• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX gets no respect!!!!

I look at the NSX in the category of mid-engine cars. That is what I prefer as far as street cars are concerned. I feel that they are more "driver's cars". So as far as performance, what are the best mid-engine cars when you look at price categories? Let's assume we can count used cars because they don't make an NSX anymore:

Less than $20K - MR2 Spyder? One could argue the early 90s turbo.
Less than $50K - NSX (I passed over the Elise because it's just such a poor street car and lap times should be close.)
Less than $75K - NSX however, I will assume that the Cayman has approximately the same performance so one could argue either way. At less than $60K, it would be NSX.

Less than $100K - Ferrari 355 (Now we have left daily driver's behind, but still a better performance car)

Less than $125K - Ferrari 360

Less than $150K - Ford GT

Above (I don't even dream that big).

Comparing cars only being used for the street strictly on HP is like comparing wine solely on the % of alcohol.

cfra7 said:
Good point. How about: The Ford GT is King of the Hill for the Big 3 or; King of the Hill for US cars under $500K or; King of the Hill for any car in the world listing for less than $200K.
That'll work. :smile:

cfra7 said:
Now I would sell my NSX for a Ford GT in a second....
That's a tough one. The NSX was one of my childhood dream cars... I don't think I could part with it. However, the Ford GT is definitely one of my adult dream cars... I'd certainly take one if the price was right.

Thanos said:
Lets stop pissing at one another and lets get straight to the facts: the C6 out accelerates, out brakes, out corners, has more top end, gets better gas mileage, comes with more options than the NSX. This is gonna sting , but what has happened with the NSX is Laziness. Nsx was close to the top(years ago) then it sat on lts laurels and did NOTHING for close to 13 years to significantly improve its car. That in effect has caused the NSX to become 2nd rate performance wise to a slew of new cars. Subaru Wrx STi, Mitsu EVolution, Dodge(the entire SRT8 Line Magnum, Charger, Challenger 300C) all with the SRT8 packag,e Cadillac the 430 hp ver(i believe XLR),BMW M5+6 and a slew of others ALL outperform the NSX. Now that is something to shake your head at as sad. (especially when 35-40k dodges are bested u) Corvette, has GREATLY improved the C6 over the old c5 PLATFORM. It can compete on even or better terms than any car in its class, even those several above. Fact is NSX allowed itself to let time go past . What serious upgrades has the car made in 12
+ years?? Its ok to love a car for whatever reason, but when you refer to C6 vettes as hamburger, and NSX's as Filet-Mignon. I'll guess I'll take 100% Grade A 95% Lean, FRESH USDA beef over 13 yr old hard, dried out , tough as leather, over cooked "filet-mignon" everyday of the week. Man it feels great to be knowing i have a 2006 Z06 on delivery in 3 weeks!! enjoy your car. i will be enjoying mine. Most important thing is safety. Lets not srteet race" In my opinion all owners of exotiics and potent sports cars should take some type of advanced driving course. PS most vette owners can easily afford an NSX Also. No big deal there.

That said, why would anyone buy an Aston Martin Vanquish over a ZO6? They would really have to be stupid to spend 250k on a car thats slower than a ZO6. Especially considering how ugly those Aston Martin cars are...I couldn't imagine walking into my garage and staring at a Vanquish thinking...I could have had a Vette.

chumch said:
That said, why would anyone buy an Aston Martin Vanquish over a ZO6? They would really have to be stupid to spend 250k on a car thats slower than a ZO6. Especially considering how ugly those Aston Martin cars are...I couldn't imagine walking into my garage and staring at a Vanquish thinking...I could have had a Vette.
Oh the sarcasm. Lets not just talk about speed then. For 80k vs 50k WHAT Does the NSX do better than the C6???? Years ago the NSX was far ahead of its contempories. Today it lags behind several "lesser" vehicles , in just about all areas except looks and availability. True, it has a "cult" like following, but to declare it so much better than alot of todays cars is just false. Years ago yes; today no. The NSX is just a dressed up Honda. No matter how you look at it, its a HONDA. It doesnt even come from a long rich heritage of sports car excellence such as Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, or BMW. Its a new ... ahem "old" kid on the block. It took the world by storm at one time. Today, its only an above avg. car with exotic looks,(nothing else spectacular) and a small group of devoted followers. Today its harmless, years ago it had alot of sting. So go ahead and pay 30k more for whatever cosmetic reasons you like. It doesn't change that fact that today, there are clearly better values for that extra 30k. I bought my c6 & I'll invest the extra 30k and buy the next king of the hill in a few years, While i smoke the NSX in all areas with my new 06 Z06. Well, thats over kill; just my daily driver auto c6 can do that. See you all later, This has got to be the most closeminded board i ever visited. According to this board no car in is price range is better than the NSX. Hell, no car is better than the NSX except a few 150k plus exotics. Get real!

