• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Firearms Thread

You can get 9mm 1911s, though they may have to be special order. Best trigger in the business if made by a good company. Most options for customizing by far, and unless you have big hands, you may find the grip more comfortable.

I carry a Nighthawk T3 in .45acp but they recently released the T4 in 9mm. Beautiful weapon if you're a 9mm guy or gal.

The CZ is a great choice, fit my hand as well as my HK45 new style does. I like the EAA versions of the CZ's better, good bang for the buck.

You can get the hk45 with the LEM trigger which eliminates the single/double "problem". The 45 would be better for home defense but it'll cost a lot more to shoot than a 9mm.

You should look at the HK P30 as well.

Thanks for the feedback. I never gave much thought to a .45 Caliber due to expense of the ammo but I wont rule it out. I just looked at the HK P30 and it too looks like something I would like, only I think I would opt for the P30L.

One of the reasons I like the Sig P250 is the full size longer barrel, and the caliber conversion. The CZ 75 just looks cool, I'm intrigued with the inner rail slide. In fact, I'm going to stop by a local Airsoft store today to see if I can pick up the CZ 75 Airsoft replica just to play around with and see how it feels. I'm going on a trip in October so I'll probably pick up my real handgun after I get back because I don't want to miss my permit to acquire pick up window and my registration window either. I'm kind of excited to get my first handgun. My instructor friend is also planning on opening up his own range, so hopefully I'll get a lot of live fire practice when that happens.

I'm going to stop by a local Airsoft store today to see if I can pick up the CZ 75 Airsoft replica just to play around with and see how it feels.

I don't know squat about airsoft but it boggles my mind that an airsoft replica of real firearm would work and feel even remotely close to the real thing.

I don't know squat about airsoft but it boggles my mind that an airsoft replica of real firearm would work and feel even remotely close to the real thing.

It's more for the grip, weight, sighting and such. Not the recoil or trigger feel. The good replicas weigh the same as the originals especially if its an officially license one, and if they are the licensed one its made to the exact dimensions with all proper and official markings. They are all metal, metal slide, working slide via gas blowback, but obviously not the same kick. It's really just to see how the grip feels, the weigh, to see if I like the sights, and to play around with in the back yard. I think it will give me some good feedback before I go an order one if I chose that route. I've only heard a few references to the CZ on local gun forums, so I don't think there are too many around here. I just want to get some kind of feel for the ergonomics before I decide. If it feels like a cheap toy than I won't bother buying the air sold replica. We'll see though.

PS. The other thing is I shoot right handed left eye dominant right now and I want to retrain myself to right eye dominant. I think I could benefit from the replica practicing my grip, trigger pull, sight acquisition and so forth in between range time. Right now it takes a lot of patience and work for me to shoot right eye dominant. I do keep both eyes open.

Last edited:
Chris,

PLEASE do yourself a favor and check out the CZ P01. I can't stress enough how damn good this gun is. Especially at your size (I'm not a big guy either)- the P01 will feel like nothing you've ever held. It's just ergonomically perfect. Ambidextrous and has a decocker. Not to slight the Glock guys, but a Glock feels totally unnatural to me and feels like a chunk of junk next to the P01. To be fair, so do the CZ polymer guns.

I took my carry class with the full size CZ 75 and thought it was great, but the P01 is just soooo much better in my opinion.

Check out youtube reviews of the P01. Rave reviews. Many claim that there's not another gun out there for even twice the price that gives you what the P01 does.

Two small gripes: The main spring is too stiff, and the stock phillips head screws that come with the rubber grips. The rubber grips feel great, but I'm going to get the walnut handles from the CustomCZ shop, better screws and a lighter main spring. The full frame with light rail just makes it look badass!

from CZ USA website:

The P-01 9mm (designated the P-06 in .40 S&W) was designed for LE and Military duty, but its compact size and the reduced weight due to its forged alloy frame made it ideal for discrete carry as well. Equipped with a decocker, the P-01 provides convenience for those who prefer hammer-down carry.

