• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Pressure Gauge Needle

My oil pressure gauge needle in my '91 seems to be stuck in one position. As far as I know, the oil pressure indicator should vary with engine speed, etc. Anyone know what may be the likely culprit?

it is easy to test. The sender and connector is above the oil filter. Pull the right rear wheel and you can do some simple tests---alternately grounding the sensor wire and/or unplugging will cause the gauge to go from one extreme to the other. Which will tell you if your wiring and gauge is good.

If so: changing the sender is easy.

If not: you will have to track down the wiring and see if there are shorts or opens....or "high resistance shorts" (aka dirt/grime).

Drew

drew said:
it is easy to test. The sender and connector is above the oil filter. Pull the right rear wheel and you can do some simple tests---alternately grounding the sensor wire and/or unplugging will cause the gauge to go from one extreme to the other. Which will tell you if your wiring and gauge is good.

If so: changing the sender is easy.

If not: you will have to track down the wiring and see if there are shorts or opens....or "high resistance shorts" (aka dirt/grime).

Drew

er....... thats the low pressure switch, aka, 'idiot light'.
This device triggers the red oil-light, not the needle.
The oilpressuresender is located on the left side of the engine (looking from the rear), mounted on the side of the engine, below the coolantank, under the vtec-solenoid. Has 1 blue wire, is a big round thing.

Mich

Arg, my mistake. Dutch is correct....

Please X-Q's.

The test procedure is should be the same. Figuring out the problem should be easy, figuring out WHERE the actual problem is can be a bit tricky and time consuming.

Drew

/sticking back to my day job...

Thanks guys! I don't know if this additional info helps, but even with the engine off the pressure gauge needle stays at "4". Don't know if this would help narrow the root cause to a sender problem or electrical short...

brilchu said:
Thanks guys! I don't know if this additional info helps, but even with the engine off the pressure gauge needle stays at "4". Don't know if this would help narrow the root cause to a sender problem or electrical short...
If the needle doesn't move at all, i.e., engine off or on, then you probably have a stuck (literally) guage.

Back