• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX natural weak points?

Enjoy the hunt... now the choices... colors, years, etc.

Tim has a very nice Sebring Silver one (91 NA1), with current maintenance I believe still on the market.

But you might be looking to keep the Red's in your stable.

I was at a show a week or so back and one of the judges was telling me that the Acura/Honda red was his favorite red.

As for WB/TB... I've heard people who have had them done for under $1k to $1,200. Do it yourself and save more.... but you are familiar with Ferrari service charges and I doubt there is anything on the NSX that compares...

Welcome to Prime by the way.

- Rod

Thats true, but I've done two at dealerships and they were $2k and I can show the receipts :) Other things usually get done at the same time, to be fair, but that is what it is. TB/WP alone, purely by itself, is $1500-$1800 at most dealers.

If you have access to LarryB or one of the other *phenomenal* independents then you can save a bit.

I dont know where you can get a TB/WP done by a pro for $1k. Larry B is as straight of a straight shooter as exists, and probably the best NSX mechanic in the country, and Im 99.9% sure he cant do it for $1k.

Its a tough job and I think its a lot more important to get it done right than to get it done cheaply.

Now of course it goes without saying obviously that if you CAN do it yourself and WANT to (as is the case with the OP), then thats a totally different story.

Anything someone can do themselves, whether its paint a house or rebuild an engine, obviously then becomes just the cost of parts.

Most people arent able to do a timing belt change on a Civic, much less an NSX though, so I think representing this service at typical dealer price (rather than "heard it got done for" price or "just parts all labor yourself" price) makes the most sense. Folks can than adjust the guidance based on their knowledge of their own situation.

Last edited:
Probably the weakest point with the NSX is selling it. Many have sold them just to wind up back in one later.:wink:

There are weak links---early cars===door window lifts, interior door handles, trans snap rings, bose amps, etc. Over time, harmonic balancers, main start relay--but for the most part, not much different then an Acura Legand or Honda Accord with V6. In fact the acura V6 in the sedan looks very much like the NSX3.0 or 3.2. The thing that makes the NSX stand out is the styling, the performance and the outstanding reliability. You can just get it anytime and drive the dam thing anywhere and not worry about tempermental crap. It does have all the typical potential failures as any early 90s technology but that said--it is a blast to drive. Saturday I ran head to head with a 90's Carrera with me more surprized then him. I pushed the old girl up to 125 on kentucky back roads and all it wanted was more. Today I went to have a slow tire leak checked only to find that the 14yr old rubber was delaminating in the rear. I guess they don't make tires like the used to! hehehehe---Drive one, check out the mechanicals, talk to one of our tech pro's and you will be sold.

Probably the weakest point with the NSX is selling it. Many have sold them just to wind up back in one later.:wink:

Yeah, Like us...except you (lucky dog) got your's back :tongue: Rick probably wouldn't let me buy mine back..:frown:

Weak Spots, what car doesn't have them? But in this category of car, the NSX is the most reliable and affordable of any car in it's class. Nuff said!
Good Luck and Welcome to NSXPrime.

.... Haha. Well, you'd be hard-pressed finding a newer Ferrari owner claiming their 360 or 430 has more soul than a early carbureted 308 or Boxer. The newer Ferrari's are brilliant, but they lack that special spark, feel, smell, whatever you want to call it, that the 30+ y/o cars have...

LOL!! Not hard to comprehend at all.

It's just the same as comparing 18-25 year olds at their prime to us gentlemen at 30+, 40+, 50+ and beyond. Sure our muscles can't hang with them youngsters in the gym, keep up with them on the track or any other athletic events for that matter, downgraded alcohol tolerance, slower recovery from hangovers, etc... BUT we most certainly are more wise, have more charm and soul.

It's much easier to pick up girls now than I was in college (actually, not really, because I'm married. Otherwise... muhahahaha :cool:)

I drive my car everyday for 10 years. So far the only problem was the climate control (blows high) and weak window motor (replace with new). And also you might want to replace the ignition coil gasket if the car is old just to prevent water from getting to the coils. I also drive real fast everytime I got the chance. I even drove it in the flood twice (one was photograph in our local newspaper). Mine is a 1991 model.

Last edited:
You guys are making this easy. Thanks to everyone for being so inviting and forthcoming with information. I will give the Zanardi search a couple months and see what I find, but should something of interest present itself I may just take the plunge.

Some eye candy might be in order. 288GTO motor at the museum in Maranello and a pic of my motor being prepped to drop back into the car last year.

Attachments

• 288gto motor.jpg
    288gto motor.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 118
  • all together.jpg
    all together.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 126
Biggest weak point no one has mentioned yet is that it's a total dude magnet.

