• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

oil leaking on new NSX :( HELP!!!! PICS

***************Update info and pics 4/10/08. My NSX engine almost blew due to another issue from the ex owner horrible timing belt install.*************************

Hey guys need some help and hopefully this is just a minor leak as I bought the NSX just over 2 weeks ago and I have barely driven her since driving her from the seller in Utah since the rear tires are bald and I'm waiting for the new tires to come this weekend. I haven't even redlined or driven her hard at all.

This evening I come and back her out of the garage to clean some stuff out of the garage and I notice a small puddle........I than back her out more and see that the oil is fresh and shes still dripping.

I don't have a manual so I'm not sure where the oil is leaking from.I took many photos and you can see where the oil is coming from.

It looks like it dripping onto this black tab which is creating 2 drip spots. If I look inside the black there is cog wheel (diff? tranny?)

What kind of leak is this? :(

oil2uc5.jpg

oil3lk8.jpg

oil4lr9.jpg

oil6mt6.jpg

oil7dy4.jpg

Last edited:
From the pictures, I can not tell exactly where is the leak.
It may be a the valve cover gasket or the cam plug or V-tec solenoid gasket.

Check your oil filter and around the oil pan and see if you see any drip.

Keep in mind, oil leak is normal with our nsx, it is just a matter of replacing the new gasket and you should be ok.

From the pics/description seems to be a pretty heavy leak. Like Carmar said, see if you can find a source from above, such as valve covers or vtec solenoid. Slap on a latex glove and run your hand around the engine. Hopefully it's not one of the shaft seals.

Yeh its toward the center but a little to the right when your underneath car. Its dripping off that black tab. I'm not sure where the valve covers or solenoid is.....

I have slight oil on the bottom of my engine and around random areas. I've never seen a leak so I'm guessing mines not that bad. Either way I don't like it and did a little research on how to locate exactly where it's at.

I was told to use dye in the oil and then put a uv light underneath. This will help in your case I think more than mine because it seems like there's a good amount of oil around. Where mine might be a slower leak and it might not come out right away.

Hope this helps. I haven't done the dye trick yet though.

Stephen

....Keep in mind, oil leak is normal with our nsx, it is just a matter of replacing the new gasket and you should be ok.

I beg to differ. It's not normal for any car to leak, it's just expected with some exotics, not with the NSX. My '94 has never left one drop of oil on the floor except for when I'm doing an oil change and get lazy and forget to catch the oil while removing the filter.

To the OP, what does the level look like on the dipstick? Was there any evidence of a leak when you inspected the car before the purchase?

I beg to differ. It's not normal for any car to leak, it's just expected with some exotics, not with the NSX. My '94 has never left one drop of oil on the floor except for when I'm doing an oil change and get lazy and forget to catch the oil while removing the filter.

To the OP, what does the level look like on the dipstick? Was there any evidence of a leak when you inspected the car before the purchase?

I agree with Doc. My car has never driped at all. As I think back I don't remember my other NSX had a drop on the floor as well.

You posted recently about an oil change and perhaps putting some oil in your car. Could this perhaps be an over fill on your part?

Good luck.

I agree with Doc. My car has never driped at all. As I think back I don't remember my other NSX had a drop on the floor as well.

You posted recently about an oil change and perhaps putting some oil in your car. Could this perhaps be an over fill on your part?

Good luck.

Ditto, no oil leaks on my 97. The only NSX oil on my garage floor is from changing the oil filter.:wink:

Did some searching around engine and saw the same type of oil caked a little around this area and it was still wet also. Heres a pic? does this help at all?

I'm sure I didn't over fill. Oil level is slightly above the 1st circle but I did start her up about 2 hours ago for a minute.

Last time I topped her off on a cold engine was halfway between first and 2nd circle.

The seller said no leaks and Mike Hale Acura PPI passed but I don't really have to good of a review with the Acura dealer.

