• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO 2013 - Raleigh, NC - October 11 -16

Wow!!! I disappear for a year or two and look what happens. You guys got an NSXPO !!!! Congrats John, et al. I have no doubt that you guys will put together a terrific event. John is an absolute fanatic about details and perfection. This is going to be one that you don't want to miss.

I would really like to come for the social aspect and shoot the breeze with some of my old friends but I'm a bit put off by RSO's attitude toward "locals dropping in." I don't mind paying my share but I have no interest in going where I'm not welcome. If there is a "hang out in the parking lot" portion of the event I would love to drop in but if not, I hope that you guys have a great time while you are in my neighborhood.

I would really like to come for the social aspect and shoot the breeze with some of my old friends but I'm a bit put off by RSO's attitude toward "locals dropping in." I don't mind paying my share but I have no interest in going where I'm not welcome.

I'm amazed this type of comment keeps coming up year after year, especially when someone who has been around as long as you makes it since you obviously have read my explanation each year the subject comes up.

NSXPO is an event for NSXCA members and is a multi-day event where members pay a reduced fee to attend a multitude of events and where costs are underwritten by sponsors who make generous contributions to the NSXCA for the benefit of its membership. Each year there is a local owner who "complains" that they should be able to just drop in and attend a portion of the event simply because it is held in their backyard. We are unable to have "a la carte" pricing and each year we explain that we cannot accommodate someone who just wanted to attend only a portion of the social event because that is all they are interested in.

Each year there is a track event during NSXPO. That portion is open to anyone to "drop in" but obviously you need to pay if you want to go on the track and we ask that pay for your food if we provide it to our paying members to ensure that there is enough for all paid attendees.

My "attitude" is to ensure that the event is run smoothly for all members who have traveled from around the globe and paid to attend. My "attitude" is also to try to protect the NSXCA from "gate crashers" who may cause a problem that could result in liability to the NSXCA. We sign contracts for many of the activities and are responsible for damages if something happens. We have found in the past that nsx owners have decided that it would be "fun" to try to blend in when not being registered and that has resulted in issues for the club:

1. In Florida, we rented an aviation museum for the group photo. Priceless aircraft were on display for us and we were permitted to use them for a backdrop. Several locals who were not part of the event got onto the property and after the photo they proceeded to burnouts on museum property near the planes. The museum curators were not pleased and we would have been liable for any damages they caused.

2. In California, locals showed up at the host hotel and in the middle of the night thought it would be fun to do burnouts and drag race on the service road next to where we had our parking. The residents in the area complained and the police were called who then warned the club despite the fact none of the attendees were involved.

3. In Pennsylvania, several locals tried to get into the banquet dinner without having paid. This would have resulted in a paid attendee having problems getting a seat and being fed if we were not able to have them ejected from the premises.

These are just a few examples of problems we have incurred when "locals" have felt entitled to show up and attend activities without registering simply because they lived in the area.

If someone pays just like all other attendees, that member is welcome. Quite honestly, each year I am "put off by the attitudes" of some who just don't understand and appreciate the hard work that goes into putting on an event such as this. Cars and coffee events are held regularly all over the country where owners simply "drop in". Other events like NSXPOs are planned 18 months in advance, have six figures costs, are paid in part by sponsors who want to do something for NSXCA members and are attended by members from around the world who have incurred their own expenses to travel and be a part of NSXPO. The event is for them and since it is open to all NSXCA members, all are welcome.

Last edited:
This might not be the area to ask this... But I'm trying to fax in my info to nsxca and it won't go thru. I guess mailing it is the only option? I can't beleive they don't have a email form. I paid with PayPal already...

Also how much does it cost to enter or join the NSXPO this year? Just trying to get a budget together! I see rooms are 109 a night but no cost on joining the social event itself.

This might not be the area to ask this... But I'm trying to fax in my info to nsxca and it won't go thru. I guess mailing it is the only option? I can't beleive they don't have a email form. I paid with PayPal already...

Also how much does it cost to enter or join the NSXPO this year? Just trying to get a budget together! I see rooms are 109 a night but no cost on joining the social event itself.

Sorry for the fax problem. The machine is physically located in my house and a recent thunderstorm zapped my line. I will pm you my work fax number.

The social registration fees are not set yet as we are calculating the offset for sponsor monies but generally in the area of $300 per person is something we are shooting for.

lol...I like to "hang out " at wedding halls in my neighborhood....always nice people and plenty of good food...

I'm setting up hotel reservations tonight!! What time Monday will it be wrapped up? I'm debating if I should get a room for Monday night at the Garden Inn or not. I know things aren't set in stone yet, just a idea. It's a 7 hr drive I'm debating on going home at the end of Monday to save a vacation day. But if its too late I'll just stay and drive back the next day.

I'm setting up hotel reservations tonight!! What time Monday will it be wrapped up? I'm debating if I should get a room for Monday night at the Garden Inn or not. I know things aren't set in stone yet, just a idea. It's a 7 hr drive I'm debating on going home at the end of Monday to save a vacation day. But if its too late I'll just stay and drive back the next day.

Brian, on Monday morning we will be heading up to VIR for some combination participation/observation events that might include karting/skid control and possibly some parade laps on the track. At any rate, you would be about an hour closer to home. And could probably elect to leave anywhere after noon.

