• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil Pressure help

Hey guys,

My car's oil pressure is extremely speratic and never consistent. Keeping my speed/RPM in the same range, sometimes my oil pressure will be at 4 and other times at the same spd/rpm it will be at 7 (outside temp similiar). My oil pump was replaced, so I am not sure if it was running right before and not now or vice versa. Tonight I was at 3,000RPM (52*F outside) and my oil pressure was at 7.

I always thought under normal, consistent speed you should be around 4 and as your speed increases, your oil pressure will also increase.

Typical NSX behaviour.
Not as often mentioned as the low pressure@redline, but one of those things.
Don't worry.

Search the forums for more info.

The oil pressure sending unit on the NSX is wonky. The main culprit is that it is attached to the head. The vibrations of the engine cause it to be off. Some people are trying to re-locate the unit off of the engine to settle down the gauge (titanium dave comes to mind).

Buy an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. It's a GREAT investment, especially if you track your car or drive 'spiritedly" on the street.

Just worries me because I have had the car for 5 years and never had a problem with it until the last yr. I never noticed the oil pressure being as high before.

I changed the oil last night, drove 100 miles today and never had an issue.

My dealer says its a known problem even with a service bullitin out on it. Factory wont cover the fix but they know all about it. If my memory is correct its the sending unit.

thanks for the help guys

Ill have to look into that unit bc mine is still messing up. I know over the yrs everyone has always mentioned the nsx oem oil gauge is not accurate I just never paid much attention since my first 4 yrs of ownership I never saw it. Now 5th yr and bam...

this same problem exists for the 300zx(z32) and other cars as well. hell at least nsx gets any reading at all! imagine the scare you get with the 300zx when you suddenly get ZERO pressure reading! i hope people realize some of the quirks with the nsx are really not specific to the nsx but are actually seen on other makes/models. just wanted to throw that out there ...

this same problem exists for the 300zx(z32) and other cars as well. hell at least nsx gets any reading at all! imagine the scare you get with the 300zx when you suddenly get ZERO pressure reading! i hope people realize some of the quirks with the nsx are really not specific to the nsx but are actually seen on other makes/models. just wanted to throw that out there ...

imagine the scare you get with the NSX on the track as you are approaching 8k on the front straight when you suddenly see the needle falling to ZERO! :tongue:

This is a common problem seen on NSXs when in extended Vtec. My gauge read fine all other times, but consistently at the end of the straight at the top of 4th gear ~ 120 mph it would drop to zero. As soon as you lifted to break, shot right back up. I replaced my oil pressure sending unit and it went away - for now. :cool:

The problem is where to put an aftermarket gauge in the NSX without ricing it all up? A pillar looks stupid, center dash - still OEM radio, etc, etc.

Thinking about the SPA dual in one gauge - oil temp/oil pressure.

As i said in my earlier post.

There are two things being confused here. The OP is not talking about the low pressure at redline.

imagine the scare you get with the NSX on the track as you are approaching 8k on the front straight when you suddenly see the needle falling to ZERO! :tongue:

right, now imagine that same scenario but with the needle STAYING at ZERO. like i said, at least nsx gets any reading at all. on the 300zx you get underneath the car and tap the oil filter with a screwdriver or something to get it unstuck. but the first time it happens, to the naive/unaware, some people end up towing their car home from the track 100miles for nothing.

Hey guys,

My car's oil pressure is extremely speratic and never consistent. Keeping my speed/RPM in the same range, sometimes my oil pressure will be at 4 and other times at the same spd/rpm it will be at 7 (outside temp similiar). My oil pump was replaced, so I am not sure if it was running right before and not now or vice versa. Tonight I was at 3,000RPM (52*F outside) and my oil pressure was at 7.

I always thought under normal, consistent speed you should be around 4 and as your speed increases, your oil pressure will also increase.

bump

Back