• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Prime member in Sport Compact Car magazine’s “Ultimate Street Car Challenge”

Hey guys,

Go pick up the latest issue (11/05) of Sport Compact Car magazine (“SCC”) at newsstands now. One of the cars competing in this year’s prestigious Ultimate Street Car Challenge (“USCC”) is Prime member Danny Young’s (Lowellhigh79) stunning red 1992 twin turbo NSX. I think this may be the first time that an NSX might have a chance to finally win this annual competition. But Danny definitely has his hands full. Just take a look at the competition; they include a 650+ whp Skyline, 500+ whp Crawford STI and an FD RX7 with a modded 427 cubic inch C6 Z06 motor just to name 3 of these 10 demented, cost no object participants.

Even more impressive about the inclusion of Danny’s NSX in the USCC is the fact that he is only 1 of 3 privateers in this year’s SCC competition with the other 7 entrants being hardcore tuner cars built by the sports car fanatics that do this for a living versus a part-time hobbyist like Danny Young. Or should I say obsessionist?

In my opinion, previous NSX entrants were easily outgunned by the competition, but if you have ever seen Danny Young’s NSX, you will come to the realization that this is most likely the most highly developed NSX street car on planet Earth. Bar none!

His car has only the finest performance products and many of his modifications are custom one off creations, unlike many tuner cars that simply bolt on off the shelf parts from various manufacturers.

Danny's NSX is simply the Honda NSX at its highest degree of performance development for the street. I can only imagine what his continued obsessive behavior with his NSX will bear in the years to come. Can you say Enzo eater?

I can’t wait to see next month’s issue when they finally reveal the victor. I have a feeling Danny’s NSX did extremely well. Maybe a podium finish? C’mon Danny, give us a hint won’t cha? :biggrin:

Congrats my friend for being invited and competing in what I consider the ultimate import performance competition in the U.S.

In case you guys have not seen Danny’s NSX on this forum, take a look at the member’s gallery. His NSX is simply awe inspiring :eek:

Behold NSX perfection:
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=7098

Last edited:
Re: NSX Prime member in Sport Compact Car’s “Ultimate Street Car Challenge”

Yup, picked it up 2 weeks ago. I'm a big fan of the USCC and have been following it for years. Most of the Skylines competing in it in the past were built by friends of mine. Past USCC seemed to have favoured the awd cars, but lets hope he fares well against them. Actually, danny...just tell us how it all played out! Give us Primers an exclusive!!!

I finally get to meet Danny at HIN Vegas. I admired his accomplishment. Wait till you see what he's got in the bag, you guys will be even more impressed. Watch out, VW Veyron!!!

By the way, I drove off with all his HIN trophies, and his daughter...lol:biggrin:

The best part of thumbing through the magazine is that I'm positive that the NSX in the background on pg 104 is my NSX. The red/ivory one with the messed up front emblem was at that spot for ~4+ months at Autowave (still waiting to get it back from the body shop for a paint job) getting work done on it. I hope you finished first and that pic and story made my day.

Vancehu said:
By the way, I drove off with all his HIN trophies, and his daughter...lol:biggrin:

Heck with the Hot Import Nights trophies, you just broke the hearts of thousands of guys in Vegas by driving off with his daughter. Not a lot of beautiful girls out there that are truly obsessed with sports cars like us guys, especially ones that drive e46 M3s. She's a catch. :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Not sure where to start, so I'll start by thanking Autowave. Shane, Mark, Mike and Ron deserve all the credit for helping me put this car together. Everyone that participated signed a non-disclosure agreement, so I'm not at liberty to talk about the results (the December issue with the results should arrive in the mail by the 16th).

For those who don't know much about the USCC, it is the largest competition held by any magazine in the states (I thought Car & Driver's One Lap was). It was held at K&N for day 1, then at LACR and Willow Springs for day 2. There is a total of 15 categories, and usually, the most balanced/ developed car wins (Dyno queens and drag monsters seem to fail miserably due to being one dimensional or BLOWING UP). This was the sixth year, and it has morphed into THE EVENT that notable tuner shops come to compete for ultimate bragging rights. Notable cars that have won include a fully prepped Viper ACR (2002) and a Skyline R34 (2005-also won Touge2 that year) . Platforms that have been entered, but never won, include Supras(800+ rwhp examples), RX7s, STIs, Evos, DSMs, and unfortunately, any Hondas, including the NSX. Not to sound harsh but the full Comptech supercharged NSX came in 8th last year. I believe another Prime member with a turbo NSX was selected in 2001, but did not make it to the competition. Every year, the editors expect at least one car to fail (BLOW), during or right before the competition. In years past, the readers voted in the contestants, but with too many contestants cancelling at the last minute (mechanical failure or plain chickened out), the editors now do the inviting. AWD cars seem to have the edge lately:frown:

All the cars were impressive and although the majority were from tuner shops, the three privateer entries were impressive as well.

