• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO 2016 location?

i have a question about the location of NSXPO...does the hosting city have to have a road course track nearby? Sorry if that has been asked before.

a track day or two has always been a priority along with the social events...longest drives to the track are usually less than 90 minutes

I have a great track 15 min from my home. Anyone interested in driving to Edmonton AB Canada? 6.5 hours north of the US / Canada border. (Just off the Montana north coast) :) For those in South Cali, ~ 28 hour drive.

I didn't think so.

Mark if you're serious, I'd be happy to help/provide input.

I would be, but I think that it just being in SoCal it would be hard to get back to back years here...also, as nice as it is here in the SD area, there isn't any close tracks, so that kinda kills it.

But, I was thinking of trying to stir up a mini nsxpo in the spring and do like a two or three day track event / autocross at a track somewhere between So Cal and Vegas.

I would be, but I think that it just being in SoCal it would be hard to get back to back years here...also, as nice as it is here in the SD area, there isn't any close tracks, so that kinda kills it.

But, I was thinking of trying to stir up a mini nsxpo in the spring and do like a two or three day track event / autocross at a track somewhere between So Cal and Vegas.

As far as tracks there is Chuckwalla at Desert Center.

Watkins glen in 2004 was great. Need a little something close to home for a change

Maybe somewhere in the middle of California and get the NorCal and SoCal gangs together. Pismo Beach/MOrro Bay? Buttonwillow would be a 2 hr drive from there but maybe..................

Maybe somewhere in the middle of California and get the NorCal and SoCal gangs together. Pismo Beach/MOrro Bay? Buttonwillow would be a 2 hr drive from there but maybe..................

Sounds good!!!:cool:

Let's get it done!!

Bondurant here in Phoenix, and we have a lot of great driving routes [emoji16]

PHX would be great. Just not in August and after September. :) I haven't been to Sedona in forever and need a visit.

Bob B taught a vehicle dynamics class during my first year at Ford; how great it was to learn car stuff from Bob during working hours... Though ever since I saw him on TV at a Meecum auction go up plant a kiss on a gal he must've had the hots for back in the GT40 days and then stick out and wag his tongue at her face on live TV, I've been kind of scarred ever since!

Jhae, you're right though, visiting Pittsburgh in the crisp autumn air would really suck. Took a few random shots on my way to getting the yeti inspected today and captured some of the miles of suckiness.

23ece27720cd908919c418a35959a240.jpg

e6df07adb34a9c75e2e0e9b2cd0e69f7.jpg

b8ccc3fae320d1d1463fba60f0c10d01.jpg

haha the boosted desert and cali guys would spin their cars off the road with the extra hp that dense air would provide:biggrin:

Country air so thick you can taste it and weigh 1/4 lb more on every inhale.

Here's what a 30mph as-posted bend looks like at 95 mph in a Tacoma.

9470300d6452bda4d2dba19018af6611.jpg

Ok more like 40 mph.

Is there a hard rule that NSXPO has to move around from region to region each year? I understand that is the preference but hypothetically, if no one else bids except SoCal for next year then wouldn't that make said SoCal bid the natural (and only) choice for NSXPO 2016? :biggrin:

Is there a hard rule that NSXPO has to move around from region to region each year? I understand that is the preference but hypothetically, if no one else bids except SoCal for next year then wouldn't that make said SoCal bid the natural (and only) choice for NSXPO 2016? :biggrin:

With that said how about Monterey geewhiz it's got everything you want..

I was thinking that Austin, TX would be good since its central and fairly equidistant for owners, decent weather, bars, music, etc
Also has COTA for the track: pricing for one exclusive track day = about $60K (I got a price quote from them)
Very expensive... has great facilities
-
The one consideration about Monterey, which is a great location, is that Laguna Seca has noise restriction policies to consider
Either way, tracks need to be reserved WAY in advance...
-
Happy planning to whoever submits a proposal

Also has COTA for the track: pricing for one exclusive track day = about $60K (I got a price quote from them)
-
Good luck with that...Lets see, 30 HPDE entries, thats only $2,000.00 each for 1 day.
If it was going to be held on the West coast again, I think Vegas would also need to be considered, Spring Mountain is on 45 minutes a way and still somewhat affordable.

Last edited:
-
Good luck with that...Lets see, 30 HPDE entries, thats only $2,000.00 each for 1 day.
If it was going to be held on the West coast again, I think Vegas would also need to be considered, Spring Mountain is on 45 minutes a way and still somewhat affordable.

yup.. COTA is a very expensive playground

Get Rob Ferretti to plan the HDPE days? He can locate it on a road course between NY and CA, easily accessible from most states.

I was thinking that Austin, TX would be good since its central and fairly equidistant for owners, decent weather, bars, music, etc
-
The one consideration about Monterey, which is a great location, is that Laguna Seca has noise restriction policies to consider
Either way, tracks need to be reserved WAY in advance...
-
Happy planning to whoever submits a proposal

COTA and Daytona are on my bucket list and are "being explored" as possibilities for a future nsxpo (I do get to be a little selfish sometimes as an NSXCA Officer.......). The way to do it is hook up with a group who has access and already has rented it and just coordinate timing of the event. The club does have such a "connection" but the financing is the difficult part. Irrespective of financing we would need a committee to be formed to put together NSXPO including the social event and then try to work in the "bucket list" tracks if at all possible.

Vegas for NSXPO 2016

Daytona would be pretty sweet for sure. I'm sure our Florida connections can make that happen. I'm in.

.... about 3 hrs to Summit Point

Shudder....I'm not sure I'd want to inflict Summit on people unfamiliar with the risks involved with 'tracking their cars. That track is neat, but is behind-the-times (being polite) in the safety department. Pocono is a nice facility though, particularly after recent renovations, 'been there a couple dozen times.

- - - Updated - - -

Not Volunteering, but spit-balling here:

Somewhere in the Northern Georgia or Eastern TN might work well. If you stay west of the 'smokies the weather that time of year is typically cool, but dry (~40s-~70s), the winding roads are second-to-none and you are spoiled for choice between the 'Dragon and surrounding roads, or the roads around Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga or there-abouts. The down-side is that you run into the need to commute to a track. Again though, you have choices: From Chatt/Knoxville you are between 2-3.5 hours from Atlanta Motorsports Park, 2-4 hours from Barber, 2.5-4.5 hours from Road Atlanta,......oh, and ~3.5-4.5 hours from the National Corvette Museum Track (lol).

barber is a lovely venue for the track piece...

Back