The P-01 was the first CZ model to benefit from updated manufacturing technology at CZ's Uhersky Brod factory. The components of the P-01/P-06 are completely interchangable with every other P-01/P-06, with no individual fitting required. This required some very careful re-design so that the reliability and accuracy were not impaired. Since the time of its introduction (designed in 2001, NATO-approved in 2003) the production upgrades have been rolled out to most of the CZ 75 family and several new rifle models as well. The 1913 accessory rail easily accepts any of the industry-standard lights and lasers to assist low-light use. After 3 years of some of the most aggressive small arms testing ever, the CZ P-01 won the honor of replacing the CZ 75s previously used by the Czech National Police.

Reliability: The U.S. Army "Mean Rounds Between Failure" (MRBF) requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols. During testing of the CZ P-01, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired. This is a .05% failure rate or an MRBF of 2142!

For many years, the P-01 carried an NSN engraved on its frame, making it the first NATO-spec pistol ever available to the public. Recently, the factory decided to upgrade the slide stop spring which in turn means the current models may not carry the NSN.

It's a tad ridiculous. That's M1 Garands, Carbines, and 1903s.

Honest question, have M1 Garands, Carbines, or 1903s been involved in any crime?

Well, sarcastic people would say 1970 at Kent State...

However, despite this not being my thread, I would suggest that discussion of proposed or pending firearms law could easily turn political and get the whole discussion locked.

As a serious answer, I saw a dash cam not too long ago with a Vietnam vet snapping on a traffic stop, and apparently killing the officer with an M1 carbine. The actual stop may have been several years ago, I don't have the details off hand. Was chilling to watch, the officer had gone completely to condition black, was screaming for help on the radio and seemed like he couldn't bring himself to fire back. The model of the gun doesn't matter to me, as I like to hold the person responsible rather than the tools, but it's an honest answer to an honest question.

Given that, I would love to see all those old guns come back to the land of their birth and find homes with deserving and appreciative Americans.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if that link is the most current thing issued by the ATF (because I don't really want to read through all the legal language right now), but the proposed rules change has been changed from the last time I posted. Now they want to do backgrounds and signatures on all persons named on a trust. Completely different from the original proposal, and completely ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't have the force of law yet, but as the ATF is not up for reelection, there's really no reason for them to stop.

so I handled a bunch of conceal/carry 9mm ,and the MP shield felt best in my hand...have not shot it.I read up on the recall for the trigger safety..other than that recent issue ,anyone who has shot that gun got anything else to say about it?

Last edited:
so I handled a bunch of conceal/carry 9mm ,and the MP shield felt best in my hand...have not shot it.I read up on the recall for the trigger safety..other than that recent issue ,anyone who has shot that gun got anything else to say about it?

I haven't shot it but on the gun forums I frequent, the owners rave about it. It's a great little gun. Don't overlook the .40 cal. Much more stopping power than a 9.

thanks Hugh..btw I'm a novice at all this but does 1 mm in diameter make that much difference...:confused:

Well, sarcastic people would say 1970 at Kent State...

However, despite this not being my thread, I would suggest that discussion of proposed or pending firearms law could easily turn political and get the whole discussion locked.

As a serious answer, I saw a dash cam not too long ago with a Vietnam vet snapping on a traffic stop, and apparently killing the officer with an M1 carbine. The actual stop may have been several years ago, I don't have the details off hand. Was chilling to watch, the officer had gone completely to condition black, was screaming for help on the radio and seemed like he couldn't bring himself to fire back. The model of the gun doesn't matter to me, as I like to hold the person responsible rather than the tools, but it's an honest answer to an honest question.

Given that, I would love to see all those old guns come back to the land of their birth and find homes with deserving and appreciative Americans.

Thanks. Nothing was coming to mind.

