• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Picking up my car this weekend in Florida and driving all the way back to Houston

I wish to thank the good people on NSX Prime who have provided great information and advice in helping me finally decide to purchase my first NSX. I will be flying down to Ft Lauderdale on a early Saturday morning flight and meet the fine gentleman that I have been in communication with about the car. He will pick me up at the airport and take me to his place where I will see my 1994 black/black NSX with just over 10k miles on it.

I plan to leave as quickly as I can to drive the 1200 miles to Houston. I am debating whether I should break the journey by staying in a hotel on the way or just dose myself with some high octane coffee and do it in one go. I know I will be tired but I just have this fear of sleeping in some unknown place with my NSX exposed to possible vandalism or worse.

I just hope not to get caught behind some gravel throwing trucks on the way.

I am quite excited. I have owned a 1990 300zxTT, a 1994 Toyota Supra TT and a 1996 Miata, all were sold when my son was born a few years ago. I thought that I had outgrown my passion for sports cars but clearly I was wrong. Over the past year or so I have been feeling the need for some car that would put some excitement back into driving. I have thought about the 350 Z and the Infiniti G35 and the S2000 and the recently introduced RX8. All are fun cars but I just wasn't "blown away" by any of these. I kept thinking about the NSX which despite having been relatively unchanged for a dozen years or so still is exciting to look at and its appeal is still as strong as ever. I feel that the NSX is one of the most handsome cars ever made and the quality of construction, the materials, the reliability are just in a different league.

NSX Prime is a great resource and a fun place for anyone interested in learning about this very desirable sports car and I thank all of you who have made this place special.

Congratulations!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip bringing your new baby home.
I too have been glued to this site for the last couple of months learning all I can before my first NSX purchase. Hopefully that will be within a week. I'm negoriating with a guy in Southern Cal...I live 400+ miles North in Portland. If all works out I plan on taking Hwy 101 along the Pacific coast all the way home. Does that sound great or what? Again, congratulations.

Contratulations. However, I would consider staying overnight somewhere. The last thing you need to to get into an accident in your new NSX because you are tired.

Your story is very similar to mine. I drove from Houston to Sacramento in my new-to-me NSX about 3 months ago. I had the same concerns you have regarding vandals and damage. I decided to go nonstop, 2000 miles, no sleep.... and made it without a hitch. No rocks, no sandstorms, no rain. And during the trip, with my car, the comfortable seat, and the thumbs up being given to me along the way, it was heaven!!!! I swear, my maiden trip alone made buying the NSX worth every cent.

Because of the car you'll be driving, I'm sure your journey home will be just as satisfying! :D :D

Hope you have a safe trip back home. When I bought my NSX, I brought a friend along and both of switched driving duties for the 2100 mile trip from Fargo, ND, to California. Before we left, I went to an auto parts store and bought some extra oil, oil filter, flares, tool set, etc. Fortunately the seller had the OEM nosebra which kept the nose of the car protected. We drove the speed limit so not to have any trouble with the law (Montana was the exception) and made the entire trip in 23 hours.

I was going to have the car shipped but I'm glad I chose to drive instead. I got to see a lot of our country that I've never seen before. It was the best car buying experience that I've ever had.

congrats.

How about posting in the southeast(or another region?) region to find out if any other NSXer is willing to put you up for the night, or maybe they can recommend a safe hotel to stay at? I'm sure you'll sleep much better knowing that your car is in a safe place.

If it's not too much to ask, how much did you get the low mileage car for?

I greatly appreciate the kind words and...

great advice from all.
Chris, I have the same concern as you about getting too tired. If I do feel that I am unable to do this 1200 miles in one go I will try and find a "nice" hotel to put up for the night.

Hearing how so many of us have taken to trouble to purchase the NSX thousands of miles away and driven it back tells me something. How many cars get this labor of love? Very few indeed.

I was re-reading last night, the detailed info that the Acura site gives on the history, design and manufacturing of the NSX. Quite amazing.

In answer to the question about how much I paid. I looked ad Edmunds and others and found that their pricing was not realistic with the marketplace. It seems that the pricing guide in the FAQ of this forum is quite accurate, so I paid exactly what a 1994 in A+ condition with very low miles should go for. Knowing that I paid according to the realistic market rate makes me feel comfortable. I get the feeling though that after I have the car keys in my grubby little hands that I would know that each and every cent of that price was worth it. What is the price of pure driving pleasure in a gorgeous car that people admire. If something makes you feel like a million dollars then a few thousand dollars more or less really does not make a difference. To those who are contemplating pulling the trigger and are a few thousand dollars away from what they have decided they wish to pay, I personally would say this, if you have really found the car you like, the color and mileage etc. then go for it. There are not too many of these cars around and the pleasure you will derive from the car over the years will make up for everything. Don't get gouged by all means, but paying a little more for a car that fits your dream car image is a little price to pay.

Again, I thank all of you for your words of advice and will post an account of the adventure once it is over.

If you aren't in a rush to leave S. Florida after the deal is completed, maybe a few of us can meet up for brunch to welcome you to the NSX ownership club. Besides, the S. Florida owners haven't had a gtg in over a year.

shiftright2

Congratulations on your purchase. I only drove about 200 miles home when I purchased my car but I still remember just how absolutely great it felt.
Do yourself a favor and make sure to take a camera with you.
I don't know the area you will be driving so I cannot comment about the safety of you and your car, but personally speaking I would not do it in one trip but would stop somewhere halfway. That way your NSX-initiation will last two days instead of one.