The oil drip pic from 1st post isn't as bad as it seems, the pic was taken after I smeared my arms with oil going under.
oil8pg3.jpg

oil9vo3.jpg

oil10wg0.jpg

Do you guys think cam seal is the main source of leaking? How much labor is it ? :( I can't belive that it just suddenly started leaking after I bought it.

If it is the cam seal than most likely it is engine oil leaking correct?

Edit: beaten to the punch. Are those pics if YOUR car from the topside, or something you found online?

If oil is leaking from an NSX, it is almost always from one the following (unless something big has gone wrong).

1. oil pan gasket
2. valve covers
3. Vtec solenoids aka spool valve
4. cam plugs
5. user error (filter not tight, no crush washer, sloppy filling, etc)

With that much oil, it is almost certainly NOT #4. Regardless, I would get in there with a simple green soaked rag and clean up anywhere there is oil. Then, check the oil and go for a quick spin. Be sure to get it hot and into VTEC a couple times (spool valve seals). Drive home. Park. Let it cool and find out where it is leaking. At risk of sounding stupid, they usually leak where mated the block and at the lowest point. So, it could be hard to see from the top.

I made you a picture to show what is where.

attachment.php

Attachments

• whatiswhere.jpg
    whatiswhere.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,908
I'll try to drive a little tonight and do a dipstick test but can you guys all the see some of the light oil fluid in the circle?

Besides the pictures of the 2 spots thus far, I can't find oil anywhere in the engine bay.

The pics are my car topside about 15min ago

Edit: beaten to the punch. Are those pics if YOUR car from the topside, or something you found online?

If oil is leaking from an NSX, it is almost always from one the following (unless something big has gone wrong).

1. oil pan gasket
2. valve covers
3. Vtec solenoids aka spool valve
4. cam plugs
5. user error (filter not tight, no crush washer, sloppy filling, etc)

With that much oil, it is almost certainly NOT #4. Regardless, I would get in there with a simple green soaked rag and clean up anywhere there is oil. Then, check the oil and go for a quick spin. Be sure to get it hot and into VTEC a couple times (spool valve seals). Drive home. Park. Let it cool and find out where it is leaking. At risk of sounding stupid, they usually leak where mated the block and at the lowest point. So, it could be hard to see from the top.

I made you a picture to show what is where.

attachment.php

Do you guys think cam seal is the main source of leaking? How much labor is it ? :( I can't belive that it just suddenly started leaking after I bought it.

If it is the cam seal than most likely it is engine oil leaking correct?

Looks to have been leaking for a while with all grit and accumulation on nearby surfaces.

This recent thread has more info. If you're near needing the timing belt replaced, now is the time to do it all, along with the water pump, tensioner, and all seals/gaskets.

Looks to have been leaking for a while with all grit and accumulation on nearby surfaces.

This recent thread has more info. If you're near needing the timing belt replaced, now is the time to do it all, along with the water pump, tensioner, and all seals/gaskets.

The ex owner a member on this board changed the TB and WP at about 103k miles. Shes at 108 now.

So Acura or seller should have told me about this issue? His sales ad on the boards said no leaks at all.

How much will this set me back in labor.......sigh. This is very frustrating as I thought the car was in great condition with no leaks...

Besides the pictures of the 2 spots thus far, I can't find oil anywhere in the engine bay.

You'll be hard pressed to see it from above. Drive it up on ramps and crawl under there with a flashlight. It'll run down the block.

From the pics, I can make a couple guesses, but that is all they would be.
1. oil pan looks a little grimy around the bolts, but that could be coming in from above. Also the gasket looks pushed out a little far. Might need looked at but tough to say without better pics. Its probably OK, but even if not it is low dollar low effort to fix.
2. Oil is definitely coming from somewhere up there. It looks like a fair bit of it too. Tough to say where or how much because it is all so grimy. Just to give you some flavor:
- VTEC solenoid gaskets are cheap and easy to fix. Also, because it is high pressure oil you can lose more oil here if they are bad.
- Cam plugs are a PITA to replace. This won't be cheap. The good news is they generally just weep. Unless they have been messed with, I seriously doubt it would hurt much to leave them in.
- Valve cover gaskets can leak this much oil fairly easily. Judging by the amount of hondabond I can see(EDIT and the fact hat it has had a TB/WP change), someone has had them off. Its quite possible they did not get them back on correctly. It can be tough, especially with the rear bank back on with an NA2.

