• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Financing

Wow Todd, I do fully agree with you in principle just on the fact that home & retirement savings should take priority over toys...

It is a bit of an emotional topic though, similar to "pay off the mortgage or invest".

Just never took you to be such a responsible guy...
wink.gif

Hey, thanks Ralph! You're right, I'm probably not responsible.
wink.gif
But I do know very well how to be. I'm actually a potentially perfect example of a financial dolt. If I had 50k equity in a home and wanted a toy with no other means to get it, I would suck it out in a heartbeat knowing full well how stupid it is.
biggrin.gif
The old addage of 'follow your own advice.' I don't.
But my advice is correct. Recommended by 9 out of ten financial planners.

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

Just jumped in here. I have a 8.9% rate for 72 mos. on a '91 (Important fact that this was three years ago and the car was younger then) Through Bank ONE!!! I am also a Mortgage Loan Consultant in TEXAS. Todd's got great points, and to help his arguement out, yes, many people can pay their second lein in the 5 years they say they will. Do they. 99.9% DON'T (Official BK Study
biggrin.gif
) A few yes, MOST, NO. To pay Closing cost on this is also a factor, and the rate is around 8.25% for an equity loan around here. Not a big enough difference. By the way if you owe 150K on a 200K house in Texas, You may only pull out another 10K. Texas law. 80% total value of homestead. Big state, Big government.

91 NSX with 3 MORE YEARS. ew. Only 575/mth though!

------------------
Stock gears, stock everything - custom intake made by me and a couple of Borla mufflers welded in line. Lots of NOS.. Custom Crappy clutch.. Still goes fast. Falling apart at the same time. I'm fixing everything soon though (Dented fender un-painted spoiler)

ex. you have 50k equity in your home. You take a loan for 50k to buy a car. How much equity do
you now have? 0. How much equity do you have in your car? 0. In fact, it will likely be negative
equity, if not immediately, definitely within the first year and after.

I disagree with this. In your statement you seem to be "double dipping". If you pledged $50M equity out of your house as a loan, then you would have 100% equity in you car. You would have no loan against your car, it would be free and clear. You would just have a second on your home mortgage.

I think everyone has to decide what's best for them... for me, I'll take the taxable deduction.

FWIW...

There are a lot of good points here.

Can I object to the part that says the value of the NSX is zero?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nsxlr8:
Todd's got great points, and to help his arguement out, yes, many people can pay their second lein in the 5 years they say they will. Do they. 99.9% DON'T (Official BK Study
biggrin.gif
) A few yes, MOST, NO.

99.9%, huh? Well, I may not be one in a million, but at least I'm one in a thousand
smile.gif

-Bob ('94 #496)

I know this thread is rather old. But I am in the market for an NSX and just wanted to know what lenders you know..Thanks in advance.

NSXOTIC-I have 10 banks that will finance you all day long. Contact me if you'd like!!

Havent yet checked with my credit union but just want some options just in case.. erick

it gets a little complex when home mortgage involves.

------------------
the art of chasing down my friend's white 3000gt at com. ave

NSXCA # 1690

Old post, my apologies, but there are some fundamental things being overlooked here.

If you take $50K out of your house and apply it toward a car, unless the car appreciates, your overall worth deteriorates. Since almost all cars depreciate, I think what people are saying, but not saying, is that your overall worth is pretty much guaranteed to decrease. Generally, I would say that your equity in a home would increase (excluding paying off of principal) if you left it where it was. Thus, your trading off something that should make you money, for something that should not.

This is not unlike what would happen if there is a housing market crash, and your home depreciates. You and the bank dont share the liability, its all yours. Once your home becomes worth less than what they have lent you, what do you think happens (they could call it if they wanted - or you could just hand them the house)? It is exactly the same as buying stocks on margin. The stock goes down, its the prinipal that suffers and once the value hits the margined amount, you either pay up some dough or they sell your stocks.

Being able to write off the interest (I know nothing about this, I am a Canadian) is attractive, but if removing equity from your home to buy a car places the value of your mortgage(s) and the market value of your house close together, I would be very cautious. I would suggest against putting ones well being at stake for any car that you cannot live in
smile.gif

Originally posted by SPA_S2000:
Generally, I would say that your equity in a home would increase (excluding paying off of principal) if you left it where it was. Thus, your trading off something that should make you money, for something that should not.

That's a very good point. Another thing to consider is that your home provides you with functional utility (a place to live) in addition to an asset with a value that tends to increase over time. You have to live somewhere. If you don't invest in a home, you will be paying rent - most of which is, essentially, the finance charges for someone else's investment.

Gerald, I see you replied to my ad for a 1991 red nsx with 35k miles. I am a finance mgr at a Honda dealer in milwaukee Wi. I can help arrange financing for you on my car. Ther is a local bank in town who will finance a 1991 nsx up to 6yrs with 10% down. Rates are 5years at 9.9% or 6yrs at 11.9% a $33,000 loan for 60 mos will run you $675 per mo.

