• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Firearms Thread

Nice review of the P30:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XEc0QX_zDMo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So i was talking a a local gun shop and the guy was in the military and told me that in the gun trials the Beretta 92 didn't actually win on replacing the 1911.

It was the P226 and P30.

USA government told them that they wanted more than a 50% ownership in the company and both Sig and HK gave them the middle finger.

Beretta pulled their pants down.

The Barrett M107 did not win the competition for a .50 cal sniper rifle, but they bought it anyway. It could be argued that the Stryker lost its competition against the MTVL, but they bought it anyway. The M4 lost in a reliability test recently against several other options, but they won't consider replacing it.

I haven't heard this about the Beretta before, but it's not a surprise.

I love my H&K Compact 9mm. Never a misfire. Just keeps on shooting.

I know there was a controversy when the M9 was chosen but I find it hard to believe the govt. would request 50% ownership of a specific company in order to secure a weapons contract. I think you're thinking of Beretta establishing a manufacturing facility in the US whereas its competitors wouldn't.

I think you're thinking of Beretta establishing a manufacturing facility in the US whereas its competitors wouldn't.

^ this.

.gov isn't in the business of making money, it's in the business of wasting it.... as fast as it can.

I think the whole 9mm pistol thing was done to appease NATO members who we forced to adopt first the 7.62mm and then the 5.56mm rifle cartridges. Nobody in the military really fights with pistols as a primary weapon anyway, so the whole magazine capacity argument is a somewhat moot point. The 1911s were worn out because many of them were over 50 years old, but they could easily have just bought more. Which they're actually doing now, to my great amusement.

The M4's reliability is dependent on the magazine. Using the standard issue aluminum magazines the weapon is prone to the occasional to frequent misfire/ malfunction. Using the polymer magazines from Magpul resulted in the M4's having virtually zero issues in a variety of environments from jungles to Afghanistan. The governments response to this was to mandate the use of the standard issue magazines and to ban the use of the polymer magazines.

The M4's reliability is dependent on the magazine. Using the standard issue aluminum magazines the weapon is prone to the occasional to frequent misfire/ malfunction. Using the polymer magazines from Magpul resulted in the M4's having virtually zero issues in a variety of environments from jungles to Afghanistan. The governments response to this was to mandate the use of the standard issue magazines and to ban the use of the polymer magazines.

Not true
http://m.military.com/daily-news/2012/06/07/army-now-says-no-ban-on-rifle-magazines.html

I'm really hoping they get away from the M9. Although its a somewhat comfy weapon, the sights are terrible! So hard to acquire a quick sight picture with such a narrow and small 3-dot system. I'm hoping they they keep making strides to introduce the FN FNX-45...

LOL...yeah, the m9's sights aren't the greatest. I like the fnx 45 but man, that thing is u-g-l-y. To be frank, I'd just be glad to see the armed forces re-adopt the 45ACP, in any reliable handgun, so that the perennial b*tching about the 9mm would stop.

Not true
http://m.military.com/daily-news/2012/06/07/army-now-says-no-ban-on-rifle-magazines.html[/QUOTE

True if you are in the Marine Corps.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the whole 9mm pistol thing was done to appease NATO members who we forced to adopt first the 7.62mm and then the 5.56mm rifle cartridges. Nobody in the military really fights with pistols as a primary weapon anyway, so the whole magazine capacity argument is a somewhat moot point. The 1911s were worn out because many of them were over 50 years old, but they could easily have just bought more. Which they're actually doing now, to my great amusement.
The 1911's are not that old and get replaced regularly. We recently have transitioned to the M45A1.

I meant at the time when the decision was made to switch to the 9mm, one of the arguments presented was that the existing stock of 1911 pistols was worn out and had higher maintenance costs. Those small groups in the military that are fortunate enough to keep using the 1911 are usually able to get whatever they want.

My Guns

I recently gave this 2my Pops.

My girl friend after a face lift.

Sweetest shotgun I've ever shot...

I know there was a controversy when the M9 was chosen but I find it hard to believe the govt. would request 50% ownership of a specific company in order to secure a weapons contract. I think you're thinking of Beretta establishing a manufacturing facility in the US whereas its competitors wouldn't.

Well that would make sense to me if the US government wants to be a control freak (happens often) so Beretta doesn't get in a mood swing about what country USA wants to be in....

Beretta has been family owned since the 1500's. So they're not going to give up equity for a pistol contract - much less 50% of the company.

It makes sense to me too especially in context of the time. That the govt wants to help promote economic benefits instead of propping up another nation's economy (or at least make it appear they're doing so.)

Ok guys where are all the ARs?

D10F40BD-F01F-45A7-A126-B4C001D75155-5371-00000698087BE104_zps1a099e1b.jpg

ScorpionAR_zps5c3bf6f9.jpg

firepig_zpsec73e76b.jpg

IMG_4469_zps81fc9df4.jpg

Pfft...people love ar-10s but very few have experience with them (iirc).

my noveske order was cancelled b/c they stopped producing the n6 so now it's an obr and a seven month wait.

People don't want to pay for the ammo, in my experience. The guns are out there, there's the POF, PWS, each in a few lengths, there's DPMS, Rock River, Sig 716, or roll your own on a MEGA receiver. I've probably missed a few in that list, too. Unless you're running three gun and don't want to slow your times down, I think there's a lot to gain by moving to the larger gun.

I fully agree with you based on what most people use their rifles for and considering people are not a fan of buying expensive ammo that is designed for certain characteristics like trajectory or terminal ballistics it does not make much sense. A 77 grain Black Hills SOST 5.56mm round has phenomenal terminal ballistics as well as a flatter trajectory and a smaller MOA than say 62 grain green tip.

I posted one, but seems there's no love here for the .308. Are all those yours? If so, I'm very jealous.

Of course those aren't all mine that'd be silly. ;) The red one is my wife's. That bottom one is a 308 (dpms pattern lr308). The pistol is 300 blackout and is my favorite gun. I built all of those from parts.

Nice, especially the pistol. Have you considered the Sig brace for that? I know it's possible to shoulder a pistol buffer tube, but a de facto buttstock ought to make it more comfortable and a bit more stable.

I built an AR15 from parts, working on a second one but much slower than I would like.

Back