• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

oil leaking on new NSX :( HELP!!!! PICS

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the oil in the bay. I probably won't mess with the leak too much further until I see Zahntech.

Early this morning, I went out to check for leaks and oil level on a cold engine.

No leaks on floor yet but I have a feeling I'll see some small drops within the next few days but shouldn't be too bad since I'm taking her in on April 6th/7th.

The most driving I will do is going to the paint shop on Monday which is about 8 miles away and than picking her up later in the week. Sunday, April 6I will be driving her to Zahntech who is about 20miles away. So pretty much thats all the driving I will do.

Oil level is pretty much where she was last at when I topped her off about 1 week ago. Middle point between 1st and 2nd circle. So looks like I'm really not losing much oil.

I'll def keep you guys in tuned to whatever the diagnosis will be. Hopefully it is just a small leak and not too serious.

Thanks for the tip on cleaning the oil in the bay. I probably won't mess with the leak too much further until I see Zahntech.

Early this morning, I went out to check for leaks and oil level on a cold engine.

No leaks on floor yet but I have a feeling I'll see some small drops within the next few days but shouldn't be too bad since I'm taking her in on April 6th/7th.

The most driving I will do is going to the paint shop on Monday which is about 8 miles away and than picking her up later in the week. Sunday, April 6I will be driving her to Zahntech who is about 20miles away. So pretty much thats all the driving I will do.

Oil level is pretty much where she was last at when I topped her off about 1 week ago. Middle point between 1st and 2nd circle. So looks like I'm really not losing much oil.

I'll def keep you guys in tuned to whatever the diagnosis will be. Hopefully it is just a small leak and not too serious.

Your changing out the header? Its a 97+. Its got a really good header in it. The science of speed guys show a gain over the 97+ header but it isn't much. Not worth it in my book.

I'll subscribe to this thread to see how it all goes with the oil.

J. R.

If you start at the top of the engine replacing cam plugs and go down from there. Be sure to use a small amount of Honda Bond at each of the corners where the valve cover gasket meets with the cam plug. The sharp corners there are prone for leaking with out the Honda Bond.

When you get all of the leaks stopped on the top of the engine and still have a small leak I would look around the vent in the bottom of the bell housing. Rear main seals are also prone to leaking due to age and heat, especially in Honda/Acura cars with automatic transmissions.

I hate oil leaks, they didn't come from the factory with them, shouldn't have them.
Brad

I'll subscribe to this thread to see how it all goes with the oil.

J. R.

+1 Im going to keep an eye on this thread. In the 8 1/2 years I have had my 92, she has never dripped a single drop of oil on my garage. However I do know she has a leak. She has had it since about a year after I bought her. But it's never been bad enough to drip. I think she drips when I go for drives for the most part and it never seems that much because the oil level stays pretty constant.

Nooblet question though. I will be getting the TB service and new headers installed in a month or so. Would it be a good idea to replace the cam plugs just as a preventive? They are pretty clean, but the car is a 92, not quite sure how long those last....:confused:

Would a recent change from organic to synthetic oil induce some of these leaks?

Would a recent change from organic to synthetic oil induce some of these leaks?

Organic?? You've been eating too many free range chickens. :biggrin:

There usually isn't much of a problem when switching from dino to synthetic oil.

put a UV dye in your oil system.

it pin points the leak quick and easy.

you can get it at NAPA.

Happy motoring

Rob:smile:

I've got 120,000 on my 91 and no oil leaks. I suggest you get your car up on a rack and take some brake cleaner and hose the oily parts down real well. Then gently rinse everything with a stream of water. Once everything is clean it will be easier to notice. Or I guess you can put dye in your motor, but personally the only thing that's going in my motor oil, is motor oil.

It looks like your cam seals need to be replaced.

