• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX key replacement help!!!!!

Has anyone ever went to the dealer and replace their keys?? I bought my car over 5 years ago and had only 1 key. I have title in hand as proof of ownership. Hopefully Acura guide me the right way. Thanks guys

Has anyone ever went to the dealer and replace their keys?? I bought my car over 5 years ago and had only 1 key. I have title in hand as proof of ownership. Hopefully Acura guide me the right way. Thanks guys

If you have one working key, they don’t need title in hand. After all, you have a key already!

As for how the process works... since you have an 02, it has the immobilizer system. With that system in the NSX, there are essentially two ways they can make keys for your car.

The first and easiest way is that they get a new programmable key and use your key to BOTH cut and copy the immobilizer code to the new key. When done, it is essentially an exact duplicate of your key mechanically and digitally so it will start your car.

The second way requires use of the RED key that came with every immobilizer NSX. This is a programming key that is unique to the immobilizer unit in your car. There is only one red key per immobilizer unit, so if you don’t have this key, you cannot use this method. If you do have the key, how it works is that the dealer will order a new normal immobilizer key for your car and cut it either by copying your key or using the mechanical key code to remake your cut. That’s the physical side of things. These normal immobilizer keys have an immobilizer code built in and are not programmable like the keys I mentioned in first method above. The dealer will then use the red key to program the new key into your immobilizer unit. So in essence they are telling the car to accept the code for this new key. I call this the more proper way of getting a new key because then the key is exactly like a new key that would have come from the factory...and not a programmable key.

Actually, there is a third way if you don’t have the red key and that is to order a replacement immobilizer unit which will come with a new red key. Then you can use the second method above.

Hope this gives you some insight on how keys work on an NSX!

Last edited:
If you have one working key, they don’t need title in hand. After all, you have a key already!

As for how the process works... since you have an 02, it has the immobilizer system. With that system in the NSX, there are essentially two ways they can make keys for your car.

The first and easiest way is that they get a new programmable key and use your key to BOTH cut and copy the immobilizer code to the new key. When done, it is essentially an exact duplicate of your key mechanically and digitally so it will start your car.

The second way requires use of the RED key that came with every immobilizer NSX. This is a programming key that is unique to the immobilizer unit in your car. There is only one red key per immobilizer unit, so if you don’t have this key, you cannot use this method. If you do have the key, how it works is that the dealer will order a new normal immobilizer key for your car and cut it either by copying your key or using the mechanical key code to remake your cut. That’s the physical side of things. These normal immobilizer keys have an immobilizer code built in and are not programmable like the keys I mentioned in first method above. The dealer will then use the red key to program the new key into your immobilizer unit. So in essence they are telling the car to accept the code for this new key. I call this the more proper way of getting a new key because then the key is exactly like a new key that would have come from the factory...and not a programmable key.

Actually, there is a third way if you don’t have the red key and that is to order a replacement immobilizer unit which will come with a new red key. Then you can use the second method above.

I have a 1991 with an 02 front. So I don’t have an immobilized key. I do have a key but it’s worn out bad. I really need a new key as if I completely lost all my keys . I need a new cut key to see if my cylinder is the issue. Please see my thread on DIY to see my issue. Thanks

Oh, in that case it should be even easier. It’s just a mechanical key with no electronics. If your key is so worn out that you’d rather get a new key as if you lost all your keys, then the dealer will want title or registration to show proof you are owner. Then they can look up your key code based on the vin number and create you a new key based on the original locks on the car.

Of course, this works only if the locks are all original and the cylinders are not worn out. Otherwise you’d have to order and replace your lock cylinders.

Last edited:
Really appreciate the feedback!!! This community is top notch! Thanks! I believe it’s all original. As the key works for everything. Thanks again

$65 at local hardware store but without the acura logo. Many hardware stores
can program a key for you.

Curious how much I should expect to pay for a replacement with Immobilizer?

I could be 100% wrong in this arena as I have a 91 so no immobilizer. But I have read that if you have the key "cloned" it should only cost you about $10. You can buy blank Acura or Honda keys with immobilizers in them on eBay for pretty cheap and then it's a matter of having the code in your current key "cloned" to the blank. Actually having the immobilizer in the car programmed to accept a new code is the more expensive route.

Again take this all with a grain of salt as I cannot 100% confirm the accuracy of my statements. All of what I said above is based on [MENTION=31071]texmorales[/MENTION] thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-NSX-quot-Titanium-quot-Monel-Key-work-for-97

Your $10 might be true without the immobilizer which would mean just cutting the key. Programming the immobilizer key requires
an expensive machine and a programmable key.

Your $10 might be true without the immobilizer which would mean just cutting the key. Programming the immobilizer key requires
an expensive machine and a programmable key.

