• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions on NSX market values

pmauney, if you are actually considering selling your NSX, I would try to get together with a local experienced "car guy" type NSX owner to go over the car and help evaluate what might need doing. This will help you set a price. Then I would list it here. You will get a fair price for the car, which might not be the case at the local "Cars 'R' Us" dealership or on Autotrader. Also you will know that the car is probably going to a good home.

So you must live someplace like NYC if the car was your main car and you only put 600 miles on it in 7 years.

In the last month, as the weather gets warmer, there have been quite a few pop up for sale. It seems like at least half of them are at dealers and almost all are over 60k no matter the year.

.....Checks spreadsheet

Sound right to me. Both parties should be happy with that price.

Congrats to the new owner!

- - - Updated - - -

There is a HUGE value difference between an average mileage car (40-60K) and one with less than 15K. The latter gets a big value bump for rarity. Low mileage 91s don't come along very often after all. To me, 55 is the upper end of the price range for a 91 Sebring even with the low mileage, but I don't think the price is unreasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

Strangely, only one new message in my in box today. That for an intake manifold cover I have for sale.

For now, my car is safe from sales temptation as long as I am looking in the mid 30s.

As it was pointed out in another thread, THIS CAR just sold for $38K. If you want to sell yours for $35K, so be it, but you are too low......

As it was pointed out in another thread, THIS CAR just sold for $38K. If you want to sell yours for $35K, so be it, but you are too low......

Well, it is a 93...couple years newer. And from a dealer. The respray probably adds a couple grand. It would cost me 6-8 for a proper respray down here. But mine includes a spare OEM clutch. So, hmmm. Maybe I am a bit low.

Car is relisted on eBay - so no sale: 1994 on eBay

- - - Updated - - -

Adding some thought to this thread, consider this vehicle:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/cto/4995111315.html

[h=2]NISSAN R34 GTR V-SPEC FOR SALE - $150000[/h]1999 NISSAN R34 GTR V SPEC, 29,988 ORIGINAL MILES NOT A GTT OR PUT TOGETHER,
ORIGINAL RB26 TWIN TURBO, IMMACULATE CONDITION, CAR WAS SITTING IN A VAULT SINCE 2007 UNTOUCHED/UNMOLESTED NEVER RACED OR ABUSED STOCK ENGINE AND BODY ALL ORIGINAL MINUS APEX EXAUST. SERIOUS INQUIRES ONLY!!!! CAR IS 49 STATE LEGAL CAR HAS CLEAR TITLE AND CAN BE REGISTERED AND INSURED ANYWHERE IN THE US MINUS CALIFORNIA. (BECAUSE EMISSIONS) CAR WAS NOT RE-ASSEMBLED OR CONSTRUCTED CAR WAS SHIPPED FROM JAPAN LEGALLY IN ONE PIECE. AGAIN SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY CAR IS A 6 FIGURE CAR DO NOT CALL UNLESS YOU PLAN ON BUYING A REAL LEGAL LEGEND. I AM NOT A DEALER PRIVATE SALE VIEWING CAN BE ARRANGED. show contact info OR show contact info
TAKING OFFERS BUT PLEASE BE SERIOUS Asking $150,000

That is a lot of cash....

Tof, no i live in north carolina but i got married and started having kids and the car has been covered up in my garage basically for the last 10 or so years. i bring it out to wash and and detail it and drive it around for a bit but then cover it back up and park it. i really am not doing the car justice as an owner.

Tof, no i live in north carolina but i got married and started having kids and the car has been covered up in my garage basically for the last 10 or so years. i bring it out to wash and and detail it and drive it around for a bit but then cover it back up and park it. i really am not doing the car justice as an owner.

Where in NC? There are a lot of NSX owners in NC and some who would likely consider picking up a second if the price is right.

i just heard back from a friend of mine who is looking at the car and said my transmission number is #1004047
he said it does fall within snap ring territory that is called out by Honda.
he noted, --It does not really act like it has that problem by the characteristics of the shift gate, and some of the transmissions that fall within those ranges do not have a problem.

does anyone here know anything about this??

- - - Updated - - -

i just heard back from a friend of mine who is looking at the car and said my transmission number is #1004047
he noted, --It does not really act like it has that problem by the characteristics of the shift gate, and some of the transmissions that fall within those ranges do not have a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

right outside of charlotte

- - - Updated - - -

sorry learning how to do this message board thing. i live right outside of charlotte.