I agree with the good doctor. The photo you posted shows a lot of crud around the cam seals.

numbnuts said:
Keep in mind, oil leak is normal with our nsx,

Where the hell did you hear that? Charlotte has 206,000 miles on her and doesn't leak a drop of oil or any lubricant. Sometimes I'll spill some Astroglide out the window though but that doesn't count..

The only thing you should see dripping from an NSX is water from the A/C.

+1 No leaks on my car either.

Oil leaks on my NSX cost me many sleepless nights and an empy wallet. After a while it had become a habbit of me to look under the car before i took it for a drive. At the end after a drive smoke was coming out of the engine bay, looks like i was on fire. And the smell was awfull. The previous owner did not like to maintain the car and drove it hard i think and i could pay for it. At the end i had to decide to sell the car:mad:
All i want to say is ask a proffesional what he thinks of your car before you go to spend all your money.

I agree with the good doctor. The photo you posted shows a lot of crud around the cam seals.

Where the hell did you hear that? Charlotte has 206,000 miles on her and doesn't leak a drop of oil or any lubricant. Sometimes I'll spill some Astroglide out the window though but that doesn't count..

The only thing you should see dripping from an NSX is water from the A/C.

Hugh, no need to call name here, What I am saying is that if you drive your car hard, the gaskets will get alot of abuses and eventually you will get oil leak. This does happen with our cars (NSX).

All you need to do is find out the leak and change the gaskets and you are done. I am just trying to let the fellow knows that it is not a serious problem like other cars

A good example is oil leak on Porsches, especially for the 986, 996 and 997 models the problem is usually serious where they have to replace the RMS and still having the oil leak problem.

good choice.

awesome guy to bring your NSX to :smile:

Rob, is that the plate that my NSX is missing? He said he sees cogs / gears if he looks under it... interesting! Its hard to tell exactly what we're looking at w/ the first few pics...

also NO oil leaks on either of my NSX's. My cam plugs and seals were just replaced by Rob as well!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=976035

(pics aren't coming up for some reason tho)

Rob, is that the plate that my NSX is missing? He said he sees cogs / gears if he looks under it... interesting! Its hard to tell exactly what we're looking at w/ the first few pics...

also NO oil leaks on either of my NSX's. My cam plugs and seals were just replaced by Rob as well!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=976035

(pics aren't coming up for some reason tho)

oh thats plate your missing is the flywheel dust cover.

what your seeing when you look under is the flywheel and it has teeth for the starter to grap on to.

thats what your seeing when you look down there. :smile:

Rob

An old racing trick i've used in aviation for years that works the BEST and cheapest I first learned back in the 70s from HRC engineers in the pits at Daytona at the motorbike races is, clean the engine to death and make sure it's DRY!!!. If you have a compressor use a parts drier tip to speed the drying process. Go get some cheap spray foot POWDER. Three or four dollars at Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, etc, etc... Spray the suspected area or areas with the foot powder. Allow it to dry, five minutes or so. It will leave a dry film of white powder. Start the engine to put it under pressure and the leak will jump out at you!!
When your done the powder will rinse off with water.

Cheers
nigel

6 more days until my NSX goes to the shop for a fix on the oil leak! :)

thanks all for the tips again! Good advice everyone :)

I hope this oil leak is brand new (as of 1 week ago) when I take her in to Zahtech. Some of you guys are saying it looks like it could have been leaking for awhile?

If that leak isn't new and has been leaking for awhile I def would have concerns per seller's sales ad and his verbal description/statement about oil leaks along with the NSX dealer in Utah who I had bad experiance PPI with, so I should have more data hopefully by the 7th or 8th of April.

Last edited:
Hi guys/gals. I really didn’t want to post something like this but my NSX engine could have blown at any time and I was very very lucky it didn’t….It was a ticking time bomb.

I thank god that it didn’t. JR has not been willing to help with any of this from his horrible install.

Hope these pictures speak for themselves………….details are below.

imgp0209br8.jpg

imgp0212gd2.jpg

The ex owner “JR” James Crosby aka screen name is “Flexer" who lives in Provo Utah did the NSX timing belt and water pump about exactly a year ago at around 104xxx miles. I bought her at around 107k miles in early March this year.

