• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX making diesel sound???

I changed out my coolant tank and when I was watching for leaks I noticed my car makes a noise while the motor is running that sounds similar to a diesel engine. I've read something on this before but can't find it now and wanted to find out if this is a bad thing.:redface:

Maybe the cooling system has air trapped in the lines and is causing your car to overheat. I seem to remember reading something about taking great care to bleed out all the air during cooling system maintenance.

Last edited:
Just curious, but why does everyone think that diesel sound means that its overheating? I'm curious as to how loud this diesel sound is, because my NSX idles louder than I would expect out of an Acura/Honda.

Chris@SoS said:
Noisey when valve to rocker clearance is not adjusted properly or is out of adjustment.

-- Chris

Hi Chris,

Just curious, but if someone were to not perform the valve adjustment for an extended period of time, would that cause damage to the motor?

I can't wait to see/feel the difference when LarryB gets ahold of my car - TGFL! (Thank God For Larry - he's local!).

flyeyes said:
I changed out my coolant tank and when I was watching for leaks I noticed my car makes a noise while the motor is running that sounds similar to a diesel engine. I've read something on this before but can't find it now and wanted to find out if this is a bad thing.:redface:

Many cars sound "clackety" when the hood is open, with the engine at idle. In some cars the valve train is noisy, but unless the noise is really loud, it's probably normal as fuel injectors tend to make a distinctive clicking sound, which sorta sounds like a diesel clatter, only not nearly as loud.

- Stock clutch can be realy noisy, most of the times compared with a bucket of marbles shakin around. Use the clutch, see if it goes.
- Injectors are noisy.
- LMD's (LMA's) can be very, very noisy.

And what the rest said.

Thanks for the info all. The sound it's making isn't bad to where I would hear it at driving or even in the car.

I noticed the sound when I was checking my coolant tank. I just stuck my head over the motor and listened for a second. I know it wasn't the cooling system but more valve related. I just didn't know if it was something that was common.

So from what everyone is saying this sounds like a common thing with our cars and I am a little more at ease now.:tongue:

I've only had my car since Sept of 2005, so I'm still learning ALOT about the car in general. Thanks all.

I'll add another possibility. I had a diesel-engine-like sound at idle from my Prelude last year which turned out to be due to a failing timing belt tensioner leaving the belt a little loose. How long since your timing belt service was done?

Back