Perhaps this is more semantics than anything else and it appears I may have used the wrong terms. What I was trying to say was that based on the above thread I linked it appears it's rather cheap to buy a blank "programmable" key. Then, if the Red Immobilizer key is not available, it should be rather inexpensive (again based on the above thread) to take the blank "programmable" key and the OP's current operational key that he uses to drive the car to a locksmith and have the chip inside the blank programmable key "cloned" with the code that is on the chip in the working key. I agree that having to buy a new immobilizer or immobilizer key would be an expensive endeavor.

This has a very good explanation of how the immobilizer key works.

Yes I read the link. What that guy did was operate on a working worn out key and take the small transmitter for the immobilizer out and installed it in his key fob. That is a little more fiddling than I am willing. But the operation would result in having just the one key. I agree that would be cheap to do. But $65 for another clone key programmed from a hardware store is cheap to me. My local Acura dealer could make me a key if I had the red key which I don't. Key was $70 and $150 to program it. What I ended up doing is having the combination of the valet key and an un-programmed key cut. The valet key works the ignition and the cut key opens the doors. BTW a locksmith I have used before will copy the code but charges the same $65 whether you or he supplies the key blank.

Last edited:
Guys, if you are paying anyone $65 dollars to cut you an new key based off your existing working key and "clone" your existing immobilizer code to the new key you are flat out getting ripped off. Point blank. My thread was to instruct later year car owners on how to make a titanium/monel key work on our later cars with the immobilizer. You have to put the immobilizer chip somewhere and I choose to hide it in my key fob. You could always just attach it to the ignition cylinder as well. But that is not very secure. My way forces people to know the trick to start your car. Also, I made several spare keys in the process. So i did not ruin my one good key. I cut up one of my numerous cloned copies to get the immobilizer chip out of the key head for my use stated above.

Anyways. If you have a working key which has the immobilizer chip in the key head. You simply buy blank honda/acura keys with the built in immobilizer chip off ebay for $5-10 bucks. You can get several at that price all day long. Then take it to your local locksmith or hardware store and have them clone your existing key to the blanks you got off ebay for a few bucks. You can make millions of copies this way utilizing the same immobilizer code and have as many working spare keys as you want.

The whole red key business only matters if you want to program additional new codes to the immobilizer to recognize. I believe the system can retain 6-8 different codes. But that is pointless as you only need one functioning code, since all the keys are going to be physically cut the same. Who cares if you have different codes that start the car? You only need one.

Guys, if you are paying anyone $65 dollars to cut you an new key based off your existing working key and "clone" your existing immobilizer code to the new key you are flat out getting ripped off. Point blank. My thread was to instruct later year car owners on how to make a titanium/monel key work on our later cars with the immobilizer. You have to put the immobilizer chip somewhere and I choose to hide it in my key fob. You could always just attach it to the ignition cylinder as well. But that is not very secure. My way forces people to know the trick to start your car. Also, I made several spare keys in the process. So i did not ruin my one good key. I cut up one of my numerous cloned copies to get the immobilizer chip out of the key head for my use stated above.

Anyways. If you have a working key which has the immobilizer chip in the key head. You simply buy blank honda/acura keys with the built in immobilizer chip off ebay for $5-10 bucks. You can get several at that price all day long. Then take it to your local locksmith or hardware store and have them clone your existing key to the blanks you got off ebay for a few bucks. You can make millions of copies this way utilizing the same immobilizer code and have as many working spare keys as you want.

The whole red key business only matters if you want to program additional new codes to the immobilizer to recognize. I believe the system can retain 6-8 different codes. But that is pointless as you only need one functioning code, since all the keys are going to be physically cut the same. Who cares if you have different codes that start the car? You only need one.

I agree that your method works. I'm just not willing to go to that much fiddling. I went to Acura and bought a duplicate key before I knew about my non existing red key. I have two keys, one that came with the car and a combo of the valet key to start the car and the duplicate key that won't start the car to open the doors and trunk. I've left it there. I only talked to one locksmith as I was satisfied with what I have. Perhaps I could find someone else who would program a $5 T-5 key cheaply but it's not on my priority list. To program a T-5 key requires a dedicated machine. Blank Acura key is a ROM and can't be reprogrammed is what I understand. Acura has a blank T-5 key? My Acura dealer wants $70 for a key that can't be programmed and didn't know about T-5 keys.

Just to be clear there are at least 3 ways to get another key:

1- Your way which requires key surgery, cheapest, you moved your key immobilizer chip to the remote control which would not require a programmed key to start the car
2- get a new programmable T-5 key and use your key to BOTH cut and copy the immobilizer code to the new key. $65 at MY local hardware store.
3-
use of the RED key that came with every immobilizer NSX $70 for key and $150 to program the immobilizer at MY Acura dealer

Last edited:
Back