As soon as I drove her home to WA from Utah (800miles) I park her for a few days and I notice a nice oil leak. I take her to an NSX shop Zahntech (Mastertechs) and we discover it has 3 oil leaks (Cam Seals, Front Crank Seal, Rear Cam Plug)

As Zahntech is fixing all the oil leaks he discovers something very scary. The timing belt install is horrible I mean horrible condition…………The engine could have blown at any moment. I was driving through the woods of Utah, Idaho, eastern Oregon and WA with no cars and cell phone service for miles. If the timing belt snapped than….I’ve also shown these pictures to a NSX mechanics and shops on prime and they agreed it looked like a horrible install.

You guys know how expensive the NSX engine is? Upwards of $20- $30k for engine alone I’ve read.

This goes 100% against what JR said. He said he did the timing belt perfectly and did every step per the manual. He also said that it is not that hard of a task if you know the basics. Well the facts and pictures speak for themselves…..When I showed JR the pictures, he said he was shocked and agreed it looked horrible. He actually urged that I post these on the forums as he said he deserved this.

Than he backed up the next day and said that a bolt head sheared in the picture which caused all the damage and all these issues are a normal wear and tire item for a NSX at over 100k miles. Actually JR you are wrong. Zahntech who did the work and took the picture shows the cast portion broken off, not a bolt tensioner. The whole install was horrible not just this issue and picture. (Keep reading below) JR than tried to make fun of the NSX shop and saying they don't know what they are talking about.

Zahntech is a very very well respected shop in the Seattle Community especially on NSX’s.

Here is what Zahntech found……..

1. New timing belt had holes in it
2. Timing belt has no tension
3. Tensioner is rubbing on pulley
4. Idler is rubbing on pulley
5. Oil pump cast piece broke off and is rubbing on pulley
6. Missing Fasteners/Screws on timing and valve cover
7. Timing cam is not on correct tooth.

I have asked him for help several times on email, text and phone. He says he is broke and strapped for cash since he is buying a new house. I actually sent him a wire and cashiers check in the $30s just a few weeks ago……….I’m not sure if he realizes that I would have been out $20-30k just for the engine only if it blew…..

Well here are the facts and pictures and hopefully they speak for themselves. I don’t want to judge anyone so let this speak for itself. I’m not sure what else I can do at this point as I’m now stuck with the cost but will be back to mint after all the repairs.

Please note that I also took the car to the Mike Hale Acura for a PPI who missed all these issues and many other minor ones. I’ve already tried calling and writing a letter to their President and also all their managers. The response on the phone was that they only do a basic inspection and they are not perfect.

Thank you for taking your time for reading this. Also thank you to Zahntech for helping to find all these issues before the engine blew and thank you to NSX prime its owners and mechanics for helping me with data, encouragement and advice also.

Last edited:
It is really too bad that you have had all of the problems you have had considering that it was not supposed to have these problems due to recent maintenance. The oil leaks look like they have been there for some time by the evidence of all of the residue.

As far as the mechanic missing the problems with the timing belt on the PPI, I am sorry you are wrong. You don't get a timing belt inspection on a PPI. That would be like saying that they missed seeing a bad syncro on 2nd gear. If you would have found a torn, leaking boot on a CV joint you would have had a leg to stand on, not the timing belt problems. Did you look and see what had to be removed to get to the timing belt? How much time did they charge you for the PPI? Probably not 5 hours!

Again it is unfortunate these things happened,
Brad

Sure Glad I stayed away from this car!!! NSXKnight good luck!

thank you NSX24. She will be out of the shop this Friday back to mint along with lots of other maint items I asked Zahntech to do. I'm just very glad we caught this issue just in time.

Sure Glad I stayed away from this car!!! NSXKnight good luck!

Back