• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions on NSX market values

Two now ;)

I actually think both look quite nice, but from a 90's supercar collect ability standpoint popups will be a strong factor.
While there are 2,886 US model 1991s, that is still a very small number in collector terms and the number that haven't been chopped up, abused and simply driven is very rare. The 2002+ vehicles in general have remained fairly pristine due to their high price tag (relatively) and limited numbers. So the number of "Condition 1" collector type 1991s probably won't lag that far behind the number of pristine 2002+ models even though only 825 US model of them.

The 98 you are referring to is slightly different as it didn't start life as a fixed light version and get switched to a pop-up. It just got put back the way it was more or less.

Another factor helping the 00-01 models are the updated ABS system.

I don't know where the market will go, but nobody does, these are just guesses, however, this is where I would spend MY money from most to least (excluding Zanardi)

01 coupe (only 1 Grand Prix white/tan made according to this: http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers)
97-00 coupe (4,5,4,5 made respectively)
02-05
97-01
92-96

all manual of course.

P.S: who owns that 1 2001 GPW coupe? Are they on here? I want your car!

Re: parts availability

With 3d scanning and printing becoming more advanced and more affordable every day I think we'll be fine ;)

Lol! I couldn't afford the frog eyes. But even if I could, I'd rather have the sleek look of the early model.Never will you see my car with an 02 conversion kit.
Just like it's funny all frog eye owners think theirs look better. Look is subjective if you have not known that already. Both look good in their own ways. I believe one frog eye owner posted a while ago that popup owners bought their cars because we can't afford the 02-05s. lol. Yeah sure.

Re: parts availability

With 3d scanning and printing becoming more advanced and more affordable every day I think we'll be fine ;)

thats a good point, and perhaps the only way to duplicate discontinued parts for all the antique vehicles when cars start driving themselves and only "car guys" will be left to care for old classics.

Even though there are a lot of 91s out there, I think that long term, for standard models, very low mileage 91s will win out. Followed by frogeye 02-05, then 97-01.

I don't think the Autos command a $1-3k price tag drop, it seems to be a lot more than that. Oddly though there don't seem to be so many for sale this winter. Last year it seemed there were a load out there that just sat and sat.

I run a daily national craigslist search for NSX cars and parts and the difference is startling compared to last year - entry level this winter is a good $5k higher than last year IMHO. Not sure sure about the top end. This is butt dyno, haven't done scientific research as blacktop99 has done.

As for parts, 3D printing is great but how are you going to print the main relay, AC compressor, cylinder head etc? There are already several discontinued parts out there. Maybe we need a thread to track what they are for future reference?

As for parts, 3D printing is great but how are you going to print the main relay, AC compressor, cylinder head etc? There are already several discontinued parts out there. Maybe we need a thread to track what they are for future reference?
That was regards interior bits someone mentioned. Sure it won't help with everything. And that's why I have spare parts bin. AC compressor is interchangeable and not a big deal at all. Heads - sure. I think it's great idea to have a list of discontinued parts.

I don't think the Autos command a $1-3k price tag drop, it seems to be a lot more than that. Oddly though there don't seem to be so many for sale this winter. Last year it seemed there were a load out there that just sat and sat.

I run a daily national craigslist search for NSX cars and parts and the difference is startling compared to last year - entry level this winter is a good $5k higher than last year IMHO. Not sure sure about the top end. This is butt dyno, haven't done scientific research as blacktop99 has done.

I wouldn't exactly call my work scientific caliber, it was just the output of having over a year of searching for my car compiled in a tidy spreadsheet. I still keep it current, though I'm not hounding people for info the way I was 6 months ago now that I'm out of the market. To the extent that info is useful, I'm happy to share the insight with other Prime members (buyers & sellers).

No bias here from the 97-2001 guys. haha :tongue::tongue::tongue:

My opinion- GENERALLY SPEAKING... the newer the car, the higher the value. Zanardi aside, I don't see any 97-2001 cars going for MORE than a 2002+ (with similar miles).

