• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Penske Honda body shop (NSX)

I just dropped off my NSX at Penske Honda in Indy on 96th street today. My Acura dealer highly reconmended them (even though they're not affielated) and they seemd really knowledgable. They picked up on that I had an NSX without me having to say so and even talked about "just doing some front end work for one", which I was in for. The tech was quite knowledgable and was even talking of a black one they just had in and a red one that's been in quite a few times, they laughed about that one. Anyone got any experience with them that could be of any interest to me??

I damaged the nose, fendors, side skirt, wheel, AC condencor, and they're gonna check the frame and wheels to make certain they are perfectly straight. There was apparently some body flew that was evident to a small scrach on the inside of the driver door and a cracker plastic peice that holds on the t top, but no signs that it was bent. This was all caused by an "off road inncident", but I still drove it home :)

Anything I should look out for, make sure they do, or recomend they do??

Having not seen your car I can only give you general advice. I am not in the position to judge who you have contracted for your repairs or what is wrong with your car.

When you see parts mis-aligned or cracked they are indicators or symptoms of what may be wrong with the underlying structure of your car. Unlike mechanical repair there are aesthetics here involved and for the most part people tend to view it from the top down instead of the bottom up. Making everything fit and look nice does not mean that the problems are solved and of course doesn't mean they aren't. The best piece of diagnostic proof you as a customer and they as the repair shop can get is a printout of the state of your vehicle's structure before repairs. There are a variety of computerized measuring systems that can provide a tech, properly trained in it's use, all the information they need to correctly identify the extent of the structural damage from a collision. To attempt or commence a repair that one even suspects has any structural damage and not refer to this diagnosis is incorrect procedure.

Bear in mind that being referred to a shop by a dealership is not a given they are going to do a correct job. Having repair experience on a type of vehicle does not preclude expertise and this goes for the dealership itself too as many here can tell you. Very simply, whoever repairs your car should be able to explain what they think is wrong and what they are going to do to correct the problem. Experience in the NSX or other high end cars does not mean zip. It's the tech, the access to the proper equipment, training, information and just as important, management philosophy.
In the case of a collision where structural damage is suspect there should be a diagnosis that includes a printout that documents the state of the vehicle's structural control points. The same goes for the wheel alignment. First you measure and record, then you adjust if or as needed.
Asking for a copy and a chance to go over it with the service manager should be no more trouble than asking your doctor or dentist to go over your x-rays or blood work. They should be glad to have the opportunity to gain your confidence.
Once they show you what is wrong and why they are taking a particular tact, relax and let them do their job. Collision repair has more time variables than straight mechanical repairs so expect that it could take longer than you think and most certainly longer than you want. :smile:

Last edited:
Excellent advice from Pbassjo.

Please do not make the mistake of rushing the car into a shop becasue the dealership recommended them. This usually means they get a special rate from this shop doing all their new car adjustments....not necessarily that they are the end-all, beat-all shop.

I would rather gather input from fellow NSX owners in your area and rely upon them for the real story and recommendations. That does not mean that the shop the dealership recommended is no good, just make sure first.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice so far. When i talked with them I made it very clear not to do anything without me knowing first and that the most important thing is making sure the frame is perfectly straight first, if it's bent. I will ask for the printout info first now though, thanks :)

Also, the Acura dealer first told me about the shop they're suposed to recomend, but he personally told me of two others that he's not affeliated with but do good work, both I'm aware of, but chose Penske cause of their updated collison department and the techs knowledge of the NSX when I talked with him, so I pray eveything goes well. I told them I'm in no hurry to get it back and to take all the time they need too, hope they do :)

stopped in today. they really haven't done much. Sent the wheels out and are repacing the suspension. They said it was scrathed so they replaced it....umm ok, fine by me :-D. Next they will start on the slight damage to the fendors and should be quick with everything from there until the paint. He said maybe mid-late oct it should be done. But these dates keep changing, but as long as they do it right I don't care how long it takes. Insurance guy told me at the end of Aug it was just 15 working days of work, so maybe they're dragging their a$$es :(. Penske said 90 hours of work, so we'll see :/

