• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX was Keyed at Lunch Today HELP!

Some people have more angst in their head than logic

Yeah, off your soapbox! It's frustrating when you deal with scum (he alluded to it probably not an ex) As i've mentioned before i had my house broken (gang of crack addicts-police info not mine)into many times and despite having proof the police did nothing. Even when i recovered some items in a second hand store, i heard that the alledged perpetrator said i should be happy that i least recovered some items! You cannot sit down with most of these people and reason. Especially after leaving the state for various crime he went and robbed a bank in another state and was arrested!

You cannot tell me if you caught some one damaging your property, you wouldn't feel the temperature rise?

"Oh excuse me law breaker, that's not in line with community spirit, i do ask that you should cease these detestable actions and run off home. I shall file a complaint with the local rank and file, old boy. I'm off home for tea, tallyho!":rolleyes:

THIS DOESN'T ADDRESS THE ISSUE IN THE ORIGINAL POST, ONLY THE USE OF FORCE IN TEXAS IN RESPONSE.

Let's just say I have more than a passing interest in such things, had a little spare time, and was curious.

The section of TX penal code covering this is short, but complex. I had to read it a number of times for it to completely sink in (I think). To sum up my take on it:

It appears you would generally be justified in using FORCE against someone caught keying your car.

It appears you would probably ONLY be justified in using DEADLY FORCE against someone to prevent their imminent commission of arson or burglary of it, or the theft of or commission of criminal mischief (keying is "criminal mischief") against the car "DURING THE NIGHTTIME", or to prevent them from fleeing after the comission of burglary or fleeing with the car after theft of the car (not arson or criminal mischief) DURING THE NIGHTTIME.

So, if you catch them in the act of keying it, and it's at night, you MIGHT be justified in shooting them. If you do it in TX, sounds like you'd better wait for the sun to go down before calling the cops:)

Keep in mind that there are some other caveats which apply. If you'd like to read the short-but-complex statutes, read ALL of both pages of Title 2, Chapter 9, Subchapter D (several times) at this URL:
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/pe.toc.htm

Keep in mind that if you shoot someone, you'd better have read ALL the statutes first, you're GOING to go to jail, and you're GOING to need a good lawyer. You will also be sued in civil court by their relatives.

Also keep in mind that this is more liberal than most state's laws, where the use of deadly force generally requires that your life be in imminent danger of loss.

As for whether or not someone caught keying an NSX DESERVES to be shot? Let me make it perfectly clear where I stand: YES. That's an individual judgement, and if you disagree that's certainly your right. I'll just politely say that we can agree to have a difference of opinion regarding that.:)

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

A Lesson In Crime Elimination, By Winston Wolf

I am very sorry at what has happened to your car, Mr.NSXR1. But I have been enjoying this thread. I like Texan law. :D

I had a little ****** key my NSX once. One of my men caught him. It took balls for the kid to do it. Rather than kill him i eliminated the source of the problem. Since it took balls for him to key my NSX that's exactly what I removed - his balls. Problem eliminated! :D

This may surprise you gentlemen, but I do not agree with taking a man's life over a small act of vandalism. Though I am not saying I do not condone such actions. :D Simply I have shared this story to demonstrate more peaceful methods of crime fighting. I hope you have learned something today. :D

Good day to you all gentlemen. :D

Re: A Lesson In Crime Elimination, By Winston Wolf

Mr.Wolf said:

I had a little ****** key my NSX once. One of my men caught him. It took balls for the kid to do it. Rather than kill him i eliminated the source of the problem. Since it took balls for him to key my NSX that's exactly what I removed - his balls. Problem eliminated! :D

taking his balls is way better than taking his life. btw what did you do with his balls? :D

Mr. Wolf:

That's cool man. We all have our ways. Civilized gentlemen will always be able to disagree on matters of opinion in a civilized way. Opinions are oft the result of very different experiences, and therefore, perspectives.

When I read the description of what was done to Mauck1's car, I must admit that I didn't consider that to be a "small" act of vandalism, although that too is relative. Believe me, I know. These types of things come up all too frequently, and invariably reactions range from "off with their heads", to "it's just a car, guys...what are you getting so upset about". I've read it all before.

I think it's fundamentally a matter of just EXACTLY how much VALUE (not necessarily dollars) that one places on their particular car, and the condition that it's in. How much did a person endure / sacrifice to acquire their car? How much to keep it? How much to keep it in a condition which is personally gratifying to them? What is the practical likelihood that damage can be repaired to a level the owner will be satisfied with? If destroyed, what's the practical likelihood that a replacement can be acquired that will bring the same satisfaction to its owner? Again, it's all about the value an owner places on their car and its condition. It's very personal, especially to those of us who are "car crazy".

I endured a lot and sacrificed a great deal to acquire my NSX. Due to life's circumstances, I have sacrificed a great deal more to keep it. I've endured even beyond that to keep it as near "perfect" as possible, as is satisfying to me personally. I place a great deal of value on my car, and its condition. Too much, some would say, but those are my values.

My other car, my favorite in life barring the NSX, was vandalized nearly annually for 2 decades. The car is essentially trashed now as a result, although I cared for it as I do my NSX. The body repairs have now rusted, and the re-painting now fallen off. My first NSX, which I worked and looked for for years, was torched and burned to the ground two weeks after I got it. If you value your cars as I do, and you experience as much misery due to vandalism as I have, you too may develop a different perspective about vandals. You too might come to view vandals as being among the other lowest of the scum of the earth, and also feel that they deserve no better fate.