Last edited:
Thanos said:
...no car in is price range is better tahn the NSX. Hell, no car is better tahn the NSX except a few 150k plus exotics.

Yes, you finally get it.
Congratulations! :biggrin:

Thanos said:
Oh the sarcasm.

The NSX is just a dressed up Honda. No matter how you look at it its a HONDA.

Oh the snobism. And from whom ? a Corvette guy !!! :biggrin:

Thanos said:
It doesnt even come from a long rich heritage of car excellence such as Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, or BMW.
yeah right, like if Honda's motorsport heritage didn't count. What a true carguy this Thanos is... :eek:

Thanos said:
This has got to be the most closeminded board i ever visited.
Are you for real ? Just stating this contrasts completely with the answers you received, and shows how YOU are the closeminded one.

DONYMO said:
Yes, you finally get it.
Congratulations! :biggrin:
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Ok, I had to find out for myself what all the "hub-bub" about the NSX is. I called 3 dealerships this morning to see if they have any new Nsx's to drive. I was told by all three "no". 1 dealership, Sussman in Maple Shade NJ stated "sorry, I dont think they even make the NSX any more. So, I go over to my neighnors home, we talk cars, then we trade off cars for awhile. He gets to drive my 05 c6 and I promise to let him drive my 06 Z06 when i take delivery in a few weeks. I have to admit, the NSX was better than I imagined. The cabin was nice and roomy,(for a sports car) shifts were precise and smooth, nice clutch feel. Great looking car in and out. In comparision to my vette, the NSX had louder cabin noise, no navigation. The NSX accelerates strong, but compared to the vette is noticeably underpowered, especially during a pass from over 50 mph. Handling on both cars are very different, but excellent. The C6 is smaller than it looks, but is very wide; (short back long front), The NSX(has a short front and long back) Didnt drive the Nsx long enough to adjust to this difference. Still a good handling car. I still dont see or feel what the extra 30k gives you. My neighbor, absolutely loved the c6(couldnt believe how smooth and forgiving the car is) The C6 rides 10x better and smoother than the c5. OK maybe i was little hasty on the NSX. Its a good car, but i still think the c6 is better than the NSX in many areas. The NSX gets my respect though. Very potent, especially for a N/A 6!!!

Last edited:
I can offer a unique prospective since I'm shopping right now for either a C5 Z06 and 91-94 NSX.

Both are AWESOME cars. And deciding which I wanted was/is incredibly hard.

One thing that sways me... My coworkers will always tell me when they saw a NSX over the weekend or at lunch, and they're all excited when they do. Its like they're telling me they saw a rock star or something. On the same hand, I've NEVER had anyone tell me about seeing a corvette on the road.

Also, vettes have lots of problems. Owners will tell you they dont have the build quality of a $50k car. On the other hand, most 15 year old NSXs are troublefree...

PLZ said:
My point was not to denigrate the Corvette (how can calling the Corvette the "best performance value available today" be considered anything other than praise?) nor was it to label the NSX "superior" to the Corvette. The Corvette is clearly one of the most significant production sports cars ever made, for reasons too numerous to list here.

But clearly, while there are VERY FEW sports cars that outperform the new Corvette, there continue to be a large number of sports (and GT) cars that cost more than the new Corvette and continue to be purchased by willing buyers, despite not matching the Corvette's performance. The NSX is among this latter group.

Why is this?
I agree 100%

Thanos said:
The NSX gets my respect though. Very potent of a N/A 6

What a difference a drive makes.

