• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSXPO trip planning: Midwest attendees

RSO 34 said:
I don't really know what you expect in terms of "NSX stuff." Everyone there is an NSX owner and afficianado and events are planned to appeal to a cross-section of attendees. I have been to the last three and this year's event does not seem to be "veering off" what has been done in the past.

"Spirited country drives", if organized by the NSXCA, may lead to liability issues if something happens during them. That is not say that individuals cannot get together and go for a drive but if those plans include speeding, racing, driving recklessly or otherwise becoming a potential hazard on the roads that would be your responsibility rather than the NSXCA. There is plenty of opportunity to "stretch your legs" by doing two days on one of the best road courses anywhere.

My experience is that prior NSXPOs often had difficulty appealing to spouses/significant others who really could care less about the car (yes, they do exist although often in respectful silence to our obsessive/compulsive feelings toward the NSX). Different types of activities are necessary to generate interest among the broad spectrum of members. The whole idea is to provide an opportunity for many members from across the country to get together, socialize, engage in a little track smack talk and generally have an opportunity to meet those we may only know by their Prime aliases.

Just out of curiousity - what types of activities do you think are missing since the last time you went to one 6 years ago?

I see what you mean. I guess luck has been on my side in that I have a significant other that is a 'car girl' to the end. She loves cars and loves car meets and events. I think since I enjoy things like the 'spirited drives', which for reasons I do understand have been eliminated, and events like that are no longer part of the plan, it seems less appealing to me to attend. Again, I understand why they are gone, and I know there is a track event, but there is something that is fun about going over a stretch of country road at 100 mph with 20 other NSX's. You made your point well, and it is something for me to think about. Thank you, I appreciate that as well.

I can't think of anything funner than blasting down the back straight at the glen at 130 mph! :D

Meeyatch1 said:
but there is something that is fun about going over a stretch of country road at 100 mph with 20 other NSX's.

Please allow me to get onto my soapbox for just a moment. I admit that I enjoy travelling at fairly high rates of speed on a regular basis (many times out of necessity because I drive quite a bit to Courthouses all over the state and log about 50,000 miles per year on the highways) but I still prefer to engage in those types of group speeds on the track. Unfortunately, in my line of work I see all too often the end results of incidents that are caused by such activities on the streets and roads. Having 20 track rats speeding on a country road with the possibility of "civilians" unwittingly being placed in harm's way is just asking for trouble. Having 20 drivers with little or no HPDE training doing the same is simply a recipe for disaster.

I am currently involved in a case where several cars of teenagers were speeding along a country road when the lead car lost control and struck a pole. As a result, a 17 year-old girl is dead and and another 17 year-old girl is confined to a wheelchair with devastating physical and brain injuries. They thought it was fun to speed in a group drive through a local town.

I never like to get preachy but there is a time and place for everything. A group drive of 75+ NSXs around the old Grand Prix course in downtown Watkins Glen at reasonable speeds is just as valid and enjoyable as approaching the bus stop at the end of the back straight at the Glen doing 130. Toss down a shot of adrenalin with a chaser of responsibility and everyone goes home happy and healthy.

To get back to the point for which this topic was created...

nsxtasy said:
Since I will be driving out on October 5, and Manuel won't be driving until October 10, it sounds like we need a point of contact for the main group which will be driving out there on October 7. Volunteers?
We need someone to be the point of contact for the group of 10-20 cars driving out to the event on October 7. What this entails is deciding on a place and time to meet, and posting it here; also, having his phone number in the information packet sent in advance to event attendees, so that those deprived owners who are not on NSXprime will have someone to call to find out about where to meet. Would anyone here be willing to do this? Preferably someone with a cell phone that can be called the day of the drive. Anyone?

docjohn said:
I can't think of anything funner than blasting down the back straight at the glen at 130 mph! :D

Been there...done that....and, yeah, it was pretty darn fun. :D

RSO 34 said:
...I never like to get preachy but there is a time and place for everything. A group drive of 75+ NSXs around the old Grand Prix course in downtown Watkins Glen at reasonable speeds is just as valid and enjoyable as approaching the bus stop at the end of the back straight at the Glen doing 130...

While I respect your point, I must say that the low speed parade laps are not anywhere near as enjoyable for me. For you it might be as much fun as the high speed stuff, which is perfectly okay, but for me that is not even close to blasting down a straightaway at over 100 mph with the engine singing. I am just being honest. I enjoy high speed and have an addiction to it, and have for as long as I can remember. I enjoy my speed as responsibly as possible and try and find places with low traffic. I do not wish to turn this into one of the many 'safe driving' threads we have on this forum, I just wanted to share my position on this and why the low speed parade laps just do not get it done for me. Thank you.

