something that did happen or just generally confuse the details?

We pass these off as isolated incidents but I do not buy that for one second. The only explanation is that the media is frightfully and horrifyingly inaccurate. This is a very difficult concept to come to terms with but I promise you everyone's personal experience with the media is almost always the same--littered with inaccuracy.

One only knows something for sure when it involves them and can state with 100% certainty it didn't happen that way which obviously isn't that often for most average joes. 99.99999% of the media we are exposed to can't be confirmed by the general reader as they weren't there or a part of it so we naturally assume it's accurate. But I wonder why it is that nearly everyone I've ever met takes issue with the reporting of an event they were a party to? :rolleyes:

why are you guys harping on this Integra vs NSX mistake? Are you insulted that ppl think that youre driving Integras?

Im THRILLED that the press is reporting this as an integra. It shifts the SHAME of this tragic event away from us.

Hope the driver pulls through and makes a full and speedy recovery. If evidence supports it, I bet he will be charged.

Smarten up people. Stop street racing.

Wow. Hopefully the driver turns out ok. I wonder how fast he hit what that made the roof come off. :redface:

Prayers to the driver, regardless of what the story is..

Hope the driver is ok, its accidents like this make me greatful for having a fixed roof over my head.

That's sad. Things like that happen in an instant and change your life forever.
Hope the guy makes it.

I'm shocked at the condition of the car!!!
I thought these things were stronger than that.
We've all seen pics of roll-overs and other issues, but this is just nuts.
Imagine the force required to rip the thing apart like that!

No-matter what the conditions were, good luck to the driver.
Our thoughts are with you.

Hope the driver pulls through and has learned something about the dangers of being sucked into a street race, maybe become a convert and testify against the activity. I had my NSX out for the first time this last week and it was drawing lots of attention even though I was driving very inconspicously. Mostly only guys that wanted to catch up and say cool ride or give a thumbs up. Then there was a guy in a new turbo Cavalier with his girl friend. I knew what was coming. He took off from a light as quickly as he could, I could hear the turbo spool, and we ended up side by side again at the next light after he changed some road positions to make sure we would. I just smiled and slowly shook my head. His girlfriend was looking at me and I think she was embarrassed. I knew she wanted to be in MY car.

I hope the driver makes it out of this one.

As a fellow nsx owner I pray for his recovery having that common ground.As a human being I can understand that we all have flaws ,weakness that can lead us to take risk,make risky decisions,he is now suffering greatly as is his family.I just hope that some of us will remember the callous reactions to this other unfortunate fella http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102579&highlight=lotus+crash .I am not a advicate of public street racing or driving under the influence or tapping on your pda,whatever,but the time to get at people and make a difference is before they split thier car in two:frown:

wow, thats horrible, glad he didnt die:cool:

the first thing i thought when i saw the pictures was "wow, enzo repeat" where the enzon wrecked and the back half of the car broke away.

there could have been a million things that led up to the crash, not the smartest thing ever, but stuff happens.

very suprised that the police are looking for a civic, its obvious by the "tuned by reese" sticker that it was probably an evo, good frekin god that guy should have atleast stopped, he can deny the racing part to the cops but atleast be a human being and call 911, he was covering his own ass without worrying about the other guy

btw: people do go to jail if they are racing and the other car wrecks and the driver of the other car dies/is seriousley injured

wonder which one of these it was:tongue: (taken from reesetuning.com)

6.jpg

7.jpg

As a fellow nsx owner I pray for his recovery having that common ground.As a human being I can understand that we all have flaws ,weakness that can lead us to take risk,make risky decisions,he is now suffering greatly as is his family.I just hope that some of us will remember the callous reactions to this other unfortunate fella http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102579&highlight=lotus+crash .I am not a advicate of public street racing or driving under the influence or tapping on your pda,whatever,but the time to get at people and make a difference is before they split thier car in two:frown:

Agreed. I also agree with the poster above who mentioned inaccuracies in reporting. I have been interviewed twice about my company in the past year and both times i told the reporters the absolute truth only to read these grand articles that were filled with fish stories. One reporter went as far as to multiply our annual revenue by 10 just to get his story on the cover i guess?