The NSX is far more than the sum of its parts or statistics. It is a very visceral and rewarding experience.

I hope you can now understand why this 'cult' exists and why we follow an old Honda with such fervor and enthusiasm.

I suggest you spend a bit more time behind the wheel if you get a chance, as you really need to stretch the NSX legs. It lives to bounce off the 8000 RPM rev limiter and doesn't really come alive until 5000 RPM.

:smile:

brahtw8 said:

The NSX is far more than the sum of its parts or statistics. It is a very visceral and rewarding experience.

I hope you can now understand why this 'cult' exists and why we follow an old Honda with such fervor and enthusiasm.

I suggest you spend a bit more time behind the wheel if you get a chance, as you really need to stretch the NSX legs. It lives to bounce off the 8000 RPM rev limiter and doesn't really come alive until 5000 RPM.

Very true statement , but you really have to own one to understand it's appeal.

I had to own one to understand it as I could not perceive it price per stats either. Tests drives didn't get it either and crazily enough I bought one with having spent more that two rides in one.
:eek:

Thanos said:
The NSX is just a dressed up Honda. No matter how you look at it its a HONDA.
Thanos, we are all very aware and very proud of the fact that the NSX is just a Honda. However, you should look more into the car's history and you'll realize it is much more than just a "dressed up" model in the lineup. Believe me, once you learn about the car, you'll have much more appreciation for why some Prime members feel the way they do about it. It has nothing to do with the price tag and everything to do with the car itself.

Take a look at what this little known driver had to say about the NSX. http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/rt9906.htm

Don't get me wrong, the corvette is a very capable car. Its wonderful that you're so enthusiastic about your Z06 purchase. I'd love to have one in addition to my NSX, but not instead of. I don't pretend like the NSX is a better performer, but the NSX is the better car for many of us.

brahtw8 said:

It would have been nice to drive the car longer. However, I felt a little uneasy driving my neighbors car so hard.(unexpectant things happen). NSX, didn't have anywhere near the torque or acceleration as the vette, nor was the braking better. Instead, the NSX had a smooth quick acceleration.(definitely felt the powerband above 5500 rpms) Impressive car, but so is the C6. The NSX has deceptive, but very real power. In my opinion, both cars are not for novices, as they can get in over their heads too quickly(both cars are so smooth, and can therefore, lull the novice into a sense of false security). Still do not underestimate the C6(hamburger), it is far ahead of previous vettes in terms of reliability and performance. It can better any car in its class, and is capable of holding its own against exotics that cost twice as much. Can one ask for a bargain better than that? End result: Both cars are winners.

Last edited:
redshift said:
Thanos, we are all very aware and very proud of the fact that the NSX is just a Honda. However, you should look more into the car's history and you'll realize it is much more than just a "dressed up" model in the lineup. Believe me, once you learn about the car, you'll have much more appreciation for why some Prime members feel the way they do about it. It has nothing to do with the price tag and everything to do with the car itself.

Take a look at what this little known driver had to say about the NSX. http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Media/magazines/rt9906.htm

Don't get me wrong, the corvette is a very capable car. Its wonderful that you're so enthusiastic about your Z06 purchase. I'd love to have one in addition to my NSX, but not instead of. I don't pretend like the NSX is a better performer, but the NSX is the better car for many of us.
Sir, I cannot agree more with your comments. Like a said previously, I'm not here to stir up trouble. I came here to learn more about a car that i liked. What I didnt appreciate was the C6 being called "Hamburger" I responded to that reply with performance stats. As a result, i get flamed for defending my Car. Wouldnt you NSX owners have done the same thing? Its amazing how a difference of opinion with someone, can result in such insecurity, as to resort to name calling. We would all like to think that our cars are the ultimate, and flawless. However, they are not. Enjoy your NSX's as much as I enjoy my C6 and soon to be Z06, and we are all happy!

