• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsxpo 2014 ?

An open letter... on behalf of many fence-sitters, many of whom live thousands of miles away and probably some international folks too...

The burning questions given that:
-the location of NSXPO 2014 is Somewhere, Ohio
-we have been patiently awaiting coordination with Mother Acura and the NSXPO team
-the NSX 2.0 Performance Manufacturing Center is in Marysville, OH

1) Will we see the new NSX up close and be free to examine every inch of the car?
2) Will we see the new NSX drive on a track or open road?
3) Will we experience the new NSX from the driver's or passenger's seat?
4) Will we see the new NSX manufacturing facility?
5) Will we meet with the new NSX design and build team?

We certainly look forward to meeting other owners and sharing experiences, learning more, group drives, etc

Kindly level-set our expectations so that we can plan accordingly

We would love to be able to answer all of your questions. However we simply can not comment on those items at this time. Plan on it being a great experience just like EVERY other NSXPO has been.

Just an early heads up that the club would appreciate assistance from the photographers among us. I have been to the last 13 consecutive NSXPOs and been the "de facto resident photographer" during the events. Unfortunately the date change we were compelled to do conflicts with my wedding so I will have to miss this one. Plus, my partner in crime in NSXPO photography, Alan, is my wedding photographer so we will need someone from the club to step up and fill the void.

Have no fear of wrecking your car - you're in control of that and this is not a race event and really risk free if you drive within your limitations.

I wouldn't go that far. Something as simple as a coolant hose leak on the track can spell disaster for other cars as well as your own.. I've seen it first hand at several HPDE's. Is it much safer then driving on the streets? Absolutely!

I dont plan to track my NSX...just not worth the risk IMO. If it were salvaged, that'd be a different story.

I wouldn't go that far. Something as simple as a coolant hose leak on the track can spell disaster for other cars as well as your own.. I've seen it first hand at several HPDE's. Is it much safer then driving on the streets? Absolutely!

I dont plan to track my NSX...just not worth the risk IMO. If it were salvaged, that'd be a different story.

Yes, anything is possible but you are much more likely to get damage on the streets.

I tracked my NSX for the first time at NSXPO 2001 at Road America. I did 8 sessions on the track and passed one car, one time, in my last session. And I had open wheel experience through Skip Barber.

Fast forward to today. I have been to 13 consecutive NSXPOs, have 111 track days in my '96 for over 11,000 track miles, have 152,000 miles on the ticker and have sustained "track related damage" three times:

1. At Lime Rock, I had two adjacent studs fail on my right rear and my wheel sheared off in the left hander. No body damage since the wheel folded under the rotor and kept the body off the ground until I went into the grass.

2. At Kids Day at Watkins Glen, a rental vehicle backed into my driver's door - at the motel - while 10 of us yelled at the driver to stop.

3. Coming back from VIR at last year's NSXPO, I hit a tire carcass in the middle of the highway ripping off my front lip, fender liners, side marker.

So, my most significant damage from tracking the car happened off the track at track events. Have I hit fluids, etc on the track? Yes, but the training has allowed me to remain "under control" in those situations.

At the track events during the last 13 NSXPOs I have attended I can recall 4 incidents of significant damage to NSXs out of the hundreds of NSXs involved driving thousands of miles during 27 track days. Two of those four incidents were avoidable if the drivers had listened to the voices in their head rather than exercise bad judgment.

^^^ totally agree with you, however, I'm just not willing to take the small risk. I didn't want people reading this thread to think that driving on the track is "really risk free" like GECKO mentioned. You're not always in control of how others will react to a given situation.

Just an early heads up that the club would appreciate assistance from the photographers among us. I have been to the last 13 consecutive NSXPOs and been the "de facto resident photographer" during the events. Unfortunately the date change we were compelled to do conflicts with my wedding so I will have to miss this one. Plus, my partner in crime in NSXPO photography, Alan, is my wedding photographer so we will need someone from the club to step up and fill the void.

Taking that into account and have a friend of mine :

https://www.facebook.com/OJSDesign

He is planning on attending. While he can never fill your shoes he will at least be able to get some decent pics of the event and people. REALLY wish you could make it.