Actually I agree with Synth on this. My previous post was not well phrased. What I meant was that I thought the 97-01 cars were appreciating a little quicker than older or newer models and that they represented a hump in the age/price curve. I think the newest models will command the highest prices (given similar condition and mileage) for some time. I'm basing that on Mercedes R107 SL prices. The late model SL560 (1986-89) command significantly higher prices than earlier SL's (350SL, 450SL, 280SL etc) sold from 1971 to 1985. SL's are more common than NSXs but I think they are also in higher demand as they combine low cost of entry with an originally prestige product and vintage status. So I think the SL market might provide a useful model for future NSX pricing trends. You can see similar trends with Porsche 928s, with newest, highest output models commanding the strongest prices. I think the NSX will trend more like these types of cars than air cooled 911s or Ferraris, both of which are sort of in a different class from most classics when it comes to pricing behavior.

Of course the older "pagoda" SL's are going for stupid money now but I don't see most NSXs getting into that mode for a few years yet.

I also was not very clear when I speculated that fewer than 7,000 NSXs remain on the road, I was specifically talking about Acura NSX's sold in North America.

Last edited:
"The late model SL560 (1986-89) command significantly higher prices than earlier SL's (350SL, 450SL, 280SL etc) sold from 1971 to 1985. SL's are more common than NSXs but I think they are also in higher demand as they combine low cost of entry with an originally prestige product and vintage status. So I think the SL market might provide a useful model for future NSX pricing trend"

True tof, i inherited from my dad original owner he bought new back in the late 80's, a very mint 89 560sl last year of the classic bodies in pristine low mile conditions, I have notice the prices has increased dramatically lately, IMHO an original stock low miles first year production will be very sought after by collectors down the road, just like any rare car, the first year car will fidge a premium, I don't see Nsx prices coming down or leveling off anytime soon, it will continue to climb from here.

imagepng

Last edited:
One thing that could hold 91 pricing back compared to other years is the production volume. But personally, I like the fact that I own a "year one" version of this great car.

The bottomline is that only time will tell what happens. The argument that collectors will prefer the pop-up with the 3.2 is purely speculation. Unlike Porsche, I have never seen a public outcry and mass suicides over those funky 996 headlights. With the NSX, you see people converting to the 2002 look and some (like myself) feel the 2002 look gives the nsx a fresh modern feel. It's been 10 years since the last NSX, and I have still not seen 97-2001's asking for more than a 2002.

There is normally a tipping point where middle aged cars are upgraded/updated/refreshed by enthusiasts but then returned (at great expense) to "original" for collectors.

I'm old enough to actually be living through this with the mid-70s deTomaso Pantera. So, if my calculations are correct, we have about 20 more years before the cycle comes around for the mid-90s NSX

Last edited:
Well said, Tom. I was thinking the same thing. When the NSX is obviously too old to look fresh and modern because it lacks lasers or wings or flux capacitors or whatever, by then no one will be "updating" to the '02 look. But I figure that's way too far off for us to worry about any time soon. One thing's for sure. Imolas will never go out of style. ;)

I have a 14k mile unmolested 1991 Silver NSX (Manual) that I bought. I paid 55k for it in the end. It was valued at almost 60k by Classic Auto Appraiser who appraises classic cars for many famous shops and some famous auction houses.

My opinion, whatever its worth - After another 10-15 years pass, the 1991-1994 Coupes will be looked upon fondly since its the first version of the NSX. That's why I chose to buy that one and not other ones.

It's all speculation now.. but I agree that as parts are harder to come buy - the ones that require little to no work (and as a prerequisite almost - ones with low miles) will get very high prices.

I have a 14k mile unmolested 1991 Silver NSX (Manual) that I bought. I paid 55k for it in the end. It was valued at almost 60k by Classic Auto Appraiser who appraises classic cars for many famous shops and some famous auction houses.

My opinion, whatever its worth - After another 10-15 years pass, the 1991-1994 Coupes will be looked upon fondly since its the first version of the NSX. That's why I chose to buy that one and not other ones.

