• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsx Vs Sti

Ugly as sin, but fast as hell off the line. They will demolish a stock NA1 from launch, but lose steam at higher speeds. I've got 3 coworkers with STI's so I've had a chance to run with them. With my CTSC and standard gearing, I can pull away at highway speeds but they still have the advantage at launch.

Even SC'd they pull at launch?

I have been out of the drag race scene for awhile but thats good to know incase i run across one at a stop light. I'll have to act like i'm not interested until we get up a little speed, then i'll get on it. Thats how i used to do it with my Supra vs Vipers. I would let them get real loud at the light while i was upping my boost and then when they hit it i creeped off the line. Then when they slowed down to let me catch up i would let it loose and play catch me. I never raced one from a stop for fear that they would slide into me ay launch. Even with those wicked fat tires out back i have seen allot of kids in Vipers send them straight sideways by over reving or power braking.

Ugly as sin, but fast as hell off the line. They will demolish a stock NA1 from launch, but lose steam at higher speeds. I've got 3 coworkers with STI's so I've had a chance to run with them. With my CTSC and standard gearing, I can pull away at highway speeds but they still have the advantage at launch.

they are fast at launch. IS the reason is that they have smaller engines with a turbocharger?

Whatever. The STI loses in the "Sex Appeal" category. It's sooo Fugly.

they are fast at launch. IS the reason is that they have smaller engines with a turbocharger?

Nope, its the AWD, the crazy short gearing, and to a little extent, the very nice stock rubber they come with. I have an '06, and can say without a doubt it would out run my old NA '92 NSX at any speed I'd try on a public road. If you do want to race one (or an Evo), just wait until they're on the freeway as the faster you're going, the more the AWD hurts then helps. Figured that out using my NSX vs my brother's VR4 ;)

Once in awhile it's ok (when safe) to push your car to its limits! Good job :biggrin:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ah71KYb6CaQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ah71KYb6CaQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

That looks like Cody's LoveFab turbo'd 95 Midnight pearl monster! I'm glad it put the #'s down... altho I think he can do better than 11s! :D

I think that STI was trying to get a head start (nice launch) but he was past the starting position when it went green... If you pause it at 0:46 you can see that the STI jumped the line (Red light under the tree) he should have been disqualified.

I'm pretty certain thats Cody's Lovefab turbo NSX - its Midnight pearl if you look closly! :D

This was before he put the 02+ front end on it :)

Last edited:
That looks like Cody's LoveFab turbo'd 95 Midnight pearl monster! I'm glad it put the #'s down... altho I think he can do better than 11s! :D

I think that STI was trying to get a head start (nice launch) but he was past the starting position when it went green... If you pause it at 0:46 you can see that the STI jumped the line (Red light under the tree) he should have been disqualified.

I'm pretty certain thats Cody's Lovefab turbo NSX - its Midnight pearl if you look closly! :D

This was before he put the 02+ front end on it :)

Without question, it's the FactorX car. It was shot at LasVegas motor speedway (signage in the background). Also, the ce28 wheels they always run. They also announce Mike Angel at the 10sec mark (AKA Pineapple)

More about it here. (old page, not the current monster FactorX NSX)

Last edited:
I also don't find them good looking but they are not made for looks. Even the new model upgrades to STI and EVO X just didn't do it for me while I cross shopped NSX.......I can't spend that much on a car and not have it look good:biggrin: NSX is the perfect combo. Looks and Performance :)

Did you have stock rims or the HP wheels on your car during the race?

I own both and can give a decent opinion. When driving the nsx, I feel more connected, and planted. The sti seems to be more of a car made into a faster model. I purchased the ride a while back (2007 model), and to be honest not really enjoyed it. The airbag light came on, and their isn't a subaru place within 70-90 miles from my hometown. It's fun, but screams young kid (which my wife gives me a super hard time, and calls me a 14 year old kid in it). I miss the feel of more comfort, and the 92 nsx is paid for basically so thinking about trading it for another luxury car.

The nsx is quick, but not as quick to say one hundred. It would not be a super defeat up to 100mph, but the sti would edge it from the jump. Only mod performance wise is k&n filtercharger on sti, exhaust on nsx.

Man, I never get Evo’s , STI’s, Corvette’s, etc. trying to race me . However, I do get A LOT of 4X4 trucks with 10” lift kits on them and beat up old Honda civics with body kits held on by bubble gum trying to race me! So basically, I never race because it just isn’t worth it!

Since we are kind of on the subject;

What car do you guys think is the fastest for the money right now?

I mean if you had to buy a car made in the last 20 years for pure straight line speed on a budget what would you get?