I see 3 roads here :
1. clean it all up in there and see what is going on
2. go ahead and replace the easier stuff (vtec solenoid, valve covers), then clean it as see if that fixes it (i bet it would).
3. drop it off at the mechanic and let them worry about it, preferably NOT whoever did the timing belt

Thanks again guys for all your info and detailed scenarios.

I don't have ramps and I'm still new to the NSX with no owners or repair manual so I'm not to well versed on the car mechanically yet.......Maybe I can find someone in my area near Seattle to help. Zahntech NSX shop is out of town until the end of next week and I had planned to bring her in to do regular maint and install some mods after he comes back.

Just bummed :(

I've left a few messages with the ex owner to get some of his background but no reply yet either.

the Ex owner "Flexer" on the boards from Utah did the timing belt and water pump. Hopefully he will chime in,

You'll be hard pressed to see it from above. Drive it up on ramps and crawl under there with a flashlight. It'll run down the block.

From the pics, I can make a couple guesses, but that is all they would be.
1. oil pan looks a little grimy around the bolts, but that could be coming in from above. Also the gasket looks pushed out a little far. Might need looked at but tough to say without better pics. Its probably OK, but even if not it is low dollar low effort to fix.
2. Oil is definitely coming from somewhere up there. It looks like a fair bit of it too. Tough to say where or how much because it is all so grimy. Just to give you some flavor:
- VTEC solenoid gaskets are cheap and easy to fix. Also, because it is high pressure oil you can lose more oil here if they are bad.
- Cam plugs are a PITA to replace. This won't be cheap. The good news is they generally just weep. Unless they have been messed with, I seriously doubt it would hurt much to leave them in.
- Valve cover gaskets can leak this much oil fairly easily. Judging by the amount of hondabond I can see(EDIT and the fact hat it has had a TB/WP change), someone has had them off. Its quite possible they did not get them back on correctly. It can be tough, especially with the rear bank back on with an NA2.

I see 3 roads here:
2. go ahead and replace the easier stuff (vtec solenoid, valve covers), then clean it as see if that fixes it (i bet it would).
3. drop it off at the mechanic and let them worry about it

Good plan.

They all have little surprises. Don't worry about it. Get it fixed and enjoy the car.

Sorry, I initially missed the part about driving it home. You're right it's probably not as bad as it looks. Pics like that freak me out, but it's a long drive from UT to STL--many hours for the oil to seep out and accumulate outside the engine. I think it's likely that the leak started after the timing belt was replaced, which wasn't long ago. I'm in the exact same boat--did the timing belt a couple k ago, and now my plugs are leaking. I replaced every seal I could think of, but these slipped my mind. :( I'll be going back in as soon as I order the parts. Keep an eye on your oil level and see how the leak does in your normal driving. You're lucky to live near Zahntech.

Sorry, I initially missed the part about driving it home. You're right it's probably not as bad as it looks. Pics like that freak me out, but it's a long drive from UT to STL--many hours for the oil to seep out and accumulate outside the engine. I think it's likely that the leak started after the timing belt was replaced, which wasn't long ago. I'm in the exact same boat--did the timing belt a couple k ago, and now my plugs are leaking. I replaced every seal I could think of, but these slipped my mind. :( I'll be going back in as soon as I order the parts. Keep an eye on your oil level and see how the leak does in your normal driving. You're lucky to live near Zahntech.

Yeh she's scheduled to get the front bumper resprayed on Monday and be out Thursday next week. I'll be carrying some extra motor oil in the trunk :p

It will be interesting to see how much oil loss I get tonight. I'll do a little more checking tonight and also ask if anyone on the boards can help look at her with me Friday or this weekend.