Originally posted by SPA_S2000:
If you take $50K out of your house and apply it toward a car, unless the car appreciates, your overall worth deteriorates. Since almost all cars depreciate, I think what people are saying, but not saying, is that your overall worth is pretty much guaranteed to decrease. Generally, I would say that your equity in a home would increase (excluding paying off of principal) if you left it where it was. Thus, your trading off something that should make you money, for something that should not.

This is not unlike what would happen if there is a housing market crash, and your home depreciates. You and the bank dont share the liability, its all yours. Once your home becomes worth less than what they have lent you, what do you think happens (they could call it if they wanted - or you could just hand them the house)? It is exactly the same as buying stocks on margin. The stock goes down, its the prinipal that suffers and once the value hits the margined amount, you either pay up some dough or they sell your stocks.

Being able to write off the interest (I know nothing about this, I am a Canadian) is attractive, but if removing equity from your home to buy a car places the value of your mortgage(s) and the market value of your house close together, I would be very cautious. I would suggest against putting ones well being at stake for any car that you cannot live in
smile.gif

Sorry, but unless I am misunderstanding something here, I think you're completely mistaken.

Taking the last part first, it should go without saying that, if buying a $50K car with equity from your house puts your house at risk that is a BAD decision and you can't afford the car.

However, assuming your equity and your ability to pay back the loan are both fine, "unless the car appreciates, your overall worth deteriorates" ???

Huh ???

This statement is true (maybe) regardless of where you get the money. I say "maybe" because it is possible for your house to appreciate more than the car depreciates, but in either case, it has no bearing as to where you get the loan.

The car is a "depreciating asset". The home is (usually) an "appreciating asset". Where the money to buy the car comes from is irrelevant to your overall "net worth".

"Thus, your trading off something that should make you money, for something that should not."

Not true' It would be true if you were selling your home to buy the car, but not by taking a 2nd mortagage, or "equity" loan against the house.

And actually, while I never really thought about it (probably because I don't own a house), you can (usually) deduct the interest on an "equity" loan, but only if the money is used to actually improve the home, NOT to buy something else.

I'm no tax expert, but I believe the IRS would disallow the deduction of the equity loan interest in this case, assuming of course, they ever audited the return, and, even then, if you told them some bull about how you improved the house they'd probably just let it go. And, it'd be almost impossible to be audited on this item alone. Also keep in mind, the basic rule of thumb is to "deduct" whenever possible and then let the IRS tell you you can't (which almost never happens).

[This message has been edited by NSX-GUY (edited 29 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by NSX-GUY (edited 29 October 2002).]

Originally posted by NSX-GUY:
you can (usually) deduct the interest on an "equity" loan, but only if the money is used to actually improve the home, NOT to buy something else.

I'm no tax expert, but I believe the IRS would disallow the deduction of the equity loan interest in this case

NSX-GUY,

That's not correct.

The tax laws permit the deduction of interest on any loan that is taken out using the house as collateral, regardless of how the money is spent. You can indeed take out a second mortgage on your house and use the proceeds to buy a car, and legally deduct all the interest that you pay on that second mortgage.

Then I stand corrected (I told you I was no tax expert
smile.gif
)

I DO believe there are some limitations on amounts and things though.

I'm not a home owner so I never really paid much attention to the subject.

Anyway, that being the case, with a high dollar exotic like the NSX, perhaps it DOES pay to take out a 2nd mortgage to pay for the car and then the interest is deductible.

Cool.

A deviation from this topic but, I have a loan with PeopleFirst.com at 7.25%. Currently their rates are 6.3% to 7.5% depending on loan terms.

They will only loan you money if your credit is sterling.

Hey, Goto www.peoplefirst.com I got a $35k loan in 5 minutes for 5.40% on 5 years. They sent me a blank check, so once I find my car, I just fill out the check upto the $35k. They don't care what car or year you want..it's all based on your credit score.

Originally posted by gerald.stowers:
Hello All,

I am working on getting an NSX and have been looking at 1991 - 1992 models. However, I am having trouble finding any financial institute that will loan on a car that old. I have looked both online and my local banks.

Does anyone have any suggestions on financing a car of that age?

Thanks,
Gerald Stowers
San Antonio, TX

Originally posted by NSX-GUY:
I DO believe there are some limitations on amounts and things though.

I believe you're right. I'm not certain, but I think you're limited to loans (or portions of loans) up to the book value of your house, which is your original purchase price plus the cost of any improvements you've made. IOW, the loan can't be based only on the capital gain on paper due to appreciation of the property.

Anybody know for sure?

Originally posted by tewills:
Hey, Goto www.peoplefirst.com I got a $35k loan in 5 minutes for 5.40% on 5 years. They sent me a blank check, so once I find my car, I just fill out the check upto the $35k. They don't care what car or year you want..it's all based on your credit score.

I just bought my car using peoplefirst as well ($47k @ 5 years @ 6.8%) on a private sale, but I don't think they will lend on a car more than 5 years old.

------------------
-ckh

'98 Kaiser Silver NSX
'97 Green Integra GSR

Back