I know there are some deals to be had on MKIV Supras or older Vipers but what else? What are 911 turbos and some of the older super selling for these days and what mods are cheap to some of these cars to get big reliable performance?

"Man, I never get Evo’s , STI’s, Corvette’s, etc. trying to race me . However, I do get A LOT of 4X4 trucks with 10” lift kits on them and beat up old Honda civics with body kits held on by bubble gum trying to race me! So basically, I never race because it just isn’t worth it!"

The other night, I had a old jeep cherokee reviving there engine to race me. I ignored the reviving and then he started honking the horn. I looked over and he said" want to race" I kindly smiled and shook my head no. The car still wanted to race and when the light turn green I left slowly so it would be obvious that I am not racing. The jeep took of fast and then slowed down so I would catch up. I just pulled over to the nearest gas station because this guy looked like he was either drunk or on something and I didn't really want to be on the road with that guy. Funny thing is there was cop about two lights down. Glad I don't race. Don't need any increases on my insurance premium.

Did you have stock rims or the HP wheels on your car during the race?

Rays GT-7 Wheels

DSC_0005.jpg
]

I have a hard time believing you blew the doors of an Evolution. How did you race the Evo (rolling or stopped)? Do you recall which Evolution model you raced (VII or IX)?

The reason I ask is I own both an Evolution IX and NA1 NSX. Both vehicles are stock but the Evolution feels stronger. One of these days, I need to purchase a Gtech and benchmark both cars:wink:

Yep. Twice. I'm not sure why NSX owners think their cars are slow. Maybe it's an NA1 vs NA2 thing? The NA2 does a 12.9 1/4. There are not many cars that are faster. Especially on the highway.

The EVO does a 13.3 1/4 and that's by reving it through the roof and droping the clutch and letting it's AWD work. Take the launching aspect out, and it's not that fast.

Here's the post about it from 2006 when I did it.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75609

The AWD drive train loss hurts STI's on freeway runs.
Bingo. My S60R is impacted in the same manner as the STI. Ironically my S60R is quicker than my NSX and all STI's that I've come up against....:biggrin:

Bingo. My S60R is impacted in the same manner as the STI. Ironically my S60R is quicker than my NSX and all STI's that I've come up against....:biggrin:

u must have the 430hp ver and not the 300hp....

good stuff :)

How fast do you think I will be with I/H/E? on 1/4 and mph?

I have a K&N CAI right now and getting the ARC DTX exhaust and Cantrell header on this week. I read reviews that Cantrell is the best header to make power over the good design of the stock one.

Also remember at the end of the day you are driving an NSX home ;)

Yep. Twice. I'm not sure why NSX owners think their cars are slow. Maybe it's an NA1 vs NA2 thing? The NA2 does a 12.9 1/4. There are not many cars that are faster. Especially on the highway.

The EVO does a 13.3 1/4 and that's by reving it through the roof and droping the clutch and letting it's AWD work. Take the launching aspect out, and it's not that fast.

Here's the post about it from 2006 when I did it.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75609

u must have the 430hp ver and not the 300hp....
Nope. A few mods here and there to increase output on the Volvo while the NSX is stock. I run the NSX with some modded STI's on the track and turn the same lap times as they do. Don't think I've seen stupid amounts of HP on any of the three rides in question although I know they exist somewhere. :)

i was very impressed the first time i drove the STi..... but after another go at it, it doesn't seem all that amazing. the power at 3-5krpm, though, is astonishing. but definitely, and very noticeably, tapers off at high rpm.

handling is very good for what it is. but, since i put the -R suspension on my car.... i have a whole different view of what "good handling" is. however, the awd is veddy nice :biggrin:

i've never really been impressed with the fact that the STi feels like it's falling apart when you drive it.....mechanically, it's chintzy. the stick shakes gear, makes significant gear noise (or something) at 150mph, etc. at least it doesn't feel like a toy when you drive it, like the civic Si.

the nsx could benefit from the massive torque the STi has. the stock nsx suspension could be a bit better too (but my shocks were 18 years old before i replaced them :wink: ). other than that, the engine doesn't give you blue balls. it builds, and keeps building until you shift. everything is way more refined in the nsx. shifts are solid, the trans doesn't feel like it's going to explode. definitely feel more confident at high speeds in the nsx. (esp with that -R suspension.) the seats don't feel like a trampoline.

i just can't imagine what a forced NSX feels like :eek: i bet there is no comparison.

Summary:
- STi is very impressive for what it is. now i just need to drive an evo to do a comparison :cool:
- need to force my nsx
- go buy an -R suspension! :smile:

Back