Folks,

It seems that a little more detail about NSXPO2004 would go as long way for this thread:).

In regard to the event having a social twist, it is true and planned that way. We are interested in having SO's and family join us, even if they are not as enthusiatic as we are about "cars only":). We are holding this years event in a great country setting, it will be peak fall colors in the NE, for folks who do not see that often, etc. But...to think for one munite the technical/NSX/car stuff has not been considered a main focus, lets look at a few things;):

Friday - Poker Rally, 109 miles, check points for being dealt your hand for a 5 card draw poker tournament at the end of the rally. Luch mid way, ending in a country park (with maybe an activity(not 100% worked out yet). The vineyard tour will be optional, for folks that want more out of the day, before returning to the hotel.

Saturday - Tech Sessions/Vendor Booths seminars in the morning include:

Yokohama Tire Co.
Joe Lomoriello - Vince Auto Body - NSX Body Work
Matt Markarian - Detailing Dynamics - 3M Protective Paint Film
Andie Lin - Cobalt Friction - Brakes
LarryB - Asimo Motorsport - NSX engine maintenance/repairs, including hands on tear down of NSX training engine, courtesy of Davis Acura

Now although this ends officailly at 12:30pm, we plan on making it an open forum later in the day for those who may wish to talk about specific issues or other tech topics.

Sunday - Zymol Concours in the morning, then after lunch we will drive the original US Grand Prix roadcourse, and have individual photos in the afternoon.

Monday/Tuesday - Track days at Watkins Glen.

Heck, I missed all the NSX stuff;).

Now Mitch, go to www.nsxpo.com, register and get your butt out here:). I would be nice to meet you face to face.

HTH,
LarryB

I think Larry just HTH'd (Hit The Hammer) you Mitch! :p

Have you not signed up yet? Shame on you Mitch! If you aren't coming than just send your wife. She'll have a great time with the X. ;)

There are always a few surprises, too, and many of them turn out to be car related - everything from the door prizes (last year everyone received a pullover sweater, a high-quality tire gauge, and car detailing products) to the guest speaker (anyone who saw David Hobbs speak at NSXPO 2001 knows how much fun that was), to... well, you'll just have to be there to find out. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a surprise!

I am going! Thursday morning I will stop at the I-hop in South Bend as keN SaX pointed out. Please let me know if any one else is going to be there so I will not detour without good reason.
I can be reached at [email protected] or via my cell 312-720-2402 or on PRIME

Bob Kenney said:
Thursday morning I will stop at the I-hop in South Bend as keN SaX pointed out.
The information about the meeting time and place can be found by clicking here.

Please note that the meeting point is the Original Pancake House. It is not an IHOP (International House of Pancakes).

Bob, would you like to be the cell phone contact for the group, so that the Michigan guys can meet up with you on the way?

HELP!! I need a ride!

My NSX has been grounded. Too many problems for too long of time. Now I need a ride to NSXPO. Sure I can drive my RL there, but what fun is that? I've already got a hotel room for myself (my girl can no longer join me) and am commited to attending this event. I can bring the usual radio, wipes to detail your car, and WMD's to deter slower drivers. I can also pump gas like a pro; even sipher off of fellow NSX comrads while they are not looking! I'm not looking for charity here. Just a hand out of the greatest proportion!

Does anyone need a copilot? If you have removed your spare I could easily be stuffed in there as well.

P.S. - Sorry, I do not fit in the subwoofer space. However, I do produce better lows than the terrible BOSE as well as move a lot of air within the cabin.

Argh... I just bought two new rear tires for this trip.. and, after 40 miles, I got another flat! left rear! So... I won't be driving my car to the NSXPO. I will have a new tire before we leave, but I have zero confidence in my car making the trip becuase of the frquency of my flat tires. I haven't been able to drive my car at night for several years now because of the fear of getting a flat and not being able to get a tow truck. What fun is that?

Always getting a flat tire?

GinaK said:
Argh... I just bought two new rear tires for this trip.. and, after 40 miles, I got another flat! left rear! So... I won't be driving my car to the NSXPO. I will have a new tire before we leave, but I have zero confidence in my car making the trip becuase of the frquency of my flat tires. I haven't been able to drive my car at night for several years now because of the fear of getting a flat and not being able to get a tow truck. What fun is that?

How the heck?

Back