It's all speculation now.. but I agree that as parts are harder to come buy - the ones that require little to no work (and as a prerequisite almost - ones with low miles) will get very high prices.

I agree with you. The first gen '91-'94 should be more collectable. Other than the Zanardi, only the pre ’94 have manual steering. ’95 and ’96 is over weighted with reinforcements. Coupes are rare after ’94. Since ’91-’94 seems to be less desirable to some folks; May be this is the time to pick them up.

BTW, if your’91 still have the original wheels you might want to remove them and keep them stored. Replace them with the ’94 spec size ones. Reset the wheel alignment to ’94 spec. ’91-’93 eat rear tires really fast.

Last edited:
I agree with you. The first gen '91-'94 should be more collectable. Other than the Zanardi, only the pre ’94 have manual steering. ’95 and ’96 is over weighted with reinforcements. Coupes are rare after ’94. Since ’91-’94 seems to be less desirable to some folks; May be this is the time to pick them up.

BTW, if your’91 still have the original wheels you might want to remove them and keep them stored. Replace them with the ’94 spec size ones. Reset the wheel alignment to ’94 spec. ’91-’93 eat rear tires really fast.

Thanks for the advice. I may do that. 94+ wheels do look better.

Reset the wheel alignment to ’94 spec. ’91-’93 eat rear tires really fast.

Honda changed the alignment specs to ease tire wear in 93 not 94.
I think regardless of the wheels used pretty much everyone changed to 93 alignment specs for a street set-up a long time ago.

Eventually, 91-01 will be sought as the same and 02-05 will be sought a little less.

Not much after from there, they will both be equal in value. Only a matter of time....

Honda changed the alignment specs to ease tire wear in 93 not 94.
I think regardless of the wheels used pretty much everyone changed to 93 alignment specs for a street set-up a long time ago.

I was under the impression that ’94 change the alignment specs as ’94 change the wheels to 16” front and 17” back. The reason I know is my bud had a ’93 (I think) and we compared the handbooks. The wheels and setting were different. I think his was a ’93 but I could be wrong. I remember he swapped the original wheels with aftermarket ones. Went with the 16”-17” instead of the 15”-16” and set the alignment to ’94 specs. Before that, he was getting about 5000 miles on his rears.

BTW. I notice that you have a '91 and you probably know this better than I do. Either way, resetting the alignment is probably the right thing to do.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that ’94 change the alignment specs as ’94 change the wheels to 16” front and 17” back. The reason I know is my bud had a ’93 (I think) and we compared the handbooks. The wheels and setting were different. I think his was a ’93 but I could be wrong. I remember he swapped the original wheels with aftermarket ones. Went with the 16”-17” instead of the 15”-16” and set the alignment to ’94 specs. Before that, he was getting about 5000 miles on his rears.

BTW. I notice that you have a '91 and you probably know this better than I do. Either way, resetting the alignment is probably the right thing to do.

I think the alignment specs are covered here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/nsx-faq/tires-and-wheels/alignment/
Are you also an original owner?

I just started to do some research to buy NSX after years of "forgetting" about this car. Price has gone up. So did E30 M3 in the last few years and my buddy just got a pristine untouched low milage one for a good chunk of money.

After doing some research, I am interested in 97-2000 (pre face lift)... If you guys can find a west coast - CA one, please let me know.

But going back to the topic, later models are in the range of 4x-6x k depending on milage and history....

After looking through the last few pages of for sale posts it looks like cars are not selling as quickly as they were last year.

Also, just a quick look through the last year or more of ebay threads makes it seem like cars are not selling (unsold) and there are many, many relistings for the same cars. Now...maybe they are getting sold outside of ebay...who knows.

However, looking through a lot of Porsche-related forum for sale posts, I have noticed (anecdotally) a larger percentage of cars getting sold. I wonder if all of the media hype for the NSX collect-ability, the somewhat majority disappointment in the new NSX, and the hot collector car market in general are fueling higher listing prices...yet without the timely sales expected? After all, with Porsche we do know for a fact that all non-GT models are going turbo very soon and that could be driving the NA Porsche market.

Back