Ok, that sounds great! So now I know to book from Thursday night thru Sunday night then. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Room Booked!
Actually, Brian - most will probably be arriving Friday afternoon - traveling to Raleigh on Friday.

Looking forward to seeing you.

John

I'd like to point out something in this year's NSXPO scheduling that is slightly different from previous years. Please note, I am not speaking on behalf of the event committee (although they are welcome to chime in, of course); this is just something I've noticed and people should be aware of it in planning the dates when they will attend.

In many previous years, the social portion of NSXPO began with registration and a cocktail reception on Thursday evening, with a full program all day Friday and Saturday (including dinners) and during the day on Sunday (including lunch only). The track event was then held on Monday and Tuesday. Most folks arrived on Thursday, and many of those not participating in the track event departed Sunday afternoon.

This year, the track event takes place on Tuesday and Wednesday, so the entire event schedule has shifted a day later. The social portion begins with the traditional registration and a cocktail reception but this year on Friday evening, with a full program all day Saturday and Sunday (including dinners). This year, most folks will probably arrive on Friday. As John has noted above, Monday's activities will take place at the track (not on the track) and those signed up for the social portion are welcome to participate in them. So those not participating in (or spectating at) the track event will probably depart on Monday, either from VIR after participating in Monday's activities, or from Raleigh without going to VIR.

Hope that makes sense and helps everyone in planning travel dates.

Ok, we'll I guess I'm gonna call and see about changing my check in date to Friday. I wasn't sure if it started Friday morning or afternoon.

RSO 34 I amazed at your perfect attitude twords party crashers I will stand with you at the face of the hordes and defend NSXPO honor. your da man. :wink:

I'd like to point out something in this year's NSXPO scheduling that is slightly different from previous years. Please note, I am not speaking on behalf of the event committee (although they are welcome to chime in, of course); this is just something I've noticed and people should be aware of it in planning the dates when they will attend.

In many previous years, the social portion of NSXPO began with registration and a cocktail reception on Thursday evening, with a full program all day Friday and Saturday (including dinners) and during the day on Sunday (including lunch only). The track event was then held on Monday and Tuesday. Most folks arrived on Thursday, and many of those not participating in the track event departed Sunday afternoon.

This year, the track event takes place on Tuesday and Wednesday, so the entire event schedule has shifted a day later. The social portion begins with the traditional registration and a cocktail reception but this year on Friday evening, with a full program all day Saturday and Sunday (including dinners). This year, most folks will probably arrive on Friday. As John has noted above, Monday's activities will take place at the track (not on the track) and those signed up for the social portion are welcome to participate in them. So those not participating in (or spectating at) the track event will probably depart on Monday, either from VIR after participating in Monday's activities, or from Raleigh without going to VIR.

Hope that makes sense and helps everyone in planning travel dates.

Ken, EXACTLY the situation this year. Because we couldn't get Monday/Tuesday track dates, we had to adjust the schedule. And because this works out to be the Columbus Day weekend, many will have that Monday as a holiday.

Thanks Ken for the clarification.

John Komar - Co -Chair NSXPO 2013

It's 1212 miles one way for me. I would love to go though! My only concern would be having a secure parking spot for my baby to sleep.

Poor boy, your 1212 miles will be a reasonable drive. Coming from Denmark, Hawaii, and Japan - those are distances.

- - - Updated - - -

I might have to miss this one. I don't think it "will fit".................

i-8KwHXMs-X3.jpg

thinking of which... never got a decal for last year!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm soooo excited to attend my first NSXPO! My heart is racing! Glad to see there is one hotel with secure parking. That was my first thought. My second thought....Where the heck do you put your luggage in an NSX???

We can possibly make a caravan up. Luggage isn't a problem - just make it soft sided. Michelle and I drove to Boulder took over a week to play and she's not a 'light' packer.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not looking forward to the close to 2000 mile one way drive, but I really want to track my NSX on VIR. This will be my second NSXpo and it will be my first time on the track. I am hoping I can get the holidays to make this trip possible.
I am in training for Ironman Wisconsin in early September, so most of my holidays will be used up for that, but I hope I can string together another couple of weeks for this. I have dreamed about VIR for years.

Heck, it's the ride you should look forward to! Winnepeg to Raleigh is a bit shorter than Sarasota to Boulder. Just find some great stops along the way (we stopped in New Orleans, Graceland, and Kansas City (friends there)) on our way last year. Tons of fun everywhere and tons of looks on the road.

:(

The extremely iconic Oak Tree (the symbol of VIR) went down last night due to the storm. Extremely sad news, for those that have been there will understand.

It hurts to look at, even with a Ferrari in the picture.

I will be looking for a pair of right hand seats for some of the social events. Driving to Raleigh, (2500 miles one way) isn't the issue, I just can't take the time to drive it. My wife and I will be flying in, and we have followed the NSX convoys, in a rental car, in the past at NSXPO2010. (not that much fun)
We would love to have the option of riding in NSXs instead of rental cars.
Just putting it out there, I am sure it won't be a problem hitching a ride. (unless someone in the area has a spare NSX):smile:

Last edited:
Back