No, I've never shot anyone for vandalizing my cars, and likely would not. That does NOT however mean that they wouldn't be deserving of it. We simply can't shoot everyone who deserves it, else we would not remain the civilized gentlemen that we are. :)

I think your solution to the problem was quite appropriate. After all, there are worse things than being shot.

Cheers

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

I think it's fundamentally a matter of just EXACTLY how much VALUE (not necessarily dollars) that one places on their particular car, and the condition that it's in. How much did a person endure / sacrifice to acquire their car? How much to keep it?

It's not even the value or what type of property that matters for me. It's that fact that someone as disrepected my personal/property space (especially with my aforementioned burglaries) That offends me the most. IMO :)

AJNSX:

I agree, and understand completely. I think anyone who has been victimized by scum enough times likely would as well. Again, our perspective is largely based on our experiences.

If you're down under, I guess you face another challenge in that your government has seen fit to disarm most law-abiding citizens, which means the scum now have you out-gunned. The inequities of life really suck.

I'm off for some tea myself, before I get too depressed just thinking about it all.:)

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

Hold on a sec,

I'm an Aussie and I have never ever see a loaded gun unless its on a cop. It is extremely rare to have guns here in the general public. There are cases of shooting deaths but mostly in the organised crime and that is always big news even when "Joe blow" gets shot. Even the cops have to use Capsicum spray here.

We Aussie are too busy watching sport on the TV with a beer in hand to do anything like that.:D :D

Good Luck with it all!!

I'm an Aussie and I have never ever see a loaded gun unless its on a cop. It is extremely rare to have guns here in the general public

You obviously haven't been around the cambodian, filipino and vietnamese communties! The Cambodians i knew drove around in their commodores with loaded shotguns in the boot! As well as other not so nice things i've seen in certain communities.

dippy9 >>>I'm an Aussie and I have never ever see a loaded gun unless its on a cop

I'm sure, and I'm glad, because if you see one otherwise it likely won't be in your hand, but that of some scum. Don't get me wrong, from all I know it's a great place down there - probably far safer than here. There were "only" 363 homicides there in '02, only 2/100000. Of course the ones involving firearms were only 14%, with knives being far more popular now at 35%. However, 56% of those were in residential locations, with 49% being in private dwellings. The real question is: how comfortable are you defending your home against scum (armed with anything) without a gun? Maybe you're good with a knife - I'm not. Of course murder, robbery, armed robbery, rape involving guns has trended downward somewhat over the years, but that doesn't mean such crimes have trended downward at all. Of course other weapons have become more popular, but so has crime. The real question remains what would you, as a law-abiding NSX owner:) prefer to have at your disposal to defend yourself if you should, God forbid, become one of these statistics? That's the only question that really matters - not what the scum will have in his hand when HE tries to kill YOU.

I sincerely hope you never have NEED of a gun, just as I hope I never do. However if some scum does break into my house with ill-intent, I can assure you he won't be the only one who's armed.
Here in AZ, statistics suggest that makes him less likely to break into my house. I hope that's true, and it's quite logical, so it probably is.

Remember that in these days of the so-called 'new world order' and the 'shrinking globe', now, more than ever before, scum is everywhere. Scum is highly mobile these days (unfortunately).

:(

I guess we could hardly get more off-thread-topic here. I apologize.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

Just a quick update on my NSX. I had my insurance company take a look at the car today and they are saying just under 4k to have all of the body panels removed and refinished. This seems a little low to me. I am wondering, if they remove the panels won’t they need to replace the rubber around the door and what not? Also I plan to specify to the body shop that I want the original paint type used, does any one think I need to do this? I am worried that they will use cheap paint and do a crappy job in order to make a profit from the insurance.

Sorry I couldn’t make it out to Reston on Sunday but I actually had a tree branch fly off a truck go through my Passat windshield on Friday on the way home from work. I really had a great week with cars last week

Sorry to hear of the continued bad luck, but glad the branch didn't take YOU out.

I don't know much about paint work except that based on some bad experience, I'm afraid of it. I would have the same concerns you do. I don't know if 4K is actually low or not, but it's on the low side of what I'd have guessed. Someone else may offer better guidance, but I think I know what I'd do. I'd do some due diligence and select a place that I believed would be a good choice to have the work done by (not easy, but you'll probably need to do it anyway). I'd then go talk with them, tell 'em your concerns, and get them to estimate the job on paper (which you're not likely to be charged for). If you find that the 4K number is just too low, you would at least have some ammo to take back to the insurance adjuster to argue your case with. Sometimes adjusters CAN be negotiated with.

Probably doesn't help much, but that's what I'd do. Good luck.

Richard
'93 Blk/Blk

$4k seems a little cheap for someones life, better make sure they didn't miss anything in that estimate.

To each his own JMO.

Hope the car turns out all right.

When I had to have some of my Nissan 300zx repainted due to a chunk of tire hitting it, my insurance company had a whole list of body shops that they called "service first" locations that would look at the car, estimate it, and do the work and just bill the insurance company what they estimated minus my deductable. I then had the luxury of going around to any of these places, having them look at the car and getting an estimate to have the work done. Keep in mind I had to clear this with my ins. co. but once they realized I had a legit claim they just said go find who you want. My carrier is State Farm and they have taken great care of me in the past, what you get from other carriers may be different but that's now mine works. My point is, based on doing it this way, you don't necessarily have to get the cheapest repaint, go to the best place out there and tell them you want it done perfectly and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to bill your carrier the ammount it takes to do it perfect.

Then again, maybe doing things this way probably doesn't help keep our rates low does it??? :confused:

Oh yeah, $4000 sounds like their doing it with a paint brush considering the process that was used building the NSX.

Back