• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Once in a Lifetime Experience NSX-R GT v. Factor X Racing NSX

One word can sum up yesterday’s experience. WOW. A few weeks ago we were approached by Zig Zag Asia (Best Motoring) to participate in an upcoming shoot. As usual we are always up for a new challenge so we enthusiastically responded with a resounding yes. As details of the shoot started to materialize, we heard that we would be matched up against the Spoon NSX-R. Obviously, we were excited as many view the Japanese tuners the “best” tuners. Upon arrival we were shocked to find out that the Spoon NSX-R is in fact the NSX-R GT! In addition, the Mine’s R35 GTR was also there. Everyone here probably knows more details but the NSX-R GT is one of five made and runs about $476,000. This one was owned by owner of Spoon who also attended the shoot. The car was amazing to see, mostly due to its rarity and the hefty price tag associated. It was a single turbo making about 400rwhp.

As our car is undergoing more modifications, we basically stopped the process and put the old set-up back in with a new proto motor so we can participate in this once in a lifetime event. The NSX-R GT looked very smooth and balanced out on the track clocking a 1:25xx. (Billy can comment on this as he also drove it, I respectfully declined the offer out of fear.) The Mine’s R35 also clocked a 1:25xx which was also very impressive. So head to head it was pretty much even! It was good to see an older tech car with less hp and RWD be able to hang with today’s new AWD Japanese Super Car.

During our practice session (3 laps) we encountered a few issues on the car including some suspension set-up issues and a transmission that would not shift into 3rd. During the break we were able to sort out the suspension (Thx Steve@Mworkz) a bit and we found a way to make the trans at least get into third. On our two competition laps we clocked a 1:25xx with a new driver that has never driven the car before . This was by no means a good time for our car and was at no fault of the driver. We were plagued with the issues mentioned and really did not have the time to address them for our new driver’s call time. After the interviews Taro was kind enough to let us work on the car a bit and later in the afternoon Billy was able to run a 1:22xx, all while still not being able to shift correctly. With a few more tweaks we probably could have dropped a few more seconds.

For those interested the videos will be shown on gtchannel.com in the near future, its definitely worth watching as it compares the stock NA2 to the Spoon NSX-R GT to the Factor X Racing Unlimited NSX. Thank you Taro and crew at Zig Zag Asia! In the meanwhile here are some pics.

IMG_1856.JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

IMG_19311.JPG

IMG_1943.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_19951.JPG

Thats a great day you had, even though you had some bugs to work out. Thanks for sharing pics. Those are some fantastic cars.

So is that a true factory gt-r that was then further modified by spoon with a turbo? Was anything else modded on that car? nice to see you guys having fun and getting noticed.

So is that a true factory gt-r that was then further modified by spoon with a turbo? Was anything else modded on that car? nice to see you guys having fun and getting noticed.

From what we were told and understand yes, it is one of the five. I believe it was further modified by Spoon, not sure though as they mentioned the others were (2) 3.5L NA, (2) Turbo, and (1) SC??? In regards to other mods, I believe brakes, suspension,etc. The episode should cover all that.

From what we were told and understand yes, it is one of the five. I believe it was further modified by Spoon, not sure though as they mentioned the others were (2) 3.5L NA, (2) Turbo, and (1) SC??? In regards to other mods, I believe brakes, suspension,etc. The episode should cover all that.

For a $476,000 sticker it better be scram-jet powered or come with some fast little Asian that delivers winning laps while you eat ice cream. :eek:

For a $476,000 sticker it better be scram-jet powered or come with some fast little Asian that delivers winning laps while you eat ice cream. :eek:

An inflatable Takuma:tongue:

What an awesome experience you guys had - congrats! I don't blame you for not wanting to drive it...although I would've ham fisted and track whored that dandy all around the course.

So of the 5 NSX-R GTs: 2 were stroked, two turbo'd, and 1 supercharged. I'm pleasantly surprised those things were modified at all much more to that extent.

You know, I hate to do this, but are we really sure this is a "real" NSX-R GT? Check out the Spoon NSX-R caught here a month ago...

http://www.route-ks.com/hotnews/0807/01_vtec.html

The color matching of the rear bumper is suspiciously off and the valance part does not really match the picture shown here.

nsxrgt05_03.jpg

I suspect they just got the route-ks nsx-rgt body kit.... but whatever. I might be wrong.

Skeptics!

If we NSXers can't we believe it is real, it won't matter if it is or not. And without a real successor to the NSX coming, I need something to believe in! :eek:

This BS again? Some tool is actually stupid enough to claim his NSX-R GT is real? Worse yet, the magazine tested it without any proof that it is the real deal?

The side vents on the fake car are NOT rounded at the back away from the gas cover, and dont extend as far back toward the rear wheel well.

Most likely a viral marketing campaign by the owner of Spoon to boost interest in his NSX-R for the US market conversions.

REAL
attachment.php

FAKE
attachment.php

REAL
attachment.php

Attachments

• venta.jpg
    venta.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4,034
  • ventb.jpg
    ventb.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 4,009
  • ventc.jpg
    ventc.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 4,026
Nice story. Great pictures. Awesome cars!

And I have a new found respect for Cricket Wireless... :biggrin:

I had to send my buddy these pictures, as he works for Cricket. :wink:

As mentioned, we are going with what we were told. I am not an expert in regards to the NSX-R GT so I am not at liberty to make that call if it is real or not. I think others took more detailed pics of the car and serial numbers, vins, etc. Maybe you all will be able to break the code. Either way it was a whole lot of fun for us:)

WISH I WAS THERE!!! Streets of willow, IMO, is one of the best tracks in socal. Whether or not it was a real NSX-R GT, just have fun out there and enjoy what you have. Glad you had fun.

Real or Fake who really cares. Who here has actually TOUCHED, SEEN, OR DRIVEN a real bonified NSX RGT?

As a matter of fact, how are we to be sure YOUR nsx is real? Sure you're not trying to pass off a fiero with fiberglass as your nsx? lol

ANYHOW..... Way cool!

Last edited:
I would think maybe that's one of the 5 Spoon nsx?? As after many years since Phase, Spoon finally come back and touch the nsx. I also don't believe this is the nsx RGT as the side skirt is missing.

It also had the same wheels on the spoon nsx in that routeKS site.

I would think maybe that's one of the 5 Spoon nsx?? As after many years since Phase, Spoon finally come back and touch the nsx. I also don't believe this is the nsx RGT as the side skirt is missing.

It also had the same wheels on the spoon nsx in that routeKS site.

Someone made mention of the skirts and body pieces. The owner said that they had to remove alot of the panels and bumpers to load it on the container, clearance issues?

That was cool. I was suprised to see that Honda had their own NSX there (LBB car). I am assuming that car was stock ....right ? What was Honda doing there ?

That was cool. I was suprised to see that Honda had their own NSX there (LBB car). I am assuming that car was stock ....right ? What was Honda doing there ?

Wondering the same thing, can we get a vin and some details on that puppy? Ben?:biggrin:

Looks like a sick time, no afterparty?

Back