A few things, don't buy anything on ebay sight unseen. Don't buy the first car you see. There are plenty of mint 91-94 cars with factory service around
28-35k.

Nothing has ever broken on my car and nothing out of outside of factory recommended service/wear and tear items has been needed.

If you like working on your Ferrari, you will soon learn the NSX is a wonderful car to work on yourself. I put a full turbo system (Angux AP-X) in by myself with no lift, just jackstands. Nearly 1 year and the power is amazing!

I'm sold. Thanks much guys. I will start the search

Back to the weak points: 210 ft lbs of torque is pretty weak. Early cars need more HP, steering is very heavy around town, and the big point that will bother you is that you can't get this car to sound good below 5k. IMO thats the one problem that you will not be able to fix. It really does sound like a sewing machine. A proper sports car needs to have a coherent sound thruout the RPM range. The car is so good though, it would take an upgrade to a 430 minimum for me to do a trade.

Back to the weak points: 210 ft lbs of torque is pretty weak. Early cars need more HP, steering is very heavy around town, and the big point that will bother you is that you can't get this car to sound good below 5k. IMO thats the one problem that you will not be able to fix. It really does sound like a sewing machine. A proper sports car needs to have a coherent sound thruout the RPM range. The car is so good though, it would take an upgrade to a 430 minimum for me to do a trade.

You should try the B&B Tri-Flo DTM exhaust then. My car sounds badass from 800-8000 rpm. :D Rumbles at 800, howls at 5000 and ROARS at 8000. :cool:

You should try the B&B Tri-Flo DTM exhaust then. My car sounds badass from 800-8000 rpm. :D Rumbles at 800, howls at 5000 and ROARS at 8000. :cool:

My Tubi also sounds awesome all throughout the rev range. :biggrin:

Besides, I think the OP was referring to hidden issues, things that may leave you stranded or may cost you more if not watched and maintained. Honcho's initial post in this regard was pretty comprehensive and perhaps should be stickied somewhere or have its own page in the wiki.

Don't forget the driver can be a pretty weak link too....just sayin.

I'm looking more for driver satisfaction and ease of use over sound. Nothing is going to beat a Ferrari sound IMO

I'm going to monitor the market for a Zanardi edition. They are collectible and it's a car I would want to leave completely stock. If I change my mind, it will be for a late 90s 3.2 which I will leave NA, but plug in ITBs, exhaust manifolds etc, and run things with a Motec or the like. Unless it's an F40 or 959, turbos and supercharging is cheating (haha, I just prefer NA).

A nice Zanardi does not come on the market very often. But good luck in your search. If you are not into froggie lights, I'm not either, then that leaves you with 1991-2001. Then I would pick the best of what is available. That is NA1 or Na2 or whatever, all depends on your needs. No reference made to performance being critical, so pay less for a 1991-1994 vs 2001. However, some manufacturer things were fixed as the years go by that you should be aware of. Good luck in your search.

If a targa is for you then a 1995-1996 NA1 is best value for money, unless, the performance is so so important that is in the 1997-2001.

Last edited:
i would have to agree, i don't think any other road car can sound better than a Ferrari...

I don't know I think an NSX with ITB's is close... if not better than all but a few F's.

I'm looking more for driver satisfaction and ease of use over sound. Nothing is going to beat a Ferrari sound IMO

I disagree, the f355 at work with what seems like straight pipes sounds like a riced out Honda civic....I actually thought it was for the longest time until I finally saw the car pull in.

Other than that, I would say F cars sound great most of the time.

Also, regarding the cost of maintenance. Its all relative, kinda like how how 308s are much cheaper THAN a Zenardi edition NSX.

Last edited:
I disagree, the f355 at work with what seems like straight pipes sounds like a riced out Honda civic....I actually thought it was for the longest time until I finally saw the car pull in.

Other than that, I would say F cars sound great most of the time.

Also, regarding the cost of maintenance. Its all relative, kinda like how how 308s are much cheaper THAN a Zenardi edition NSX.

I've heard *many* Ferraris as have most enthusiasts. I think if you did a survey you'd find 90%+ people lust for the sound of a Ferrari. I think you'd also find that many agree that the F355 is an absolute *high bar* among modern Ferraris in terms of aural sensation.

I have *never* heard, even from folks who prefer, say, the lumpy cam burble of a big block, *anyone* compare a F355 to a riced out Civic.

You may *literally* be the only person on earth who has ever uttered that opinion and Im *not* exaggerating. Are you sure its an *actual* F355 and not some POS kit? I'd bet money either you're way off or that is *not* a real Ferrari.

Pure Italian Sexy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdq00yG-bA0&feature=related

Totally random clip... F1? yes "fart can"? No

Pure POS Ricer Sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGZksIKNuXI

F1? no "fart can"? Yes

Last edited:
Back