• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX to be renamed

Oh well. I hope that's not true, but if it is, I hope Honda does better marketing the car and give it a name worthy of the successor to a legend. Oops not a Legend. That would be a great name actually, but it's not cool enough for Honda anymore. You know what I mean. Acura just said they want to appeal more to male buyers, and that they want to improve their image. Ditching the name of their flagships and changing their vehicle lineup names has left no name recognition. Maybe their vanilla-bland-a$$-milk-toast marketing team will come up with a real flashy catchy name that will really push the envelope. Yeah something like..... Accord GT!! That's it!!! Or, UNCIVIC!! Maybe because it's a sequel, or a follow up, they could call it the Acura Postlude. It follows the theme from Prelude, and the management at Honda is on queludes, so it might work. I hope it's something special. It better be. They could really be like Ferrari and name it after the company's founder. The Acura Sochiro (sp?). Oh well, we can still have fun at the Vigor GT XPO. See you there. I'll be driving an NSX, but no one will remember what that is or who makes it!! Take care!!:smile:

Doc C said:
.........Yeah something like..... Accord GT!! That's it!!! Or, UNCIVIC!! Maybe because it's a sequel, or a follow up, they could call it the Acura Postlude. It follows the theme from Prelude, and the management at Honda is on queludes, so it might work. I hope it's something special. It better be. They could really be like Ferrari and name it after the company's founder. The Acura Sochiro (sp?). Oh well, we can still have fun at the Vigor GT XPO. See you there. I'll be driving an NSX, but no one will remember what that is or who makes it!! Take care!!:smile:

your farking hilarious - are u available for parties?

NOT!

In a conversation we had several years ago my Dad and I both agreed that we hoped the next generation of sportscar from Acura would not be called "NSX".

I am happy to hear the news that Honda agrees.

The NSX was built for 15 years- it is a unique, and great car. I think it should be allowed to stand alone and not be dilluted, or devalued by sharing moniker with the new vehicle.

In 1991 it was the New Sports eXperimental

What would the new car be? The Next Sports eXperimental?

I actually like the idea of giving the car a unique name like Soichiro- but it is pretty Ferrari-esque to name the car after the founder.

Speaking of which- Does Ferrari ever recycle a model number?

Last edited:
Isn't it Ferrari-esque to go with a alpha-numeric type name?? Back in 1990 Acura was a leader. They had GREAT brand recognition. They've even said themselves that their image and Honda's image are too overlapped. Lexus has mastered marketing SO much better than Acura. And, while I think Lexus builds great cars, I don't think Acuras give up anything in quality or craftsmenship to them. Acura had the Legend, then the 3.2 RL, now the RL. Lexus has had the LS all the way through. Integra, then RSX, and the four door of the RSX in the model line is called the TSX?!!? They have no consistency and therefore have lost brand appeal. The NSX continuing would be one thing that would at least keep what little is left in recognition. So, sure you can copy Ferrari with the alphanumeric name path, or you can be a leader and stick to your guns. It's a sad day when Honda starts conceding to other brands and following their lead. The Legend and Integra were homeruns. The NSX stunned the world and kicked Ferrari in the sprouts. I just don't want to see the next NSX have a watered down copycat name. Hopefully, it will be a car that will deserve better.

NUK3M- Yes, also available for funerals and weddings!!!!:smile: Thanks for the original commentary.

Doc C said:
They have no consistency and therefore have lost brand appeal. The NSX continuing would be one thing that would at least keep what little is left in recognition. So, sure you can copy Ferrari with the alphanumeric name path, or you can be a leader and stick to your guns. It's a sad day when Honda starts conceding to other brands and following their lead. The Legend and Integra were homeruns. The NSX stunned the world and kicked Ferrari in the sprouts. I just don't want to see the next NSX have a watered down copycat name. Hopefully, it will be a car that will deserve better.

We disagree.

When someone says "I have an NSX" I know EXACTLY what they have.

When someone says "I have a Corvette" I don't have any idea WTF they have.

A gorgeous 63 Split window coupe? A watered down crossfire injected 82 C3? a 500+hp 06 Z06? an 89 4+3 speed L98 C4?
What do you have? The name Corvette is diluted to include many very different cars, some great, some "not so great" (I love Corvettes, so bear with me on this)

I like that the NSX stands for what it stands for- I like the fact that this particular car is going to be allowed to stand alone as what it is, and not have to share it's designation with dozens of models into the future.

I think the value of the vehicle as a whole will be better preserved with it's name remaining individual to this particular car.

Of course- this is just my opinion- and we disagree.

Fortunately for me in this case- I do agree with Honda.

H-carWizKid said:
We disagree.

When someone says "I have an NSX" I know EXACTLY what they have.

When someone says "I have a Corvette" I don't have any idea WTF they have.

A gorgeous 63 Split window coupe? A watered down crossfire injected 82 C3? a 500+hp 06 Z06? an 89 4+3 speed L98 C4?
What do you have? The name Corvette is diluted to include many very different cars, some great, some "not so great" (I love Corvettes, so bear with me on this)

I like that the NSX stands for what it stands for- I like the fact that this particular car is going to be allowed to stand alone as what it is, and not have to share it's designation with dozens of models into the future.

I think the value of the vehicle as a whole will be better preserved with it's name remaining individual to this particular car.

Of course- this is just my opinion- and we disagree.