Last edited:
Thanos said:
It would have been nice to drive the car longer. However, I felt a little uneasy driving my neighbors car so hard.(unexpectant things happen). NSX, didn't have anywhere near the torque or acceleration as the vette, nor was the braking better. Instead, the NSX had a smooth quick acceleration.(definitely felt the powerband above 5500 rpms) Impressive car, but so is the C6. The NSX has deceptive, but very real power. In my opinion, both cars are not for novices, as they can get in over their heads too quickly(both cars are to smooth and can lull the novice into a sense of false security). Still do not underestimate the C6(hamburger), it is far ahead of previous vettes in terms of reliability and performance. It can better any car in its class, and is capable of holding its own against exotics that cost twice as much. Can one ask for a bargain better than that? End result: Both cars are winners.
Guys,
Be easy on Thanos. I read what he has been writing and he has been very positive about the NSX from the beginning. And what he said about the Z06 being faster and more powerful is just simple fact as much as some of you don't like it. We need to judge the NSX with today standard since it was still being produced and sold yesteryear. If Honda is to make a new mid engine sport car with only 290hp V6, and the performance and specs of the 2005 NSX and charges $90k+, the whole world will laugh their asses off . Even us diehard NSX guys will boo that thing off the stage in a heartbeat. I will always love the early NSX since I am an older guy and remembers the glories of the NSX in early days. But I have to say that for the past 5 years, I have been quite disappointed in Honda dragging the NSX on and letting it lose "respect" from the general public. Even Ferrari, who enjoys the automotive royalty status, got their act together and continue to build what they do best but also with better quality control. Honda on the other end, was in their trance of euphoria of the INITIAL NSX launch and was smoking that crap for the past 15 years. The whole scene reminded me of the Race between the Rabbit and the Turtle. I don't like 2002+ NSX which I think is like a woman in their 50's getting a face lift, a breast lift, and a tummy tug so to desperately want to still run with the 20 something. It has NO additional substance to get the job done.The result? People cringe and lose respect. We can only blame Honda for being so lazy sitting on its ass and bringing the downfall of the NSX. I wish the NSX only had a production run of 3-5 years top and would be remembered as "THE" car. We all love our NSXs here, but I feel that some of us are perhaps too irrationally trying to defend this "superiority" over other cars. Z06s are extremely capable cars. I don't like them for a few reasons, but they are fast and powerful as hell and certainly has earned its medals in the performance aspect.
Steve

Thanos said:
Ok, I had to find out for myself what all the "hub-bub" about the NSX is. I called 3 dealerships this morning to see if they have any new Nsx's to drive. I was told by all three "no". 1 dealership, Sussman in Maple Shade NJ stated "sorry, I dont think they even make the NSX any more. So, I go over to my neighnors home, we talk cars, then we trade off cars for awhile. He gets to drive my 05 c6 and I promise to let him drive my 06 Z06 when i take delivery in a few weeks. I have to admit, the NSX was better than I imagined. The cabin was nice and roomy,(for a sports car) shifts were precise and smooth, nice clutch feel. Great looking car in and out. In comparision to my vette, the NSX had louder cabin noise, no navigation. The NSX accelerates strong, but compared to the vette is noticeably underpowered, especially during a pass from over 50 mph. Handling on both cars are very different, but excellent. The C6 is smaller than it looks, but is very wide; (short back long front), The NSX(has a short front and long back) Didnt drive the Nsx long enough to adjust to this difference. Still a good handling car. I still dont see or feel what the extra 30k gives you. My neighbor, absolutely loved the c6(couldnt believe how smooth and forgiving the car is) The C6 rides 10x better and smoother than the c5. OK maybe i was little hasty on the NSX. Its a good car, but i still think the c6 is better than the NSX in many areas. The NSX gets my respect though. Very potent of a N/A 6

Now, that was certainly an initiative I'd call constructive. Good job !

I completely agree with your assessment on acceleration as the difference is huge between the two cars. At HPDE the c6s I just passed in the corners (technical part of CMP or Road Atlanta) pass right by me in the straights, just before I start passing them again one by one in the corners. The torque and resulting HP of the c6 are no match to the NSX, that is a given.

On the handling part however, I am sure you could not possible test the limit as you were on public roads. If you ever have the chance to try them both you will notice that the way to drive both cars is almost 100% opposite.

