• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paint question......

If a body shop took your paint code rom your door jam why would they need
to see your car to match it to a swatch? The body shop says acura has
different shades for each color because its a 7 layer process.So when they pull up the code (spa yellow)there are 4 swatches that come up with it.Can anyone explain this. :confused:

The seven layer process? You can have 4 or more formulas, called variances, for any car with any color.

The variances or formulas the shop speaks of, are formula alternates which are field developed by the paint manufacturer for colors that are a problem.
Sometime the problem is that the vehicle manufacturer has not painted all the cars that are a particular color with exactly the same color lot or conditions.
In addition:
1)Paint is photochemically reactive, which means it changes over time from exposure to sun.
2) It has mica and pearls that reflects light, giving a different color impression depending on the angle and source of light, compounded by the viewing position.

From what I've seen at our NSXCA gatherings here in the NE, and phone calls from owners and other shops,the Spa Yellow poses a problem for many re-finishers.

They absolutely need the car to tint the color correctly.

pbassjo said:
1)Paint is photochemically reactive, which means it changes over time from exposure to sun.
From what I've seen at our NSXCA gatherings here in the NE, and phone calls from owners and other shops,the Spa Yellow poses a problem for many re-finishers.

They absolutely need the car to tint the color correctly.
My understanding from talking with body shop pros (and pbassjo, correct me if I'm wrong) is that they absolutely need the car to tint the color correctly, for ANY color, not just Spa Yellow. As you note, the paint can change over time, and they need to match their paint to the color of the paint on the car, which can be slightly different from a sample in a sample book (and different from the color at the time that the car left the factory). This is one of the differences between a body shop that is just okay, and one that is a perfectionist; the perfectionist takes the care, and has the eye, to match the color exactly.

I really care about my NSX, and when I need body work, I insist that it be done by such a perfectionist, who can achieve that exact paint match. Musclesmarinara, you live in New York, and you're close to just such a perfectionist, with lots of experience doing body work on NSXs: Vince's in Poughkeepsie, about an hour north of the city. If I lived in the Northeast, that's the ONLY place I would go for NSX body repair.

Muscles, where the heck have you been??? I'm still waiting for that six foot head cheese & onions hero.

Head cheese! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwww!
The only thing worse than blood and tongue loaf!

Back