^^^ totally agree with you, however, I'm just not willing to take the small risk. I didn't want people reading this thread to think that driving on the track is "really risk free" like GECKO mentioned. You're not always in control of how others will react to a given situation.

I understand.

But for those on the fence, please note all NSXCA HPDE events are sanctioned by Lockton Motorsports which means we qualify for our students to purchase insurance (at your own cost). You can decide how much you want to insure for, deductible, etc.

http://www.locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/

I don't go on a track these days without it.

What about helmets? (and this is probably more for a different topic) do they have helmets to rent? I got to dig mine out and see if it is still good.

Yes, you're right..........but I was assuming all cars were in tact and that the 'driver' was the one to worry about smacking up the car.........there are always factors even walking on the side walk. I'm merely saying the risk is far greater on the roads, highways, parking lots, etc. then on the track and if you are worrying about spinning out and crashing then the risk is low is you take it slow and gradually go faster as you get used to the track experience. If anyone has never been on the track, then I'd suggest his is the place to do it........safe, no paint, oils, sewer covers, people, dogs or oncoming traffic. Opportunities like this do not happen often in a controlled situation and you can bet ALL the organizers will do their utmost to give you an experience like never before.

Nothing is ever 'risk free' and as somebody once said "the greatest risk is taking no risk at all"...............but the driver is in control of his/her vehicle and should always drive within his/her ability level. This is not a race, no timing, you don't get bragging rights to say you beat someone - just a fun time to experience your car on a track at slow speed should you choose to go slow. There are different levels of groups, so no doubt new track drivers will be in the slow group.

Last edited:
What about helmets? (and this is probably more for a different topic) do they have helmets to rent? I got to dig mine out and see if it is still good.

The club has loaners. When registration opens up, just put in a request. We own the helmets and have able to share them with the members for free. We just ask that you provide your own head sock for sanitary purposes.

I do have a head sock.

middle of the week dates and very little details or what we will be doing

oh well maybe next year......

Hi

NSXPO is usually evening thursday to sunday for the social part. Then monday and tuesday for the track days. Now it is tuesday to thursday track and then the social part from thursday evening to EDIT SATURDAY evening. That is not that different.

Yes there are little details out there. There is a reason for that. As Jim Cross said on NSXPrime on Facebook: "Does anyone really think with a new NSX coming out, an NSXPO at Mid-Ohio and environs, Ted Klaus as our guest speaker at last year's NSXPO, that Honda and the new NSX won't be involved? Honda has always been close mouthed about new car launches and details so this is nothing new."

So I will be going this year for sure. I think we will be part of something big. If its not as big as I can imagine it will be epic anyway.

Best regards

Last edited:
Correction received today.
Folks, we have to apologize, we were so excited to finally announce the dates that we didn't do a great job proof-reading the announcement.

Unlike past NSXPOs, this year's NSXPO will end Saturday night. We know many of you travel great distances to attend each year and often must leave before our Sunday activities were over. Therefore, we decided that it made more sense to end on a high note --- our Saturday (October 18) night banquet and give you more flexibility on returning home.
The REAL Official Announcement for NSXPO 2014!
Ladies and gentlemen, we have dates -- Tuesday October 14 - Saturday October 18, 2014

This NSXPO is being handled slightly differently than the past. Track days will be Tuesday - Thursday October 14 - 16 from 8AM - 12PM each day and will be held at Mid-Ohio.

Social registration will start on the evening of Wednesday October 15 and the social portion will go through the rest of the week.

We have some amazing things being set up for NSXPO 2014:

* Beautiful country drives
* Museums
* Big “TECH DAY” with hands on possibilities
* Large Vendors area ( bring your money )
* Chassis Dyno for those people who “ just want to know
* Car show* Saturday banquet dinner with awards and guest speakers (TBA)
Keep an eye out for an early bird registration!

Further details to follow. See you at NSXPO 2014!

I am looking forward to it.

As Rob and I spoke last week. I will bring my canon and hopefully take some photos that he would deem worthy. Cant wait. Too bad you cant fly in for the tuesday to thursday and back to NY for the wedding. But we all understand.

