• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Plasti-dip Questions and answers

I'm probably going to try this anyways, but anyone do just a metalizer over stock wheels? It says specifically to do it over a base plastidip, but whatever :biggrin:

No need to mask the tire. The plastidip will just peel off easily and/or rub off easily.

Post pics when you're done.

It peels and rubs off easily ONLY if the tire has been treated with a tire shine product in the past.. I dipped a brand new set of wheels and tires the other day and the tires had never been treated. It was a pain!

For the people that do not like the matte finish. They just released the Glossifier in a gallon form so whole cars can be glossed easily. Also, This past week we made some changes to my daily driver TL.

Installed some 19x8.5 +35 Volk CE28N's and peeled and redipped the car. Here are some pics.

Peeling. With the new wheels installed:
0708D183-2B64-4883-9D67-7103707D93EE-15293-00000A8053D19BD0.jpg

Re-dipped a custom gray with the gold wheels:
5B90B07D-7FD5-4BF3-810F-A18359A7FB13-15293-00000A806556CE3B.jpg

Decided I did not like the gold wheels on there so:
Also, We dipped the front grills and window trim matte black
F6E22A47-D2C4-4154-A0C6-E89DA0F4D40C-15293-00000A80739523F7.jpg

04ZTL.jpg

557160_10152144815735192_1462692534_n.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I used matte black and glossifier to get the tinted cf look for my mirrors.

mirrors2.JPG

For those that have used this as a "clear bra" does it leave a crease or does it blend right into the paint?

Another question; If you just do the clear, do you need to use more (# of coats) since it is thinner?

For those that have used this as a "clear bra" does it leave a crease or does it blend right into the paint?

Another question; If you just do the clear, do you need to use more (# of coats) since it is thinner?

I tried this as a clear bra.

The Matte clear in the gallons obviously made the front of the car Matte. Good for weekend track use etc but looks silly when using it all the time. I also tried to use the aerosol cans to make it glossy on top of that. That still looks to far "off". There was just to much of a change in color for it to look good all the time.

I also tried just using the aerosol spray glossifier and that did not work either. It is not thick enough to provide a barrier of safety on the paint.

I have not used the Gloss Gallons to try a clear bra yet. I plan to try it soon. That may work. This is a thicker version of the glossifier.

I was looking around the net to see if I could find a ratio of colours in order to make the 3D untextured render colour. And then I stumbled on this thread. That Acura colour is by far the most perfect grey possible. I was wondering what ratio you used to achieve it? I live in Canada so ordering from dipyourcar.com may not be possible for me and I may be limited to the over priced colors carried in our hardware stores.

Thanks so much for the help.

I was looking around the net to see if I could find a ratio of colours in order to make the 3D untextured render colour. And then I stumbled on this thread. That Acura colour is by far the most perfect grey possible. I was wondering what ratio you used to achieve it? I live in Canada so ordering from dipyourcar.com may not be possible for me and I may be limited to the over priced colors carried in our hardware stores.

Thanks so much for the help.

Thanks for the kind words.

4 gallons of white
1/8th gallon of black and 1/4 gallon of gunmetal.

So can you add gloss over the mat gray? What does the texture feel like after the glossifier cures?

The texture is smooth either way. If it is installed correctly. Yes, We can add gloss right over any color.

Thanks for the kind words.

4 gallons of white
1/8th gallon of black and 1/4 gallon of gunmetal.

Thanks so much for the help! I'm gonna try and get a slightly lighter shade by leaving out the 1/4 gallon gunmetal. My goal is to try and get as close as I can to what I refer to as "Untextured CG Render Grey". Kind of like what it looks like in the pic on the grass. I think that one looks lighter due to the lighting. That's what I'm shooting for. Thanks again!

I want to see it in person. I wouldn't mind making a NSX Type-R clone.
All white, maybe black wheels....

Yes, $500 is a good deal for 3 gallons of dip installed.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone use this on the front lip?

Yea, It stands up to a lot of damage. Good part is if you get a scratch on it you can thin the edges of the scratch and smooth it ans re-spray it.

Just a heads up everyone. In my opinion the dip needs to be 4 gallons thick on an NSX size vehicle. After doing 20+ vehicles here and peeling about 5 we see a huge difference in how thickness makes the peeling process much easier. With 3 gallons of dip an NSX takes about 3 hours to peel with a couple people helping. With 4 gallons of dip installed it drops to about 2. Life is much easier if you want to peel it at some point. We actually are ONLY doing the installs with 4 gallons now. No longer is 3 acceptable to us.

Just want to make life easier in the future if you planned on doing this.

How well do they hold up on wheels?

How easy is it to peel off wheels after lets say a years worth of driving? Easier to dip without tires on or with tires? (Scared of messing up the dip if I mount the tires on after)

How well do they hold up on wheels?

How easy is it to peel off wheels after lets say a years worth of driving? Easier to dip without tires on or with tires? (Scared of messing up the dip if I mount the tires on after)

It holds up fine on wheels. Just make sure you make the finish nice and thick.

Tires on it are the best way.

It holds up fine on wheels. Just make sure you make the finish nice and thick.

Tires on it are the best way.

Gotcha i think I might try this for fun. If i like it I'll leave it on there for the summer.

Have you had wheels dip for a year and tried to peel it off before? Just curious if something like wheels that heat up n cool down all the time has any effect on the dip curing/sticking to the rims more.

Gotcha i think I might try this for fun. If i like it I'll leave it on there for the summer.

Have you had wheels dip for a year and tried to peel it off before? Just curious if something like wheels that heat up n cool down all the time has any effect on the dip curing/sticking to the rims more.

As long as you install it thick enough there is no issue at all in peeling it. I have dipped and peeled wheels a bunch. My friend has a Grand Cherokee we dipped his wheels 2 years ago and have never had an issue. Peeled them last week and they came clean easily.

- - - Updated - - -

Pressure washable?

Yep!

Think i am going to try plasti dipping my wheels on Friday. I just need to find the stuff and decided if i want to do Black or Gun metal.

Back