Dan Ciesniewski said:
stopped in today. they really haven't done much. Sent the wheels out and are repacing the suspension. They said it was scrathed so they replaced it....umm ok, fine by me :-D. Next they will start on the slight damage to the fendors and should be quick with everything from there until the paint. He said maybe mid-late oct it should be done. But these dates keep changing, but as long as they do it right I don't care how long it takes. Insurance guy told me at the end of Aug it was just 15 working days of work, so maybe they're dragging their a$$es :(. Penske said 90 hours of work, so we'll see :/

It sounds like they are dragging a$$ severely!! Since when does a minor accident like this take 2 months to fix?? :confused:

Meeyatch1 said:
It sounds like they are dragging a$$ severely!! Since when does a minor accident like this take 2 months to fix?? :confused:

I agree!!! But what are ya gonna do? Guess they figure they can screw a 21 year old kid around with some bs. Plus since it aint going anywhere and will take longer than most vechiles to fix plus big ticket bill to the insurance company. Figure they just want to get everyone else in and out and get to me when they can. Sigh. But, on the bright side in Oct and Nov I work almost everyday, so I'm not too mad. If they couldn't get it back to me very soon they minus well keep it for a bit. All I care about is it's done right...I'm gonna be pi$$ed as a mofo if anythings not perfect!!!!!!

90 hours does not sound like a minor repair to me.
Insurance companies are in the business of minimizing costs and time is what they don't want to pay for anymore than they have to. If they wrote 90 hours it wasn't a gift, it was the least they, the insurance company, could pay and get a agreement.
The idea that the insurance company should suggest what the cycle time of a repair on a special car like a NSX is ludicrous.

Like I said:

pbassjo said:
expect that it could take longer than you think and most certainly longer than you want. :smile:

Last edited:
pbassjo said:
90 hours does not sound like a minor repair to me.
Insurance companies are in the business of minimizing costs and time is what they don't want to pay for anymore than they have to. If they wrote 90 hours it wasn't a gift, it was the least they, the insurance company, could pay and get a agreement.
The idea that the insurance company should suggest what the cycle time of a repair on a special car like a NSX is ludicrous.

Like I said:

good advice. I told them take all the time they need to get it right, so they better!!!!! All I really care is that it's done right.....they waiting sucks though. Oh I miss her so...... :(

This is the part that scares me about taking my car in. I want to take the '94 in and get a 'refresh' done on it. Respray the front, fix some uneven gaps, and start getting her back to looking new again, but I am afraid they will have the car for 6 months trying to do it. :(

I stopped in today and guess what....THEY'RE WORKING ON IT!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D
should be fixed in a week or two then paint!!!! YAY

now to get an 02+ rear valance or not hmmm, they want $800 just for the oart aaaaaaahhahha heck no, IF I get it I'll order it somewhere else.

I have to pay for half of the damaged wheels, 2 non damaged, and paint for the bumber/valance, and rear trunk/wing :)
Also, getting an 02+ "A" logo for the front, painted front valance and maybe not painting the yellow horizontal strip across the center intake for the radiator...what to ya'll think about that?

timothyaw said:
Sounds like they are coming right along with it, I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

I think we should go on a field trip to see his car. :D

Meeyatch1 said:
I think we should go on a field trip to see his car. :D

YAY, that would be soo much fun :D lol
I was in on Monday and they had the fendors off, inside door trim off, rear bumper off, and some other things.
It's FINALLY coming along!!!!
got to go in on Mon again and drop off 2 tires and the exhaust I bought just for the heat sheild :p

ITS GONNA BE FIXED SOOOOON :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Dan Ciesniewski said:
YAY, that would be soo much fun :D lol
I was in on Monday and they had the fendors off, inside door trim off, rear bumper off, and some other things.
It's FINALLY coming along!!!!
got to go in on Mon again and drop off 2 tires and the exhaust I bought just for the heat sheild :p

ITS GONNA BE FIXED SOOOOON :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Go by Friday morning....my white '94 should be in there getting tires installed (hopefully).

Meeyatch1 said:
Go by Friday morning....my white '94 should be in there getting tires installed (hopefully).

