• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs Lotus Elise

Can any of you NSX owners who have driven the Elise share the
experience and give me some real world feedback....

Thanks!

small. very, very small :biggrin:

I've rented a elise in Vegas and thought it was too small. I'm 6 foot and I feel if i put the top on i cannot go in and out of the car. The manual steering is annoying at low speeds with a super small steering wheel and the car is noisey on hiways. Also this car makes a civic next to you look like a minivan :biggrin:

The car can grip a turn and I feel It will be the king in Auto X competitions. The car is good but i would not pay 45K for it. I'm sure the price will go down when people realize how unpratical the car is for those that do not race. When the hartop version is out perhaps the price would go down.

gtr said:
I've rented a elise in Vegas and thought it was too small. I'm 6 foot and I feel if i put the top on i cannot go in and out of the car. The manual steering is annoying at low speeds with a super small steering wheel and the car is noisey on hiways. Also this car makes a civic next to you look like a minivan :biggrin:

The car can grip a turn and I feel It will be the king in Auto X competitions. The car is good but i would not pay 45K for it. I'm sure the price will go down when people realize how unpratical the car is for those that do not race. When the hartop version is out perhaps the price would go down.
LOTUS = Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

willabeest said:
LOTUS = Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious

LOL. I find that the S2000 feels too small for me, and it is a giant compared to the Lotus. I could care less how many G's the thing could pull, I would feel like a bug about to get squashed. That, and it does indeed look like a bug! I guess I have a more American taste in cars than I originally thought.

I, for one, really liked the Elise. I found it handled very well and responded to every input.

But... I honestly wouldn't feel that comfortable driving one on the 405 freeway during rush hour. And... and this is really the killer, it's not at all comfortable. I'm not a big guy, but there's no room and no sound insulation. That's fine for an out and out sports car but I like to use my cars for weekend trips and the occassional trip to work and the Elise just doesn't cut that mustard.

And yes... even my S2K's seemed like limo's compared to the Elise.

Oh... two bad things. One of the Lotuses, Loti, whatever I drove had poor fit and finish in the interior while the other was great. But both had mediocre at best gear boxes.

+:
Looks
Handling
Exclusive
Handling
Weight/hp ratio
Handling

-:
Overprized
Ergonomy (---)
Build quality
Build quality
Build quality
In cabin noise (serious noise!)

Hardly comparable, 1975lbs.. get the Elise with the track pack, and aftermarket there are currently three different turbo stages available with output ranging from a bolt on kit at 250hp to an upcoming stroked 400hp. :eek:

I drove one at a test track. IMO, its not really mean for a daily driver or cruiser. If I want a track car then I would go for one. It has pretty much most of the characteristics of a track car than a road car..

Pro:
Aesthetics
Driver feedback
Handling
Power to weight

Cons:
Noisy
No creature conforts (its not suppose to!)
Harsh ride
Tiring to drive
Basic interior (well, not much at all really)
Far too common (In UK anyway, seems like everybody has one..)

There's a guy with an Elise here, and my first thought when I saw it..."That's a kit car..." I may be in the minority, but I just don't think they look good.

I have owned my NSX since '00 and last fall I had some money burning a hole in my pocket and saw an Elise at the dealer I bought my Range Rover from. On a spur of the moment decision I bought the Elise. At first I really loved the car. It was fast, turned on a dime, and got loads of attention. I drove the car all over the place and kept the NSX in the garage. I am 6'1 and the Elise was a bit too small but I just ignored that little fact since I was in awe of my new toy. A few weeks ago I got stuck in rush hour traffic in the Elise and freaked out cause it was then that i realised that this car is too freakin small. I went home that day and put the Elise up for sale. Moral of the story is that unless you are really small....and I mean small...the Elise is not a comfortable car. Sure its a blast to drive....sure it looks awesome....but in the end unless you like tight confined spaces the Elise, after the initial joy, will drive you mad.

interesting LITTLE car that can haul ass and take corners like a champ but did I mention it's very small? The car is not worth the price because afterall, it's only powered by a Celica GTS engine

is there a SC kit for that VVT celica engine?
hehe elise + boost = scary :biggrin:

I as well almost bought an Elise. I was searching for a slightly preowned one in the high 30's (cause that is what I think they are worth) and was going to have it shipped directly to Force Fed (the Factor X of the Elise Community). It would have been a really fun car to drive but just not daily.

As an former NSX owner and now Elise owner, I have to say that if you have to ask, you just dont get it, so it's probably not the right car for you. These “comparison” threads pop up all the time on the Elise forums. IOW, people say “I have an NSX now…should I get an Elise?

Here are a few quotes from Elise forum members, a number of whom were, or even still are, NSX owners:

Do you enjoy running the engine to redline a lot?
Do you plan to do track days?
Are you willing to sacrifice ALL aspects of comfort and luxury for performance?
Are you willing to accept a car with less-than-perfect build quality and higher-than-usual issues in the name of performance and handling / feel?

If you answer yes to all of the above, then MAYBE you will like owning an Elise.
(Ara)

Stay away from the Elise. You'll buy it, drive it for a few months, get aggravated with it, and sell it at a loss. Never buy a performance car for the "cool" factor. You'll find that you're either in over your head or the attention just isn't worth it.
(mr.woolery)

The Elise/Exige is such a different experience (both good and bad) from the norm that it is difficult for someone in your position to project how you will feel after a few months of owning the car. Clearly there are people who lust after the cars and will live with, and rationalize, almost anything to have the car. There are a much larger group of people who lust after the cars looks and perceived image. Those are many of the used cars you see on the market.
(ChrisB)

Anyway…I think the above quotes say it best. Not much for me to add, except that because of the reasons outlined above, you CAN INDEED buy a nice used one for the high $30's right now. Take a look at:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums

Back