I can only wish that it was some overflow of oil I did when I topped her off last week.........I did spill a little but it was maybe a teaspoon or lil larger that I spilled outside the oil hole.

I'm also going to clean up the garage floor and let her run for awhile and see how much oil accumulates on a clean floor. Will take some pics.

Sure I'll chim in. Its my old car it is only fair.

Car had no leaks after I replaced the rear valve cover. While I did the timing belt and water pump I replaced both valve cover gaskets, all the spark plug gaskets, belt tensioner, and all gaskets on the timing belt cover side. New rear o2 sensors, new EGR, and a few new vacuum hoses.

I was in there with everything apart so I did it. Then I went threw and did a full valve job. Most of the valves were good but what was interesting was #5 valves were the most out of spec. Who knows if that is common but that is what I found. It would make sense that that cylinder would get the most heat, so maybe thats why. All the expanding and contracting on that cylinder would be the highest.

ANWAY SORRY, got off there.

So after that the car had no leaks. My garage floor is SPOTLESS. I stored the car in a friends garage for 2 weeks before sale and it is SPOTLESS. Took the car up to Mike Hale Acura. They have a tech there that is great with NSX's. He has owned a few himself and has always treated the local community well. He found the car had no leaks, and was spotless. It passed on everything on the inspection. Only thing noted was rear tires were getting low on tread. The car is slightly lowered with the Type S springs so as we all know and the new owner Jerry will learn, the NSX will go throw tires faster in the rear than the front.

So now what Jerry? I don't know. I found the NSX very easy to work on and I enjoyed doing it. The motor is very simple and there is a great forum of people here to help you if you get stuck. I would say that it looks like its the rear cam seal there on the back bank. The V-tec solonoid is located right there also isn't it? Anyway it looks to be one of those two things.

DO THIS.....take a rag and clean it up really good down there and then go drive the car. That way when it leaks you will be able to see exactly where it is coming from instead of a blob of oil as it is in. Post some pics. And we will go from there.

J. R.

...I'm also going to clean up the garage floor and let her run for awhile and see how much oil accumulates on a clean floor. Will take some pics.

Just remember that it always looks like more oil than there really is. Oil spreads out very thin when it's blown around under the car. Just make sure to check the oil level frequently and you should be fine until the problem is fixed. I know it's probably difficult to fathom right now, but the car is probably running fine and this is just a little hiccup.

Thank You JR for the data and helping out with the response.

Still an awesome car and I luv her. Just my luck though I get an oil leak after I buy her. Thats life I guess.... :)

Well the good news is that after I cleaned all the visible spots of oil residue underneath, she didn't leak after about 15 minutes of driving. However after driving I could tell there was some oil residue coming back slowly. Maybe many more hours or days and it would be back to where it was this evening. Oil level still seemed same after hot check but tommorow I will do another cold check since that is what I usually always do and should have a good baseline. Will also do a puddle check.

That cam seal is very dirty though and caked with oil residue. I was picking at it with a long zip tie since its at a very hard angle and eventually you could see some parts of the silver bolt lol.

Zahntech is back in one more week or so and I had scheduled for him to take exhaust and header out for aftermarket, tranny fluid, oil change, clutch, etc etc on 4/7/08 as my planned maint so I'm sure he will be able to do a through root cause on where a leak is coming from.

Whatever the symptoms just hope this doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. Exhausted..............after lifting the car many times today driving, lifting, driving, lifting etc again and again to see the oil on the bottom lol. (need to buy some new lifts as mine are archaic lol) Thanks guys for the help again and all the input.

NSX is getting detailed by a pro this Saturday in my garage so that will at least help me get thru the weekend without getting to bummed because of the leak :)

Last edited:
I see 3 roads here :
3. drop it off at the mechanic and let them worry about it, preferably NOT whoever did the timing belt

I agree with these steps. One thing you could try when you are cleaning up the oil - Use Brake cleaner. It cleans it up pretty well and won't do damage to the car. Get the compressed can with a little straw attached to it and clean away.

Back