I'll be working :(
...yer just trying to look at another NSX aren't ya!!! Guess even two's not enough!! lol
See if ya can park it next to mine....maybe they'll be some cemestry and we'll be getting a baby NSX soon :)

Dan Ciesniewski said:
I'll be working :(
...yer just trying to look at another NSX aren't ya!!! Guess even two's not enough!! lol
See if ya can park it next to mine....maybe they'll be some cemestry and we'll be getting a baby NSX soon :)

HAHAHA!! I will look for yours while I am there. :D

Went there today to drop off two tires and the exhaust and I saw my car in the baking? area, most has been painted!!! MAn I need a camera!!!!! They say it might be done this week, if not next !!!! WOOOO!!!, too bad I have no idea when I can pick it up cause Im always working now!! grrrr plus, I need a ride when they're open and Im not working AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Dan Ciesniewski said:
Went there today to drop off two tires and the exhaust and I saw my car in the baking? area, most has been painted!!! MAn I need a camera!!!!! They say it might be done this week, if not next !!!! WOOOO!!!, too bad I have no idea when I can pick it up cause Im always working now!! grrrr plus, I need a ride when they're open and Im not working AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I will go get it for you...or at least drop you off. :)

Meeyatch1 said:
I will go get it for you...or at least drop you off. :)

haha, i wouldn't mind either way!
I need to see it first when it's done to make sure every little thing is ok (had some paint problems a month ago with them on my truck) and pay the bill, but I can't drive the X and my truck home at the same time :p

If scheduling alows, you can pick it up if I can't get to it, just take care of it!!.....and get the oil changed too :D ;) jk, its at 3k

Dan Ciesniewski said:
haha, i wouldn't mind either way!
I need to see it first when it's done to make sure every little thing is ok (had some paint problems a month ago with them on my truck) and pay the bill, but I can't drive the X and my truck home at the same time :p

If scheduling alows, you can pick it up if I can't get to it, just take care of it!!.....and get the oil changed too :D ;) jk, its at 3k

Just let me know!! If you need someone to grab it I can put it in my garage until you have time to come get it....seriously.

I would be careful with the paint as well. I took my NSX to them last week (the white one) to see about getting the front repainted and the first thing the guy tells me is, 'Well....we are probably not going to be able to match the paint, just so you know that....,' at which point I ruled them out of fixing my car. :(

Meeyatch1 said:
Just let me know!! If you need someone to grab it I can put it in my garage until you have time to come get it....seriously.

I would be careful with the paint as well. I took my NSX to them last week (the white one) to see about getting the front repainted and the first thing the guy tells me is, 'Well....we are probably not going to be able to match the paint, just so you know that....,' at which point I ruled them out of fixing my car. :(

well thats not good :(. You didn't by chance talk with Mark Evans or Mark Cooper did ya? They told me no problem, but Im also having them repaint everything except the A and B piler and t -top. They seemed to match the paint on my white truck just fine, but Dodge sure isn't NSX quality paint and Im particially color blind, so I might miss the little difference in hues and shades. When I saw it from like 10 ft away in the booth it looked good though :p

Im gonna check on it this afternoon, so if its almost done Ill be sure to let ya know if I can't pick it up soon.

I think Im gonna go with a complete wrap of the bumper, hood, and fendors with it wraping around the edges so you can't tell the clear bra is on. How long should I let the paint cure before having you install it?? I don't wanna take the chance of really driving it much and getting a scratch or chip until its on.

Dan Ciesniewski said:
...I think Im gonna go with a complete wrap of the bumper, hood, and fendors with it wraping around the edges so you can't tell the clear bra is on. How long should I let the paint cure before having you install it?? I don't wanna take the chance of really driving it much and getting a scratch or chip until its on.

If they are baking it on I would probably just wait a few weeks to see if the paint shrinks anymore so that it could be buffed out. I asked a friend who owns a bodyshop about that and he said most of the paint shrink that is not taken care of in the initial bake is usually spotted and done within a couple weeks of completion. To do a total panel wrap we will have two options for you:

1.) Order a MUCH larger piece of material (that hood is rather large) in order to wrap with no lines.

2.) Join two pieces of material together to wrap the entire panels with minimum noticeability.

When you get your car back we will go over the options. I have this on my '94 but it goes about halfay up the NSX hood.

Back