Fortunately for me in this case- I do agree with Honda.

So, does that apply to the 911?? Would you get confused if someone said, "I have a Porsche 911." It could be air-cooled or water cooled, or turbo, or cabriolet,targa,4,4s,gt3, etc. If you would be that confused about a Corvette or 911 then I agree that you might need some simplification of the names of the future NSX. I mean, if you want to use that as a criteria, then if I tell you I have an NSX, do I have, a coupe, targa, zanardi, NSX-R, 3.2, 3.0. The fact is that the Corvette and 911 have instant name recognition. Chevrolet and Porsche would NEVER change those designations. Of course people won't know if it's an L98 or even C3, but they will know it's USA's premier sports car. Ferrari uses various numeric and alphanumeric names on their cars. The difference is that the marque of Ferrari holds the weight in the name of the car. I mean, to the average person a Ferrari owner would never say, "I have a 308". People would go, "huh??" It's always, "I have a FERRARI 308" etc. Acura doesn't have the brand name like Ferrari. Hell, even Lexus is used more and more as, "This is the 'Lexus' of televisions". Lexus has worked hard to get that distinction. Acura was on its way to this. They were the first Japanese luxury marque and the Legend won all awards. The press and public were crazy for that. Names like Camry and Accord will never be changed. Hell, the GT-R has never been in the US and when it comes here it's gonna be the GT-R. Everybody playing PS2 and X-Box all these years knows what a GT-R is. Why would Nissan (Infiniti) start over with a new name?? The NSX provided better than Ferrari performance with Accord reliability and driveability for less money. With Lexus considering the LF-A V-10, I think Acura would do well to cash in on the NSX name rather than start all over with a car that no one knows what it is, and get into a marketing battle with Lexus. Lastly, how is it fortunate for you that you agree with Honda?? Do you win something for that?? More importantly, is this a credible article?? When it's an official Honda press release, then I'll understand it, but I thought carsguide had been wrong on several of its articles. Could be another magazine I'm thinking of. Take care.

Good points- I guess now we wait and see.

I always thought the Porsche 911 was a pretty mundane car- you see dozens around. I know they perform really well, but there are just so many out there... I don't know if I would want the NSX to be so associated- again, just personal preference.

As for being unable to define the differences- that is part of the enthusiasm right? You say "I have an NSX" and I say "really? What year?" And then we have a discussion of all the wonderful things about the car just like a big crowd of us had in the pool @ NSXPO

the same thing happens with Corvettes- but I was thinking more about the Marqee value- as a whole. as I said before we disagree, and I really don't have a problem with that.

BTW- The "GTR" you referred to used to be the "Skyline GTR" They ARE dropping the name in favor of the alphabet.

one last answer- How is it fortunate that I agree with Honda? Well, for one I won't be pissed when the new car isn't called "NSX" so I guess I do win a little something...

The news that the name would change isn't really news- that has been rumor mill since the intro of the HSC- again, I think you are correct- this magazine may or may not be accurate- only Honda knows for sure, and they DO love to keep secrets.

I just don't think the moniker would stick- the New Sports eXperiment took place in 1991

This is a whole new century.

once again-Only my personal feeling.

Last edited:
I agree that the NSX should be renamed. I have a hard time believing the NSX replacement will achieve the same status and accolades back when it was released new in the early 90s. It was truly a car of many firsts.

There are still rumors that the car might be massed produced and would be much more affordable than the previous NSX. The way Japanese sports cars are nowadays it might not be too far from the truth. I know just as many people that buy the NSX for prestige reasons rather than all out performance. I know that some would not be happy if the the new NSX can be had for a lot cheaper than the old one, it would certainly devalue the NSX name in that aspect.

RyRy210- Okay, yes I agree that if it is cheaper, with less performance and mass produced, then it should not be called NSX. Very good point.

H-carWizKid - Good points. Like you said, we disagree on things but I just want to say this is why NSXPrime is so cool. You and I disagree but on many other forums it turns into a stupid verbal insult contest. I like debating things like this. Hell, no one knows what's going to happen. I agree the 911 is mundane, but even if it was a POS, it is easily recognized and remembered. Same with Corvette. I'm sure we've all been someplace where people are talking about nice cars that they've seen. 911, Corvette, etc. are known by everybody. You say, "I've got an Acura NSX!!". You can see them thinking it must be some 4-door Accord with extra sound proofing or something. Now, car enthusiasts for sure know what an NSX is, and it is highly regarded. I was just thinking it would be good for a familiarity standpoint for Acura to to keep the continuity of that recognition from enthusiasts and build on it. I think we'd definitely agree that whatever the name of it, Acura better bust a$$ and market it better than they did with the NSX. WE know they build a superior sports car, but WE are the minority. Anyway, you're right, wait and see. Thanks for a good debate.

I've really enjoyed this thread. Great debate, and two interesting and diametrically opposed points of view with good insight. Don't get personal and it will continue to be great.

I thought this was earth shattering. You have a Honda official talking directly to the press and tells them, for the first time (that I can find), that the NSX name will not carry on. By the view count I guess people don't much care as much about stuff like this as they used to.

:confused:

matteni said:
I guess people don't much care as much about stuff like this as they used to.

:confused:

Nonsense - I do care, but I'm more interested in the Honda CEO's name.
"Iwamoto"
I think that is an acronym for I want more toys...

Back