• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Chassis/Sway Bars - Highly Recommended

Hi All-

I own a 2003 NSX-T and live in Massachusetts. Our roads here are terrible, and one of the things that I always read about the NSX was how solidly built it felt. This was not my experience. I had a significant amount of cowl shake with the Targa off and when it was on I still felt some cowl shake and there were some aggrivating squeaks from the Targa.

I recently had the NSX-R front Chassis and Sway bars installed and it made a huge difference in the driving experience. In my opinion, the car should have come from the factory this way. I perceive no downside thus far and the car feels so much improved with the top off and a still noticeable improvement with the top on. The cowl shake has been eliminated and I have not heard any squeaks either.

For those that live in states where the roads are less than stellar, this upgrade is a MUST in my opinion. One final note, I know SOS is having trouble sourcing these parts as production is winding down, so if you're at all debating about it, you should order some now as they may be very difficult to get in the future. Good luck.

Last edited:
Ive been thinking about these as well.

What did you pay for parts and install?

Do they have to remove the front bumper for install?

Thanks!

1 - epp-561 Honda JDM NSX-R FRONT LOWER Chassis Reinforcement Bar $89.20
1 - epp-562 Honda JDM NSX-R FRONT Chassis Reinforcement Bar & Bracket Set $159.00
1 - spp-222 Honda NA2 NSX-R front stabilizer & bushing set $163.61

I think the labor to install was in the area of $300 (which I thought was pricey, but it was my fault to not get a quote ahead of time). I can double check when I get home. I don't know for sure whether or not they had to remove the bumper, but I am pretty sure they did not. I'm sure someone else on the forums will be able to confirm for sure.

I recommend you go with the Dali adjustable track bars (not the street/track). The improvement over the other aftermarket bars, including Type R bars would be well worth it especially for a T with Typr R brace. This will have little (if any) additional downside impact on street driving but quite a difference when you load the car on turns.

I agree with the OP. I have the NSX Type-R front sway and front chassis bars. Very good mod. No down sides at all.

I agree with the OP. I have the NSX Type-R front sway and front chassis bars. Very good mod. No down sides at all.

Yes for a coupe. But A T needs yet stiffer sway bars if you are really into handling (track or not) ........ been there done that, used Comptech's adjustable on stiffest holes with the Type R brace, then added Comptech's pro suspension, and finally the Dali track bars and the improvement in body roll was noticeable with the Dali track bars ...... :wink:

YMMV

I have the Chassis bars, but not the sway bars. Did you get the Type R bars front and back? Who did the install for you or did you do it yourself? Any help would be appreciated.

Ive been thinking about these as well.

What did you pay for parts and install?

Do they have to remove the front bumper for install?

Thanks!

ELITE installed mine for me.
He did it without taking the front bumper off.

I'm glad to hear this ended up being a positive experience for you.

By the way, considering the front bar takes about 3 hours, the lower bar 15 min, and the sway bar 15-30 min. 3.5 * $85 = $297.50, in line with what we would charge. So, I wouldn't feel bad about what you were charged - it sounds very fair.

Thank you again for your business.

cheers,
-- Chris

Last edited:
I am still waiting to get my chasis bars and type r sway bar installed. The process seems easy enough, but you will need space to work. I tried the install in my garage, but I didn't have enough space to work.

I recommend you go with the Dali adjustable track bars (not the street/track). The improvement over the other aftermarket bars, including Type R bars would be well worth it especially for a T with Typr R brace. This will have little (if any) additional downside impact on street driving but quite a difference when you load the car on turns.

+1 I've ran the Type R swaybar in the past but currently running a complete set of Dali Street/track swaybars. For me, the dali out performed the type R and somehow had a softer ride surprisingly, even though they're stiffer.

I ran the type R sway bar in conjuction with Tein RE coilovers and even though the steering feel was superb, it would understeer horribly together. The Dali sways fixed that problem immediately through the use of it's selectable settings. It was great even when I swapped over to oem springs/bilsteins.

I have one of the upper bars(UNUSED) from the NSX-R available. it would not fit on my car since I recently had an intercooler and heat exchanger installed in the area in which the upper bar mounts.

anyone can PM me if you want my upper NSX-R chassis brace at a reasonable price.

The Type-R front sway is identical to the OEM front sway. Only the Zanardi/Type-S has a thicker front sway (and also retains the OEM rear sway--exactly the opposite of the Type-R)

I believe you mean the type R REAR sway bar is identical to our US spec REAR bar. And only the Zanardi/Type-S has a thicker REAR sway bar. Unless I'm missing something.....
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/suspension/more_sway_race1.cfm?focus=1408-
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1824
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1976

Last edited:
I might have to pick up a set, in stock Chris? :biggrin:

That's the thing I'm trying to point out... these are a great mod, but the supply from Honda is going away and is getting very hard to get so you should order now if you are thinking about it. Chris can probably elaborate more on exactly what is happening to the supply.

I'm also running the NSX-R front sway and the 2 x chassis bars. I only see benefits for this upgrade.

Install was DIY with the car up on stands in my garage. Took almost as long to raise and lower the car as it did to install the bars using the rad relaese method

A must have Targa upgrade. All other suspension is OEM.

regards, Paul

I installed the NSX-R chassis and sway bars myself. If you get the car up on a lift, everything can be installed from underneath without having to remove the front bumper.

Others have installed the front chassis bar by simply removing the radiator bolts and leaning the radiator back just far enough to slide in the bar and tighten down the chassis bolts. This may make for an easier install for this particular item.

This is also my concern, I have the TEIN flex going in soon, so I don't want to have any major understeering issues. What settings do you have/recommend for the street?

+1 I've ran the Type R swaybar in the past but currently running a complete set of Dali Street/track swaybars. For me, the dali out performed the type R and somehow had a softer ride surprisingly, even though they're stiffer.

I ran the type R sway bar in conjuction with Tein RE coilovers and even though the steering feel was superb, it would understeer horribly together. The Dali sways fixed that problem immediately through the use of it's selectable settings. It was great even when I swapped over to oem springs/bilsteins.

I installed RM Racing sway bars front and rear and noticed little if any difference.

I guess I need to get on the ball with this chassis bar!

I installed RM Racing sway bars front and rear and noticed little if any difference.

I guess I need to get on the ball with this chassis bar!

As I said, try the Dali track bars and you will be quite surprised. And the Dali track bars should not have the issue of the sway bar hitting the Type R lower chassis brace - or if they do, it will be much less of an issue for the T which had the most problems.

Last edited:
Back