- - - Updated - - -

My transmission was in the snap ring range, the snap ring failed 9 years ago at 72 k miles, and I had the transmission case replaced by Honda.
I'd say if the transmission has over 90 K miles on it, it's not going to fail regardless of the transmission number.

My transmission was in the snap ring range, the snap ring failed 9 years ago at 72 k miles, and I had the transmission case replaced by Honda.
I'd say if the transmission has over 90 K miles on it, it's not going to fail regardless of the transmission number.

ok. should that hurt the value of the car

- - - Updated - - -

here is what a friend of mine says needs done:

Rear hatch struts ( replace)
Rear engine cover struts (replace)
Engine oil/ filter
Transmission fluid
Plugs
Air filter
Rear engine cover lid is sun Baked and crumbling but there are some out there for sale.
Clutch seems ok for now. Has some chatter in it and definitely in its last stages of life.
Front bumper repaint
Rear spoiler repaint
Tires x 4 ( all are flat spotted)
Possibly right rear wheel bearing (but may just be bad tires )
Engine coolant flush needed badly.
Also there are a couple of front bay and engine bay pieces that are not aluminum so they have rusted quite a bit. These can be taken off and bead blasted and powder coated to look nice.

Window motors I'd leave alone although very slow. ( common problem)

Rear tail lights hold water but that's just a top seal issue.

I think to get it back in good shape would take about $8000.
At that point, the radio would still be an issue, and maybe we can get the seat recovered to original. There's a group that can redo that radio and rebuild it to factory standards also.
I can do all the struts for the hatches myself. I'll have the rest of the work done locally except for the clutch and timing belt, which I will source out an experienced shop.

im torn between selling him half of the car for 10k and we split the cost of getting the car back up to top shelf shape or just selling it as is. thoughts

im torn between selling him half of the car for 10k and we split the cost of getting the car back up to top shelf shape or just selling it as is. thoughts

I can't imagine a 1/2 ownership deal every really working out. I would either own the car or not, but not some 1/2 way point.

Your list doesn't sound out of line for an older car that needs a little TLC and a $5000-$8000 bill for NSX repairs isn't that unusual. If you are unsure of the price, put it on the open market and give your friend first right of refusal. That will give you a "market price" to gauge from. You could then take whatever serious offer you get and drop it by 10% for your friend. My crystal ball says that you will get an offer in the 30's, which could translate to high 20s for your friend. If he doesn't want it, then whoever made the most solid offer gets it. As mentioned, there is a strong NSX group in N.Carolina. In fact, they are meeting up shortly - NSX Meet May 15-17

Last edited:
^ +1
1/2 ownership = 100% of the responsibility (to always ensure everything is up to snuff) but only 50% of the enjoyment. That's just not a good return on your time, money, and mental energy. Plus, it could be a good way to make a 50% friend.

That one was for sale 'locally' for 28.5K for months with no buyers, that should tell you something. Plus, if I remember correctly, the instrument cluster had been swapped out from a 91 and wasnt original to the car.

Determining market value via ebay listings isnt a good idea. They will sell, then a few days or weeks later the seller ends up re-listing them. I have been following the auctions for a long time. Check out completed listings. Compare the prices of the ones that actually sell and arent relisted, to the ones that sell and are relisted.

The earlier models are selling on ebay for low-to-mid 30's, with a few lower-mileage cars going into the upper 30's and low-to-mid 40's. Of course there is the occasional dealership posting a low mileage car for some insane Buy-It-Now amount. They never sell, and I think its actually a pretty creative marketing tool to drive attention to the vehicle, as well as weed out the tire kickers.

- - - Updated - - -

According to the log in the FAQ, snap-ring failures have happened as late as 116K. That hasnt been updated since 2002, so I would be willing to bet as time went on and cars racked up some more mileage there might have been a few more examples of failures over 90K. I was looking at a car that had the failure at 126K, so it can happen past 90. Im sure the chances of it go down, but it still can happen.

Last edited:
According to the log in the FAQ, snap-ring failures have happened as late as 116K. That hasnt been updated since 2002, so I would be willing to bet as time went on and cars racked up some more mileage there might have been a few more examples of failures over 90K. I was looking at a car that had the failure at 126K, so it can happen past 90. Im sure the chances of it go down, but it still can happen.