Sandy- time to enter your gt2 next year:wink:
Vance- Careful about the daughter, she may drive off with your car next time:biggrin:
Gaymond-That was your motor in the pic!:eek:

Last edited:
Yeah the car is insane. It was nice to check it out up close and get to meet Danny and his wife at the last Vegas meet. I don't know what it is, but we seem to love our turbos here in Vegas... :tongue:

my1stnsx said:
Congrats Danny, I hope the end results will have your name in First place!!!

Thanks for the compliments guys. We did our best to represent the NSX.....man do we have a lot of stories to tell. The competition was intense but there was a lot of respect amongst all the competitors. The NSX showed well and we got a lot of props from the other entries.
Jason, you need to FEEL this car, maybe even DRIVE it:wink: . It should be back down at Autowave in a few weeks.

Regards,

Danny

lowellhigh79 said:
Vance- Careful about the daughter, she may drive off with your car next time:biggrin:

If that happens, I'll just have to chase her down with your 1000hp NSX...lol:biggrin:

Hey Danny,

I am looking for the spare $50k to further modify the GT2, so it can be competitive with your NSX in a future competition. However, I have a feeling it will be an exercise in futility. But for kicks, lets do the next PCA event.

CerberusM5 said:
Hey Danny,

I am looking for the spare $50k to further modify the GT2, so it can be competitive with your NSX in a future competition. However, I have a feeling it will be an exercise in futility. But for kicks, lets do the next PCA event.
GT900 baby!!!!!!!!!! Time to jack up the boost, dry sump, and lose another 100 pounds.

lowellhigh79 said:
GT900 baby!!!!!!!!!! Time to jack up the boost, dry sump, and lose another 100 pounds.

Those dual hybrid GT35s are calling my name. I believe my car is already dry sump from the factory.

Are you saying i'm fat? :mad:

Last edited:
CerberusM5 said:
Those dual hybrid GT35s are calling my name. I believe my car is already dry sump from the factory.

Are you saying i'm fat? :mad:

Actually, I was talking about my car....fatso!

Vancehu said:
If that happens, I'll just have to chase her down with your 1000hp NSX...lol:biggrin:

But she's got my keys too!!:mad:

Seriously though, the next NSX I get, I want it be as close to yours as possible. Sweet ride BROTHA! (or I will go with the F40...:eek:)

Danny

Get the F40 my buddy got his for 495k so the price is stable now. Only thing is the seats are really tight.....you need to be like 140 to sit in there comfortably. :tongue:

ediddynsx said:
Get the F40 my buddy got his for 495k so the price is stable now. Only thing is the seats are really tight.....you need to be like 140 to sit in there comfortably. :tongue:
I finally found my motivation to go on a SERIOUS diet:biggrin:
Time to sell some land?:confused:

lowellhigh79 said:
I finally found my motivation to go on a SERIOUS diet:biggrin:
Time to sell some land?:confused:

Serious though its pretty tight to get in there.......the ledge is high like a race car so you have to put one leg in at a time......trust me those seats you will probably want to change out, also the guages are pretty small so I guess its good to not know how fast you are going :eek: ........its made for skinny european guys. :cool:

It's not a car your wife will like.......my friends wife hates that car......shes likes riding in the Testarossa, NSX, Porsches, Mercedes, Bentley, and other cars they have better. I don't blame her though thats not car for daily driving and it does take getting use to riding in it. Also if you have tall people they will not fit in there good either. Its an awesome car just not something you can get around very comfortably unless you change the seats out......that still doesnt help the high ledge that it has to climb in and out.

You can always tell your kids Daddy needs an F40 so your gonna have to pay for your own college funds now ;) lol j/k now pass me that good stuff you were talking about :eek: :tongue: I will need it when they cut into my gums and take out that last stupid tooth........I hate Dentists!!!! Hopefully the last one won't grow anymore and won't bother me :frown: I hope we get to see your car in action on video sometime.....I would love to see it in action again in person some other time.

Heres the two pics I have of Ed's car its pretty much stock except for a tubi exhaust....I had some interior and engine shots but I can't find them sorry. I'll try to meet up with him again and take some more shots.

Last edited:
ediddynsx said:
Serious though its pretty tight to get in there.......the ledge is high like a race car so you have to put one leg in at a time......trust me those seats you will probably want to change out, also the guages are pretty small so I guess its good to not know how fast you are going :eek: ........its made for skinny european guys. :cool:

It's not a car your wife will like.......my friends wife hates that car......shes likes riding in the Testarossa, NSX, Porsches, Mercedes, Bentley, and other cars they have better. I don't blame her though thats not car for daily driving and it does take getting use to riding in it. Also if you have tall people they will not fit in there good either. Its an awesome car just not something you can get around very comfortably unless you change the seats out......that still doesnt help the high ledge that it has to climb in and out.