As far as thread discretion, I think the subject matter at hand is inherently touchy and disagreeing with a political decision is well within the thread's scope. As long as it doesn't turn vehement and argumentative.

Yes, I think we've all been doing well so far and there's no reason why it can't stay that way.

And docjohn, caliber makes a difference, but not as much difference as accuracy. If you feel like you can be more accurate with a 9mm, then the entire system, gun, cartridge, and shooter, can be considered more effective than a .40 in the same hands. Just pick a quality bullet if you're looking at defensive use, and you have no need to worry.

Now, if you get to the point where you can still maintain accuracy with more powerful calibers, moving up in bore size can make you more effective. I carry a .45 at work and a .357 at home. I have to practice a lot to maintain a skill level high enough to justify that choice, though.

thanks Hugh..btw I'm a novice at all this but does 1 mm in diameter make that much difference...:confused:

With the money you save in ammo, you'll be able to practice more and become more accurate.

so ammo cost/availability seems to be a limiting factor for many.As far as ammo is concerned what are the options for practice vs real world use.?

I guess I will join the 'support group' here.

I have found the keys to accuracy for me to be a comfortable grip, a bright front sight, a good trigger and practice. When I finally started getting back into shooting a few years ago I toyed around with many pistols. In particular, I have found good triggers hard to find in dual action carry pistols, or maybe I am just too picky. For example, I loved the Walther PPS but didn't like the trigger. In the end, I practice with a Browning Buckmark 22LR pistol and my carry guns (Sig P238, J-Frame Smith .357, very early and well-worn Glock 19, Dan Wesson 1911)

IMO, practice with any decent FMJ the caliber(s) of your choice. I use Federal American Eagle, Sellier & Belloit, Blazer Brass, Aguilla, etc for practice ammo. I carry good hollow points and look for it to say 'law enforcement' somewhere on the box (solely for liability purposes) - for example Federal HST .45.

Best to all this holiday weekend.

Without making another pitch for my favorite calibers, you should know that the argument about which is best has been going on for probably decades, and shows no sign of ending. Heavy bullets vs fast ones, wide bullets vs skinny ones, bonded vs plated or jacketed, Glock vs everything else in the world... and there are good points on both sides of every aspect of the issue. Makes it difficult to be completely wrong, unless you go for one of those FN 5.7mm pistols (kidding, although I don't like them).

If you're really concerned about ammo costs, you could look into reloading. Brings my cost per 100rds of .45 ball to about $17, last I checked. I've seen factory ball go for $30 or more lately for a box of 50. If you're not super familiar with guns it may seem intimidating at first, but I don't think it's any more difficult than changing my own oil.

As far as defensive ammo, most any major brand hollow-point pistol bullets will work pretty well nowadays. What some people overlook is that the ammo must function in your particular gun. Fire at least 50rds of whatever you choose for reliability testing before you settle on a carry load. For what it's worth, my department issues Winchester Ranger duty ammo, 147gr for 9mm, 230gr for .45, and I can't remember for .40 because I don't shoot one. When supplies of that run low, we've been known to use Gold Dot, and Federal HST.

Another thing I do is start every pistol session with about 100rds of .22lr. You get far cheaper ammo, plus the recoil and sound is greatly reduced. The benefit of this is you can get more repetitions before fatigue sets in, and it's easier to observe ways to improve your technique. Poor trigger squeeze, poor grip, etc, can be explained away as "man, I know I did that right, but the gun kicks so hard I guess I need to lift more weights," until you shoot a .22 (friend had a .454 Casull, and couldn't shoot it despite being twice my size). Rimfire ammo was on the endangered species list for a while, but I'm seeing more and more back on the shelves.

Edit-just noticed MJK suggested the same thing re; rimfire.

Last edited:
Bought a WASR 10. Man, these things are ugly compared to ARs. But I love how unpretentious it is even with all of the typical WASR issues.

Back