• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX is gone... need opinions

Hey guys.
The NSX was finally sold today and I watched it drive off into the sunset. Hopefully the new owner will show up on these forums shortly. He is an owner in Washington.

Now I am faced with picking up a 4 door. It needs to be fairly cheap, yet something fun to drive that I can enjoy. I dislike large cars so all SUVS are out. I want a sedan.

So far from my research... the frontrunner for a replacement is a Scooby. For 25K I can get a fun AWD car with good acceleration. I don't know another in the price range that can match up so far. It also seems to cost under 3K to modify near 300HP. Some more into brakes and suspension and I can have a fun car with my reuqired 4 doors.

My other consideration is the EVO VIII. That looks like it may be an awesome car and will have 4 doors. Problem is, that car will be closer to 30K MSRP and is not out until January. In addition, the first run is very limited and dealers may be marking up big time which I will refuse to pay.

Do I wait. Take a chance? Hope I can find an EVO at MSRP and actually get my hands on one? Or do I pick up the Scooby, an excellent car for the money which I can get NOW (discounts on 02 models), and run with that?

I would really appreciate info from current WRX owners, links, opinions, etc. I'll be checking their boards, but wanted some opinions from Prime. This is still my home for now... although the car is gone.
sob sob

Maybe my next handle will be SonofNos and I can use Minime.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 14 September 2002).]

[This message has been edited by ilya (edited 14 September 2002).]

ilya,

Sorry to hear that your baby is gone but also happy for you that you finally sold it. I hope you got a good price!

Forgive my ignorance but, what in the heck is a "Scooby"???

-Swish

[This message has been edited by TheSwishh (edited 15 September 2002).]

I assume a Scooby is a WRX? That is the only car that fits your profile.

I get way too many car mags but something to consider for a little more money would be a Infinity G35. For about your money you can get a great deal right now on a Maxima (very quick).

Good luck - sorry to see sell her...

Neighbor has a WRX and she loves it, she is 50 years old. The EVO may be premium in LA but msrp or less in other parts of the country. e.g. BMW M3 has 20K premium at Concord BMW in SF, CA for car on the lot, 9-12 month wait in MI but msrp, order now for next build/delivery at the BMW dealer in Albany, NY for msrp. If you want the EVO and can wait, you may be able to do a nationwide search knowing that you may have to have it delivered or you have to pick it up yourself.

Tim

Used E36 M3 4-dr should be in the same price range. They drive pretty much identically to the 2-dr. version, which isn't too shabby.

ilya,

I don't have the WRX so I can't comment on that. I do have a Forester which uses the same type AWD platform but no high performance type options, turbo or otherwise.

I have a little discomfort with engine knock (diagnosed as "piston slap" that is supposedly characteristic of the opposed four design, ... I have heard the same in another Forester) and the AWD system occasionally reminds you that there is more slack in the system than a two wheel system.

The comfort and handling are fine for the kind of car I have, but it is nothing like the WRX I would imagine.

I have had the car since Christmas, bought used. I have had a few emission system issues that have been elusive and expensive, and three wheel bearings (same wheel, two in one day! = two incompetent shops on the road), and the mileage is slightly worse than the NSX (with the same driver) but the gas is regular on the Forester.

This is info about the brand more than the specific car you want. I am not that upset with the car since it does the things I need it for, but I am now real wary about emergency repairs on the road and unhappy that the dealers weren't helpful with my emission system problems.

anvil

I would get a 4-dr E36 M3 as Number9 suggested.

Best of both worlds!!!

Practicality and tons of sporting fun factor combined into a nice BMW package for a very good price! Can't beat that.

Get a Caddy STS - 300hp right out the gate stock. I've had mine since 94 when I bought it new - it has 120K now & still going strong. I didn't spend a dime on it through 100K other than consumables - batteries, brakes, tires, oil, filters, belts etc. Mobil 1 the whole way. (OK - I replaced a sway bar clamp that broke - $5, 5 mins!) Seriously, that is absolutely true.
Since then I've had a few replacements but over the long haul, what a deal!
Its the perfect big sedan, the Northstar V8 really kicks. Drive one, it'll surprise you.
This isn't your father's Cadillac - err, wait I think that's some other old geezer car.
wink.gif

Originally posted by D'Ecosse:
Get a Caddy STS - 300hp right out the gate stock.
wink.gif

Caddy? That sounds a bit luxury compare to WRX and EVO or S4. I have never driven one, but that would be interesting to see run the mountain roads.

300hp sounds great, but I highly doubt corner-carving is the Caddy's cup of tea.

Get the 4dr E36 M3. You can take the family to the opera on a Sat night, and the next morning be cranking out kick-a** laptimes at Willow Springs...even with a child seat in the back!

the caddy or lincoln for performance/luxury combo would be my pick.

but my overall winner would be the m3. what a great allaround performance sedan.

the tl type s isnt too bad either. but i think the body sway could use some aftermarket work, and has anybody heard of aftermarket engine tweaks for the tl??

the audis are great, but im personally not sure about the looks...

Originally posted by nsx2000:
Caddy? That sounds a bit luxury compare to WRX and EVO or S4. I have never driven one, but that would be interesting to see run the mountain roads.

I have driven the STS quite a bit. Feels like a much smaller car than it is. Ridiculously smooth riding. Cool instrument displays, soft leather, plenty of power.

The A4, in my opinion, is a Jetta with a better paint job. Feels nimble and tight, but lacks something intangible...

My "$0.02"

I think someone on this forum has a modded TL-S. I think that would be my choice for bang for the buck. If money is no object, M3.

Originally posted by JimK:
I think someone on this forum has a modded TL-S. I think that would be my choice for bang for the buck. If money is no object, M3.

I think that would be me!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Hate to see your car go..
frown.gif

Now there should be some questions answered other than you want a four door vehicle.

If you want the power of AWD, Consider the EVO or WRX. Personally, I like the EVO just a tad bit better, The WRX engine noise sounds like it wants to stall on you.

Also, if you do consider the Lancer EVO, you can get one now; instead of waiting. Check out www.evolutionimports.com . They are located in the Santa Ana area, and they import German LHD EVO's. Price around $39K. I saw a Yellow EVO a few weeks back in Stanton, so I thought I do some digging around that city, and I found this shop.

Other cars, you can consider, like the other board members mentioned, the Audi and BMW.
biggrin.gif

As for the TL-S, it's a very nice car, as I own one. Very luxurious, and sporty! It has nice handling, but you'll really need the sway bars to lessen the horrible body roll. As far as engine modifications go, Intake, Headers, Pulleys, Exhaust, and a S/C. I'm actually very pleased with my car, cause the looks are incredible, and the pulling power is great! And the engine sounds awesome.
biggrin.gif

But if you ultimately want a Turbo application or RWD/AWD, look into the choices above.

[This message has been edited by ElegantTL-S (edited 19 September 2002).]

Back