But be warned in advance.
If you do stop over somewhere you will probably sleep very little because of the urge you will have to get out in the middle of the night just to admire your car :)

shiftright2

Congratulations on your purchase. I only drove about 200 miles home when I purchased my car but I still remember just how absolutely great it felt.
Do yourself a favor and make sure to take a camera with you.
I don't know the area you will be driving so I cannot comment about the safety of you and your car, but personally speaking I would not do it in one trip but would stop somewhere halfway. That way your NSX-initiation will last two days instead of one.

But be warned in advance.
If you do stop over somewhere you will probably sleep very little. That because you will feel an urge to get out in the middle of the night just to admire your car :)

I bought my NSX in Florida in January and drove it back to Baltimore with a friend of mine so we could take turns driving. It was an 18 hour trip. I was worried about trucks throwing stones and the like, but had no problems at all. Neither one of us actually slept on the trip back because the NSX is so much fun to drive, not to mention the fact that its not real comfortable to sleep in anyway.

shiftright2,

Tell the previous owner to put an extra coat of wax on the car before you drive it home, especially on the front end and the mirror pods. This will make getting all that "bug-gutt makeup" off your car much easier!

Also, note your gas mileage during the trip and report it here when you get back. If you use the cruise control, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

:D

I don't worry about staying overnight en route. At all. At the interstate exits there are lots of hotels of various price ranges, and all are usually very safe - more safe than a downtown hotel parking garage would be (and even that is usually pretty safe as well). I tend to stay in budget type hotels (Super 8, Comfort Inn, Days Inn, Best Western) and have never had a problem. Assuming you're arriving after dark and leaving the next morning, chances are that your car won't even be noticed.

Don't obsess - enjoy!

liftcontrol=shiftright2

I was trying to post to this forum from work and realized that my user name of shiftright2 is from home and that a long time ago I had registered as "liftcontrol" . So I could not log in as "shiftright2".

In any event, I must say that the quality of the automobile that we all love is matched by the quality of the good people on this forum. I cannot say how warm I feel when I see all these wonderful suggestions from all you good people.

Dr. Lane and MiamiNeSeX, I so wish that I did not have to rush off to Houston right away, but the fact is that I am on call for the entire week starting July the 28th and therefore much as I regret it I would not be able to have the pleasure of meeting you and the other wonderful people.

MVM, NSXROX, Autophile and nsxtasy and the others I appreciate your comments.

I will make sure that there is an extra coating of wax on the front. I do believe the car has a bra but the side view mirrors should be coated.

If I get very tired I will stay in some hotel just for a few hours and since the car has a cover with it I may decide to cover it.

I will keep track of the MPG as well and will report it here upon returning to Houston.

Thank you all so much!

Shiftrigh2/liftcontrol

:)

congrats

congratulations, liftcontrol/shiftright2!!! I am in Houston also..but am opting to get my car shipped here next week due to fear that something might happen on the way home. (mainly deers and animals) lets keep in contact and go for a drive one weekend when we're all free..

I did this about 3 weeks ago. I flew from Virginia Beach to Shreveport, Louisiana. Then drove it back the next day.

Flew down, stayed at hotel, next morning did paper work, final inspection then drove 18 hours back. My dad went with me on this trip.

We didn't even stop to eat. When we stopped for gas was when we went to the bathroom, bought power bars, gatorade and water.

We made real good time.

Honestly, stopping for the night may be good for resting, but... you don't know the area.... Can you sleep knowing your car is out there?

just a thought... good luck with your drive.. and you may want to invest in a radar detector...

PS... I think it's Georgia that uses lasors...

-x-

i bought my car in virginia, drove up to baltimore and stay at my parents for the night, woke up to 5 inches of snow waited till the driveway got plowed and on my way to florida i went. once i got to virginia where it was only virginia i stoped and washed the car in 35 degree whether and off i went. i was so excited i made the 15 hour drive straight thru i borrowed a friends bra off his nsx to protect against stones and my passport 8500 against police, drive to fl from md i ever had and i have done it over 20 times in allot of vehicles, nothin like doing 140 at 3 in the morning with no one around

Congrats

I to have been in the market for an NSX. Your sheer excitment is a true testiment to how we ALL feel about this wounderful machine. I will cherish the day that I too will experience what you will tomorrow. It's funny, I kinda have goose bumps for you. HOW EXCITING! I bet that jet plane won't fly fast enough for you....

I'm not sure which way you will be driving up thru Florida, but I live in Tampa and will be thinking about you and your beautiful new car as your GRINNING all the way home. :D (try to do face excercises-this will help if you face cramps up!)

I have to agree on staying somewhere overnight! The idea of making your dream drive last 2 days instead of one, just sounds better. I can see you now checking into a hotel REQUESTING a room with a window to the parking lot and TRYING to sleep with the curtains open with your car right out side!!! :D Besides, driving first thing in the morning as the sun comes up is the best!

HAVE A WOUNDERFUL DRIVE and please post some pics, can't wait to here and see it all!

Back