For all we know; this could have been an NSXer on his way to work when some crazy kid swerved in front of him and caused him to lose control.

The truth is that NONE of us were there and therefore NONE of us know what actually happened.

'Street racing" catches allot more readers attention than regular old car accident does.

Don't believe ANYTHING you see or read from the media. Even if they got the facts right, they rarely will report them as such.

Friggin' hell!!! I clicked the picture and looked at the slideshow of the other images....wow. Speechless. I have never seen an NSX split in half like that. He must have been absolutely flying. :eek: :eek:

That's what I was thinking as well....any car will disintegrate like that given the correct speed..impact angle etc.. I think it has absolutely nothing to do with the structural soundness of our cars.

"Street racing" gets lots of attention on the TV news. "Eye" witnesses don't necessarily mean "accurate" witnesses. Don't turn this into a street racers deserve to die thread until you know more details. That's all I'm saying.

:frown:

I agree 100% shades. People are so quick to jump to conclusions to make things sound more interesting. I hear everynight on the news that it's "public opinion" that we're in a recession too. That doesn't make it true. :rolleyes:

This brings to mind something that nearly everyone always agrees with when I mention but nobody really thinks about and is a real eye-opener in terms of the media.

Everyone think back to a time when you were either interviewed, were a witness to something or got a mention of some kind in the media. It's happened to everyone at some point in their lives. Is it not true that virtually every time there was some inaccuracy involved--either they screw your name up, state something that outright didn't happen, omit something that did happen or just generally confuse the details?

We pass these off as isolated incidents but I do not buy that for one second. The only explanation is that the media is frightfully and horrifyingly inaccurate. This is a very difficult concept to come to terms with but I promise you everyone's personal experience with the media is almost always the same--littered with inaccuracy.

One only knows something for sure when it involves them and can state with 100% certainty it didn't happen that way which obviously isn't that often for most average joes. 99.99999% of the media we are exposed to can't be confirmed by the general reader as they weren't there or a part of it so we naturally assume it's accurate. But I wonder why it is that nearly everyone I've ever met takes issue with the reporting of an event they were a party to? :rolleyes:

I've had my share of work in the media, and I agree,
they're not always accurate. Hardly ever.

Some people are quick to scorn this driver (and the lotus driver). Maybe these drivers were doing something that you and I wouldn’t do, but the deed is done now and I for one hope he recovers, remembers, and gets another car. In a certain sense, both of these guys were one of us. Get well, NSX driver. Rest in Peace, Lotus driver.
This is an opportunity to look more closely at the car itself, and digest what happens to an NSX after being busted open like a piñata. Some random thoughts:
Was the engine actually separated from the hind section, as someone mentioned? There are some chunks lying in the road but the pictures are too grainy for me to form a conclusion. Most of the damage seems to have been confined to the front and I suspect the motor is still in the back part. Have any of you guys ever looked at (less seriously) wrecked NSX’s for sale? The car can suffer grievous damage fore and aft and yet the sellers will mention that the car runs and drives. Mid-engined rolling wounded.
I didn’t know our airbags were pink.
If there had been a passenger, that person might have fared better than the driver. Incongruously, the passenger door remained in place even though the front was sheared away. Passenger-side glass didn’t even break.
Is the car actually black? In SOME of the pictures the car looks green.
If that had been my car I’d think about keeping the shrapnel in storage somewhere as a reminder. As it is, I suspect that you’ll be seeing parts off of this car on the market, soon. For example, some if not all, of the wheels.

Some people are quick to scorn this driver (and the lotus driver). Maybe these drivers were doing something that you and I wouldn’t do, but the deed is done now and I for one hope he recovers, remembers, and gets another car. In a certain sense, both of these guys were one of us. Get well, NSX driver. Rest in Peace, Lotus driver.

:(
I don't want to be disrespectfull on this one but I have to exclude myself from your bolt sentence. I'd never join a virtual club which excuses street-racing. It's not that the 'deed is done' it's the taking of the risk to do so. If you want to race go to the track, they have built these for some reason! Actually this is a shame for the NSX community and I wished he had driven another car/model.

I hope he recovers well!! :( Sucks to end up in a situation like that whether it was self imposed or not!!

....dibs on the drivetrain...

Back