I think snap ring failures can occur at any time when you're talking about a transmission with over 100K miles.
However to attribute these high mileage failures to defective machining at time of manufacture is a bit of a stretch.
My point is after a reasonable period of time and mileage the probabilities of a car in the snap ring range suffering a failure strictly due to poor machining 24 years prior starts to diminish pretty quickly.
If you've had 90-100K trouble free miles on a car in the snap ring range I don't think it should be a big worry.

I dont want to get too far off topic, so I apologize in advance if I am. I'm just curious about this. I had always assumed that if the transmission was the multi-piece tool design (snap ring range), the potential for the failure should always be considered, regardless of mileage?

"Snap ring failure" refers to a small metal ring in the transmission that breaks (shatters) as a result of the stresses put on it by an improperly manufactured transmission case. The snap ring itself is not the cause of the problem, just the symptom. There is a groove in the case which is cut too wide on some transmission. This allows the snap ring to twist as the countershaft moves back and forth under load. The more load, the more twist. If the snap ring does twist (like rolling a rubber band inside-out) then it shatters in many pieces.

During the process of machining a batch of transmission cases they would stop once in a while to measure tolerances. They found that the snap ring groove was cut too wide after the bit was used X number of times because the three pieces that made it up would spread apart a little (several thousandths of an inch make a big difference in transmissions). They kept replacing these multi-piece bits and finally redesigned it as one-piece bit to solve the problem. So if a transmission is "in range" but was cut shortly after the bit was replaced, it will be just as good as one that isn't even in the range for failure. But they get progressively worse until the next time the bit was replaced during production.

They fixed the manufacturing problem by making the machine tool one piece instead of two. That eliminated the possibility of the two parts moving out of spec.

Vehicles with transmissions that have the three piece version machined early in the tools life could have snap rings that would last longer, and the ones that had been machined towards the end of the life of the tooling would have snap rings that would give out earlier (a small amount of stress over more mileage vs a large amount of stress over less mileage). How can a mileage limit be applied to this? If 72K in your case is considered due to the machining issue, how can 80, 90, 100K or more be considered a bit of a stretch? I do understand how one could start to assume that perhaps once they roll over 80, 90, 100K that the odds of them having a 'good' case vs a bad case increase, but I dont think there is some mileage limit on it, and certainly there cannot be an age limit on it. Its not time that makes the snap rings break, its the play that causes them to twist during use, and that twisting causes the hard and brittle metal to shatter. Use would be the only thing that would play into this, not age?

The bottomline is that only time will tell what happens. The argument that collectors will prefer the pop-up with the 3.2 is purely speculation. Unlike Porsche, I have never seen a public outcry and mass suicides over those funky 996 headlights. With the NSX, you see people converting to the 2002 look and some (like myself) feel the 2002 look gives the nsx a fresh modern feel. It's been 10 years since the last NSX, and I have still not seen 97-2001's asking for more than a 2002.

2001 Monaco asking close to $80k: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-NSX-N...tr=true&hash=item3f4f172104&item=271909855492

2002 red on red, I was told asking is $105k. In Pittsburgh, 16k miles, owned by Bobby Rahal's son Graham. Noticed a black carpet swap but creates a nice effect.

bf25f91cc4b432c6f9dffdc3305c1514.jpg

23cdcb059d619390393bfe8aad9e4689.jpg

d681621438716e68df358446b03201a2.jpg

338c8698f9063d7b68e6f96db9e6caa6.jpg

b9a36f8366be18f4b51061f7c8fc9fde.jpg

92a7a710540db3b9188120a52e352680.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Love that red 2002 car, with that price tag, I knew we should have bought a few more 02+ cars when we had the chance!

This car is going to appreciate better than the MKIV Supra and many other cars of my era. Such a beauty even in stock form which is hard to say for many cars out there.

Well it's official, I turned down an unsolicited offer this week at $60k, and not because I think it's worth more. So there's that. What all this escalation in value will do though is put more value in my insurance agent's pocket, that's for sure.

Last edited:
I would have taken that:redface:

Well it's official, I turned down an unsolicited offer this week at $60k, and not because I think it's worth more. So there's that. What all this escalation in value will do though is put more value in my insurance agent's pocket, that's for sure.

Don't you dare sell that car.

Back