Where on both cars you will use throttle in the corners, the NSX will tuck-in the turn by lifting the gas where on the c6 you will have to get on it. Where you wait on the c6 for the suspension to do it's part and the weight to shift before you turn and start accelerating, in the NSX you actually need to anticipate that the car is about to start turning and need to be focused in order not to be surprised by it.

At the limit, the NSX can get tricky and there is what I like to call a "point of no-return" where it becomes a matter of faith that you WILL make that turn at the speed you are going. If you lift now, it's too late and eventhough your mind tells you to, you MUST keep your foot down. The result is a very quick corner carying a lot of speed where other vehicle just can't, and a huge grin on your face thinking "I can't believe I just did this", eventhough you do it lap after lap. And that "lack" of huge torque numbers compared to the c6 is actually working for you at that point (through the apex and the exit) as you can lay down the power just enough in order not to have the rear wheels start spinning. Even in the NSX, if you dont do the acceleration part right, you will spin out, even without the torque the c6 has. On the other hand the c6 has a more predictable, benigne, "point-and-shoot" handling which after the front tire's grip is max'ed out will start understeering and with the help of the accelerator you will do a nice power slide if you have to. Not as fast as the NSX, but easier for the experienced driver and much more forgiving for the rookie.

What I love on the c6 and wish I had on the NSX is the HUD, which I hope we get one on the next "NSX"

Now that you did the first step by driving one on the road, work on convincing your neighbord to let you drive it on the track. :cool:

apapada said:
Now, that was certainly an initiative I'd call constructive. Good job !

I completely agree with your assessment on acceleration as the difference is huge between the two cars. At HPDE the c6s I just passed in the corners (technical part of CMP or Road Atlanta) pass right by me in the straights, just before I start passing them again one by one in the corners. The torque and resulting HP of the c6 are no match to the NSX, that is a given.

On the handling part however, I am sure you could not possible test the limit as you were on public roads. If you ever have the chance to try them both you will notice that the way to drive both cars is almost 100% opposite.

Where on both cars you will use throttle in the corners, the NSX will tuck-in the turn by lifting the gas where on the c6 you will have to get on it. Where you wait on the c6 for the suspension to do it's part and the weight to shift before you turn and start accelerating, in the NSX you actually need to anticipate that the car is about to start turning and need to be focused in order not to be surprised by it.

At the limit, the NSX can get tricky and there is what I like to call a "point of no-return" where it becomes a matter of faith that you WILL make that turn at the speed you are going. If you lift now, it's too late and eventhough your mind tells you to, you MUST keep your foot down. The result is a very quick corner carying a lot of speed where other vehicle just can't, and a huge grin on your face thinking "I can't believe I just did this", eventhough you do it lap after lap. And that "lack" of huge torque numbers compared to the c6 is actually working for you at that point (through the apex and the exit) as you can lay down the power just enough in order not to have the rear wheels start spinning. Even in the NSX, if you dont do the acceleration part right, you will spin out, even without the torque the c6 has. On the other hand the c6 has a more predictable, benigne, "point-and-shoot" handling which after the front tire's grip is max'ed out will start understeering and with the help of the accelerator you will do a nice power slide if you have to. Not as fast as the NSX, but easier for the experienced driver and much more forgiving for the rookie.

What I love on the c6 and wish I had on the NSX is the HUD, which I hope we get one on the next "NSX"

Now that you did the first step by driving one on the road, work on convincing your neighbord to let you drive it on the track. :cool:
Honestly, I dont think I'm a good enough driver for the track...yet. Once the Z06 arrives, I will be taking her to an advanced driving school to learn more about performance driving. The HUD display on the C6 gives you about 10 different lay-out views to choose from. The only time I look at my HUD is when i "floor" the vette and want to see how fast I'm going. Just a quick look and you instantly see mph, rpm, g-force , oil pressure, trans temp etc(whatever your settings are)sure is easier an safer than looking at the speedo. The NSX felt incredibly sticky, which is good. I just needed more time and a longer drive to adjust to the difference between the two cars. The active -handling and traction control on the vette, makes up for a lot of driver error. I'm sure that with a more experienced driver than myself, the handling of the two cars would be equal, or maybe even superior for the NSX.

Back