• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Engine Cover Prop Bar Hole Size

Ok, thinking back.

I believe i have a few of the targa ones already made and they would just need the 38 degree bend to match. They would already be anodized.

The white rod ends of which i have made about 100 in various resins i still have a few already made from resin's that didn't work out. Resin 1 type gets a little soft with the heat from the engine and the other resin 2 is not real strong so can be broken if treated rough. Wondering if a couple layers of epoxy resin would make those work better. The resin 2 is on my hood prop now and has worked fine for years.

Mike

Ok, thinking back.

I believe i have a few of the targa ones already made and they would just need the 38 degree bend to match. They would already be anodized.

The white rod ends of which i have made about 100 in various resins i still have a few already made from resin's that didn't work out. Resin 1 type gets a little soft with the heat from the engine and the other resin 2 is not real strong so can be broken if treated rough. Wondering if a couple layers of epoxy resin would make those work better. The resin 2 is on my hood prop now and has worked fine for years.

Mike

Mike, why don't you do a mock up of the NSX-R one with the bits you have, be great to see how it all looks.

Note that there are no holes to mount it, so they must be drilled.
I don't see where to install the white plastic clip to secure the rod, would be good to know too. Nuno

Basically where the prop bar is in YOUR photo is correct;

Nuno, Ive done a bit of research on this a while back and from what I could find, there are 2 answers.

On NA1 NSX-R, the big silver resistor behind the prop bar as pictured here

Is slightly different, in that there is either a little raised out bump, that has a hole in it, or just an additional hole in the resistor bracket, this hole is where the the white clip goes.

On NA2 NSX-R, the silver resistor does not exist, so what there is instead, is a special little bracket, again Im sure this bracket has a either a little raised bump with a hole in it, or additional hole drilled in it for the white clip.

Either way, you could just put an additional hole in the bracket already on our cars.

Last edited:
I guess if we got the size, shape/bends etc of the NSX-R one, then were able to get a shop to produce these at a good price, that would be a good way to go.

After that its working out the mounting kit.

Guess these will just be for us. With the new vendor fee we won't be able to get them made for anyone else. I know i won't be able to offer parts anymore.

Mike

Hi,

well... this will show you that in the OEM NSX-R prop rod the plastic tip is upside down. So a replica should address this and rotate it 180º

In the front hood, the slot is up:

In the engine bay, in the stored position, you can see that it's up:

When holding the cover, you can see the slot is down:

This slot holds the hood/cover in place by getting the hood/cover thickness in that slot, so that a little hit doesn't bring the whole thing down on your head.

I hope i successfully showed you guys what i meant.

Nuno

Hi Nuno,
I know what you mean, I call that a wind catch. Without it wind could blow it away from the prop rod to where the rod falls and the hood/cover slams down.

But i think it is supposed to be down where the weight of the prop rod holds it in the catch all the time. Mine are so light i have to actually push them down in the catch. Both my oem hood and engine cover rods are down as well as the other cars i have seen.

Mike

Sudesh,
I forgot to mention that i have the grip material and lots of new OEM mounting grommets so we won't to need to buy those either :wink:

Mike

Hi,

But i think it is supposed to be down where the weight of the prop rod holds it in the catch all the time.

the weight of the hood/engine cover pushing down on the rod, make it go up on the hole, ence the slot on the up position.... that's why the hood OEM one have it up...

Nuno

Guess these will just be for us. With the new vendor fee we won't be able to get them made for anyone else. I know i won't be able to offer parts anymore.

Mike

Oh right! Don't really follow the vendor fee thing? I'm just going to assume that it's got more expensive or something?

Sudesh,
I forgot to mention that i have the grip material and lots of new OEM mounting grommets so we won't to need to buy those either :wink:

Mike

That's great Mike! Now when I look at the NSX-R prop bar and hardware kit, I can see there really isn't anything too complicated about it and with the right sources it should be easy to put together.

When your back, it would be good to see how one of yours turns out.

Also finding the correct position on the body of the car to put the additional holes for the mounting kit should be relatively easy. I'm just working on that at the moment.

Last edited:
Oh right! Don't really follow the vendor fee thing? I'm just going to assume that it's got more expensive or something?

Yes it went fron $0 to $500 and people like me that do it to help out others pays the same as a commercial vendor like SOS. Now i need to find a new use for this expensive machine i just bought.

Yeah can't wait to get home and make it. Your incharge of the where to mount :).

Would you like to have a aluminum one or do you want steel?

Mike

Last edited:
Here is mine :biggrin:

Clear Anodized Aluminum NSX-R engine cover prop

weight is a whopping 1.55oz

R-Prop-Rod.gif

Last edited:
That looks fantastic!

So where is mine lol

I got a handful of the other bits in, arrived quicker than expected.

PM me your address and i'll send you this one. I have to modify my cover before i can install so it will be a while for me.

Mike

Back