If anyone has never been on the track, then I'd suggest this is the place to do it........safe, no paint, oils, sewer covers, people, dogs or oncoming traffic. Opportunities like this do not happen often in a controlled situation and you can bet ALL the organizers will do their utmost to give you an experience like never before.

Nothing is ever 'risk free' and as somebody once said "the greatest risk is taking no risk at all"...............but the driver is in control of his/her vehicle and should always drive within his/her ability level. This is not a race, no timing, you don't get bragging rights to say you beat someone - just a fun time to experience your car on a track at slow speed should you choose to go slow. There are different levels of groups, so no doubt new track drivers will be in the slow group.

I would say a track like Mid-Ohio is not the place for a novice driver to be learning on.

http://trackpedia.com/wiki/Mid_Ohio

This course is one of the most challenging race courses in all of the United States.

Mosport, Calabogie, Mt. Tremblant...........all more technical tracks then Mid Ohio - yet host events of great magnitude with beginners as well. To a beginner ALL TRACKS are challenging.............There is a movable gas pedal for a reason - you don't necessarily have to push the pedal to the metal as they say :>)))))))), just enjoy the learning experience. I've coached riders and racers around North America on some of the wildest tracks and never had any incidences with the beginners - it's not about testing how fast you can go on your first time out, that's now why NSXPO has the track. It's more to let all of you (us) have an experience where you may not ever get the chance and while I understand the majority don't want to smack up their car, crash or get it - that's a mindset that the individual has. Once overcome, and you get on the track you'll wonder why you waited so long...........it's perfectly all right for NOT taking your car on a track, but IMO this is much easier, safer and the least amount of risk compared to going out on a track day with a "car track club" that does this for a business. Besides, you'll never get to be on track with just NSX's (or the majority in case daily drivers are on too)..........just sayin but as Bob as said - it's pretty much incident free and mostly driver error.

Sorry to hear you aren't happy with the dates. We will see you next year.

Keep in mind if you look at previous years announcements that most initial posts do not carry a ton of details in them. Those are worked out sometimes up until the last couple days before NSXPO. Have you ever been to one? If not, I can assure you it is a great experience that will bring you closer to people with the same passion you seem to have for these cars.

- - - Updated - - -

I would say a track like Mid-Ohio is not the place for a novice driver to be learning on.

http://trackpedia.com/wiki/Mid_Ohio

This course is one of the most challenging race courses in all of the United States.

Phil, You are right. It is a challenging course. But no reason for beginners to be afraid of it. We will have options for even the most beginner driver out there. We are working closely with Mid-Ohio to be sure everyone has options and chances to not only drive at speed for experienced drivers but to start slow and learn the correct way for people who have never stepped foot onto a track.

Last edited:
Regarding today's NSXCA email

"NSXPO 2014 ANNOUNCEMENT UPDATE

Dear NSXCA Members,

As most of you are aware, we have announced the NSXPO2014 preliminary plan and our location in Ohio. With this announcement has come significant speculation from the membership in regard to the new NSX and the possibilities of specific events taking place around the new NSX. The planning committee wanted to reach out to all members to make sure assumptions are not taken as fact. The NSXPO2014 planning committee, in conjunction with the NSXCA Board of Directors, has put a significant amount of time and effort over the last 6 months to plan this event and to make sure we can provide a great venue, with events that meet the highest standards, as in all of our NSXPO’s. We want to be very clear and not set any false expectations. NSXPO2014, although held near the planned new NSX factory, will not include the new NSX. We wanted to make sure you were aware as you plan for NSXPO14.

As you have seen in our original announcement, we have a great event planned and no one will be disappointed. We look for forward to seeing you there. We will provide timely updates as appropriate.

We are looking forward to another very memorable NSXPO!

NSXPO14 committee."

:confused: So my question is this. If we aren't planning to tour the new facility, why was it so difficult to settle on dates and why couldn't we find a date that Bob and Karen could attend?

I'm not on the committee but I'll still render an opinion. With the event still quite a bit away, there's still a chance Honda N America would provide some level of access to view the next gen car. Since the NSXPO will be in their back yard, probably wouldn't take as much planning on their part whereas it can take a lot more planning for the entire event organizers

Back