You can always tell your kids Daddy needs an F40 so your gonna have to pay for your own college funds now ;) lol j/k now pass me that good stuff you were talking about :eek: :tongue: I will need it when they cut into my gums and take out that last stupid tooth........I hate Dentists!!!! Hopefully the last one won't grow anymore and won't bother me :frown: I hope we get to see your car in action on video sometime.....I would love to see it in action again in person some other time.

Heres the two pics I have of Ed's car its pretty much stock except for a tubi exhaust....I had some interior and engine shots but I can't find them sorry. I'll try to meet up with him again and take some more shots.

The F40 has always been my automotive object of lust. I wouldn't drive it regularly, just build a garage around it, then stare at it every now and then. Funny, the NSX is THE automotive equivalent of the perfect wife/ SO. Comfortable looks that STAY good looking anytime and years later. Not a head case, no attitude and she won't clean out your wallet. Low maintenance and quite versatile withing her smallish frame. Can dress up but looks great in my T shirt. The F40? super-model, not easy to live with, someone you would kick out after a little while EXCEPT she's too damn SEXY!!!!! Always a test on my restraint when I start to think about the F40.:tongue: Luckily polygamy is allowed in automotive heaven.

Regards,

Danny

lowellhigh79 said:
For those who don't know much about the USCC, it is the largest competition held by any magazine in the states (I thought Car & Driver's One Lap was). It was held at K&N for day 1, then at LACR and Willow Springs for day 2. There is a total of 15 categories, and usually, the most balanced/ developed car wins (Dyno queens and drag monsters seem to fail miserably due to being one dimensional or BLOWING UP). This was the sixth year, and it has morphed into THE EVENT that notable tuner shops come to compete for ultimate bragging rights. Notable cars that have won include a fully prepped Viper ACR (2002) and a Skyline R34 (2005-also won Touge2 that year) . Platforms that have been entered, but never won, include Supras(800+ rwhp examples), RX7s, STIs, Evos, DSMs, and unfortunately, any Hondas, including the NSX. Not to sound harsh but the full Comptech supercharged NSX came in 8th last year. I believe another Prime member with a turbo NSX was selected in 2001, but did not make it to the competition. Every year, the editors expect at least one car to fail (BLOW), during or right before the competition. In years past, the readers voted in the contestants, but with too many contestants cancelling at the last minute (mechanical failure or plain chickened out), the editors now do the inviting. AWD cars seem to have the edge lately:frown:

Danny,

I hope you won this year's USCC competition, because if you couldn't make the NSX platform competitive, there is no chance in hell the rest of the less developed NSXs out there have a chance in prevailing in the future, since the competition is constantly improving.

Believe it or not, but you are Honda's "Last Great Hope" or maybe its "Only Hope"

Good luck!!

CerberusM5 said:
Danny,

I hope you won this year's USCC competition, because if you couldn't make the NSX platform competitive, there is no chance in hell the rest of the less developed NSXs out there have a chance in prevailing in the future, since the competition is constantly improving.

Believe it or not, but you are Honda's "Last Great Hope" or maybe its "Only Hope"

Good luck!!

Thanks for the props, but I'm still not telling. The biggest hurdle for the NSX is the MSRP portion of the USCC. Kip and I each got a big fat zero. Most of the cars I view as competetive-STI, EVO, Skylines, Supras, and LS7 RX7s, all list in the low to mid 30s. Depending on what other entries come in on the low end, these 30K cars can get a 60-100 point jump on the NSX from the get go. This deficit is much much more than the usual margin of victory in past years. This year's HPA Beetle is a classic example of a purpose built entry. Get the lowest MSRP Beetle (13k), gut out the interior, weld up a full cage, CUT OFF the entire floorpan, weld up what is essentially an AWD Audi S-4 platform with 15 inch brakes, drop in a TT 3.2L V6, then change out the original body panels for a European Touring car series wide body Beetle. The only original part of that Beetle that is left is the sticker! It also ran 285/30-18s all around! No complaints here though, as this is "The Ultimate Street Car Challenge" and if anyone deserved it, those guys at HPA were pure HARDCORE. The three cars VW is displaying in SEMA this year were built by HPA. AWD is another sore point. Finally, most of the entries are hardcore tuner shops that go racing all the time. Two of last year's USCC entries, an MR2 and Kip's Comptech NSX lapped two seconds faster than the FX500 in the Touge 2 event yet neither one came in the top five overall at USCC (8th and 10th) or even in the top four for the roadcourse portion. So yes, it is a daunting task to place even on the podium for USCC. It would be nice to see a Honda finally take it though.:rolleyes:

Regards,

Danny

Last edited:
nsxsupra said:
Danny,
I would love to feel it as long as I am in the passenger seat with you or Mark/Shane behind the wheel:biggrin: . That would be more than enough to make me scream:eek: .

Quoting Ben Stiller from Starsky & Hutch: Come on DooIt, Dooit, you can dooit, dooit, just dooit, dooit:biggrin:

Back