• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

paint job question

After backing up into a curb, my rear valance was damaged. I then purchased a new rear valance from the dealership. The bodyshop quoted me $450 to paint it without installation. This seems somewhat expensive for a small job. Am I being overcharged?

The bodyshop charge you $450 is kinda high. You might want to try other reliable bodyshop so you can compare the price. I would say $200 to $300 would be a fair price to paint it.

Hell no, that is a rip off! I live in Washington DC where cost of living has got to be top 5 highest in the country and I had my pre-2002 valence painted for $120. I recently replaced that w/ a 2002 valence and had that painted & mounted for $140. Keep in mind that there is not much surface area to paint, the center section is left black, so only the sides are painted. The 2002 requires a bit more masking & painting, hence the extra $20. I would not pay more than $175.

[This message has been edited by QWKSLVR (edited 17 February 2003).]

Look at the labor for this operation on NSX Prime under the parts catalogs, Mitchell's Manual.
It show s a time of 1.6 hours for the paint of the rear valance. Clear coat adds 50% of that time for the first panel (according to the procedure pages of this manual) thats 2.4 hours total. That does not include any sanding/buffing and only the most cursory attempt at tinting.
Multiply that times your shops labor rate. Add to it the cost of paint/materials which is often calculated by the paint hour ie. 2.4 x $20.00. Some use a materials manual wher the costs are derived from paint code, type of paint etc.. Add to it sales tax if applicable in your area and there you are.
Be forewarned: a incorrectly painted flexible part like a valance and correctly painted one look the same until it delaminates after the first bump/flex. The time given for these parts is not only based on size but the pre-refinish steps that should be taken to have factory like performance from the coating.
Your quote seems very high. If you got a written quote there should be a breakdown as to why and how much.
Again:
2.4 hours(paint labor) x labor rate
+ 2.4 x $20.00 (paint materials)
+ sales tax
---------------
Approximate cost w/out extra tinting/buffing or installation.

------------------
www.vincesautobodyworks.com

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 19 February 2003).]

Thanks fellas, for all the advice. $450 sounded rather high, so I went and got several more estimates at other bodyshops. This time, they qouted me $260 & $297, which sounded more believable. I was told that the valance basically had a 2-tone. The middle part is painted with a satin black, and the outside is painted with actual color coat. I guess that required more labor.

Originally posted by codered:
Thanks fellas, for all the advice. $450 sounded rather high, so I went and got several more estimates at other bodyshops. This time, they qouted me $260 & $297, which sounded more believable. I was told that the valance basically had a 2-tone. The middle part is painted with a satin black, and the outside is painted with actual color coat. I guess that required more labor.

Sounds better given that your quote includes painting the center section satin black. However, I don't think it's necessary, I left mine unpainted & it looks like factory, just a wipe w/ some Armour All & it will look just right & save yourself some $$.

QwkSlvr:
Do you have any pics of your car? please post...

------------------
Biaggi
92 NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Back