• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM vs SOS Sport Clutch Longevity?

Here's another point to consider - and this is a generality I've learned in the past 11 years. When a certain product becomes popular you're more likely to hear of problems even when the problems may have nothing to do with the product. 8-10 years ago when the Comptech clutch was the most popular aftermarket clutch, you'd often hear "problems" about the clutch - when it really had nothing to do with the product. Not adjusting the master cylinder was a popular theme even though it is indicated to do so in the instructions.

This is not to say that problems with products are unheard of. Specifically to clutches, we had a run of three billet twin carbon clutches where the counter bore on the discs were incorrect. The problem was identified, fixed and parts were replaced.

The usual warranty claim with clutches is premature wear. This can be a sticky one because it's easy to fault a clutch for prematurely wearing where the problem can be instead the misuse, wrong application, installation, or driving technique. Premature wear has been a complaint with aftermarket clutches in general that have lighter assemblies. Everyone wants a quick fast reving sporty clutch, but with anything there are trade offs, and driving technique must be adjusted to compensate. Here's an excerpt from our instructions:

The ScienceofSpeed Sport Clutch and Flywheel assembly are considerably lighter than the factory clutch and flywheel. Due to this, the engine acceleration and deceleration speed will be faster. The engine speed will drop during upshifts faster than a factory clutch and flywheel. Because of this, the transmission should not be shifted slowly or the clutch will constantly need to match up the engine and transmission speed which may lead to accelerated wear.

The ScienceofSpeed Sport Clutch is designed to last as long, or longer than a factory clutch. However, just as with a factory clutch, this depends on the driver. Most clutch wear only occurs when the pedal is pressed or depressed by the driver – regardless of how fast or aggressive the car is being driven.​

This is one of our top selling products, so please consider the other various reviews that you can find on NSXPrime when making your decision.

regards,
-- Chris

Chris the first Sport clutch you introduced. Is it the same as the clutch you currently offer, or different manufacture. Curious because I have quite a few miles on mine and it has worked flawlessly since Day 1 when I had Larry B install it. Im very happy with the results but don't want to spread misinformation. Im trying to talk My Pops into getting the same one I have. The one he has is so stiff its I find it difficult to drive I think it's an RPS.

We have offered two single disc clutches over the years. The prior model had a billet aluminum black cover. About three years ago, the manufacture of the disc in Japan was bought out and the disc being used was discontinued. We've since replaced it with the model we have today, which has a red cover. They are functionally very similar, the major difference is the new model has a several millimeter smaller disc.

By the way, if you're curious, we use this clutch in both of our cars - one N/A producing 400 whp, the other turbocharged producing in excess of 650 whp. The turbocharged application is way beyond the capacity of this clutch to test durability beyond limitations (and of course would not be recommended to a customer).

cheers,
-- Chris

We have offered two single disc clutches over the years. The prior model had a billet aluminum black cover. About three years ago, the manufacture of the disc in Japan was bought out and the disc being used was discontinued. We've since replaced it with the model we have today, which has a red cover. They are functionally very similar, the major difference is the new model has a several millimeter smaller disc.

By the way, if you're curious, we use this clutch in both of our cars - one N/A producing 400 whp, the other turbocharged producing in excess of 650 whp. The turbocharged application is way beyond the capacity of this clutch to test durability beyond limitations (and of course would not be recommended to a customer).

cheers,
-- Chris

Thanks for clarifying. :smile:

But this brings up a question I wanted to direct at you: At what percentage of failure of a particular consumer product would you consider the product to be defective?

A defect is a defect. So the answer to your question to me is potentially smaller than one percent.
If there is a defect in a product, even just ONE than that example is defective.
I believe proven defects are covered by a limited warranty( mileage, age and proper use and installation are common mitigating factors in product liability) on this item, be it from OEM or SOS.

My turn!:biggrin: Now I direct a question to YOU personally.
What would have to happen for you consider such to be a product defect in the clutch itself?
:smile::smile::smile:

Back