• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Suspension Question - Can it be modified?

Im putting 235/275 17/17 saturday hopefully ill see what it does

From what I see in your pictures the rake that you have looks correct.

It is how the suspension and car were designed and it is not a indication of a problem.

The engineers who designed and developed the NSX and the NSX-R suspension didn't end up with this rake or ride height by accident. It wasn't to suit their aesthetic sense either either.

If Mr.Uehara attends a NSXCA or other event again, and you're there, ask him why the car is this way, with this "rake". The answer would be both technically educational and interesting I'm sure.:wink: In retrospect it may even seem obvious once he explains why.

If you want the car without this rake it would be easiest to accomplish this with adjustable coil-overs as previously stated.

I think it fascinating so many people don't like the stock stance and ride height of this car.
For the record, my car is lowered just a bit too but only about 1/2 to 3/4 of a inch but I did keep the rake. It's my personal preference but to each his own.

On customer's NSX's when I install adjustable coilovers and do the alignment I keep a F/R rake as well. No one has ever asked for different but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

Thanks guys. I understand why the car is set up as such- its mid engined so you need a lot of control at the front while letting the rear rotate more predictably. My car is set up for the type r balance taken a step further- with the front clamps and track front swaybar and stock rear swaybar to go with the softer rear spring rate and longer suspension travel. I just wish the rear was a bit lower for aesthetics. I was just considering the comptech pro coilovers bc they have a similar setup but then I started reading about the spring popping out of alignment in the front and the necessity for adding a helper spring. Coilovers always seem to be more of a headache so I may just stick with my setup. The best thing about oem stuff is it always works perfectly and lasts forever- the quality is known even though the price is high. Plus when the same engineers who designed the car design a hardcore suspension, it's bound to be one of the best.

Last edited:
An interesting anecdote from my research was an engineer from JRZ came into one of the BC discussions over on NASIOC and commented favorably on the design. He said that while they serve two different market spaces, the fundamental BC design was very good and he was impressed. He did comment that the shock valving would not be as refined as JRZ or other motorsports-level dampers, which would be a limiting factor for ultimate performance. The real world data bears that out, as the Type BR system is about 2 to 3 seconds slower per lap than a full-up triple adjustable race suspension.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Your car looks super clean and does have the nice oem rake.

Imo the NSX-R suspension/ride height looks best with oem or oem style wheels, the 7 spoke 16/17, zinardi wheels, 02+ or even 02+ R wheels.

Once you go to 17/18 or 18/19 coilovers achieve the best ride height.

Do you have a link to that thread?

Sorry Jim it is lost to the ages. I went back to check my research links document (yes, I kept a log of references to do my review lol) and it wasn't in there. Mostly because it was only a couple of posts in a massive thread from 3 or 4 years ago. I just remember thinking "hey, even the guys at JRZ like them" after I read it. However, my impression was that he was being complementary while still noting his JRZ dampers were on another level... which they are. The gist of his posts was that the BC was the best choice for its market segment, as it shared many of the fundamental design concepts of the JRZ (big piston, thick shaft, quality shock oil, etc...), but it does not have the damping fidelity or valve quality of higher-end motorsports shocks. I hope you can make it to XPO, as I'd really like your impressions of my kit on the track. I think you'll be surprised.

What do you guys think of the comptech pro suspension, knowing I like the type R? I don't mind the harsh ride at all even for street use. Has anyone had it and had problems with springs hitting the shocks like other reviews? Someone had to install a helper spring to fix the problem but I would really expect more from comptech. If anyone has it or knows more about its design please chime in.

Excellent suspension. It was on my list as well. Better performance than NSX-R- a true elite level track suspension. Ride comfort seems to depend on the driver. Some said it was surprisingly soft while others claimed it knocked the fillings out of your teeth. I also saw issues with noisy top mounts, which isn't an issue in motorsports but could be a concern for a street car. I bought BCR because my car is 80% street 20% track. If it were the other way around, I would probably have a nice, used CT Pro. :)

Excellent suspension. It was on my list as well. Better performance than NSX-R- a true elite level track suspension. Ride comfort seems to depend on the driver. Some said it was surprisingly soft while others claimed it knocked the fillings out of your teeth. I also saw issues with noisy top mounts, which isn't an issue in motorsports but could be a concern for a street car. I bought BCR because my car is 80% street 20% track. If it were the other way around, I would probably have a nice, used CT Pro. :)

I had the Comptech pro. I would NOT recommend it for two reasons. As stated above there was noise from the top mount because it used spherical bearings and two, more importantly in order to change compression you have to remove the dampers from the car as you have to push a button and turn the shaft of the damper. Doing this at the track on the concrete is not exactly fun just to make a simple adjustment to the compression setting.

Last edited:
Wow that really makes things difficult. I can live with not being able to adjust it on the fly at the track for now but I cannot stand the noise issue- especially if it's due to the design of the system. Captain, is the noise issue able to be resolved with a helper spring as others have done or is there another solution? Why did you change yours?

Wow that really makes things difficult. I can live with not being able to adjust it on the fly at the track for now but I cannot stand the noise issue- especially if it's due to the design of the system. Captain, is the noise issue able to be resolved with a helper spring as others have done or is there another solution? Why did you change yours?

Captain went all baller on us and got JRZ RS dampers. :D

No you can't eliminate the noise. The top of the damper is a ring and that bolts into a u bracket unlike oem or a mono ball which the shaft goes through the fender and then has a double nut.

But as I said the real downfall is comp setting. Performance was great.

FYI there's a ct pro in the marketplace at a low price of $1800. Seems like a deal.

That's why I am asking. I would jump on it but suspension making noises is rather unacceptable in my book... Plus if I bought a new one it would come with a lifetime warranty. Really wish the noise was not an issue :(

In case anyone was curious 17/17 235/275 on NA2-R

0568C312-4E07-4E3A-9EBB-A945B21F3A9B-11861-000009CDA255BBF8.jpg

What do you guys think of the KW clubsport coilovers with stiffer spring rates at the front? Has anyone here had experience with them and how easy are they to adjust at the track, do they make any noises like the competition KW suspension that Turbo2go has, and how good is the valving when compared with the Type R? Seems like KW's philosophy is to provide slower reactions so the tire stays in contact with the road and softer springs so they ride better. They include pillowball top hats so I don't think they would make noise like the Comptech Pro.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133539

Last edited:
Why not v3? I thought turbo2go had clubsport maybe im rembering wrong

Bc the v3 is pretty much meant for street, I want something more track oriented if I am going to swap out my type r. I think you can't swap stiffer springs in on the v3 due to its valving iirc. All the money is in the valving on coilovers is what I am finding out.

Last edited:
i see nothing wrong with the way it is dropped... if you have your spare on the car, try taking it out... the front should lift up a bit and make it look more balanced. you could always mess with tire sizes to get the right look...

Tire sizing is not really a viable option, I am already so limited by the 10.5" rear and finding a matching front. I also don't want to run a 225 or 235 width bc I just replaced my fender liners with 02 liners and these wheels really fit perfectly. Already removed the spare due to BBK as mentioned above... Anyways I am exploring different avenues, eventually I will need to replace the suspension regardless since nothing lasts forever.

Back