• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Please help me identify this vehicle

Hey All, I was in Laos a month ago and came across an old 4x4 which I really liked. it had no plaque or ID to help me figure out what it was. I am guessing an old russian or maybe german military vehicle but i really have no idea. Does anyone know what this is? thanks for any help you can provide

Laos-Vietnam_003.jpg

Laos-Vietnam_004.jpg

Last edited:
Re: pLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS VEHICLE

Looks either Thailand or Laos. I'm guessing it's more than likely french, MAYBE british. Thats because the french had alot of influence in that region of the world. My best guess would be a Berliet VA3.

Last edited:

I agree. It looks very French to me, and that's coupled with the French influence in the area during the 1950's. Would love to have something like that here in San Francisco just to drive across the hoods of these crazy drivers here, or to push them into the intersection when they want to turn left and won't pull up enough for you to get around their right side.:biggrin:

The fenders remind me of citrogen. Then again, Berliet got sold to Citrogen in the.... 60's.

It's more than likely an old french military vehicle also, due to the lack of chrome and extra fancy trim pieces that were placed on regular consumer vehicles.

Here is something similiar. Notice how this one has a shiny badge on the hood but the military vehicle you posted doesn't.

berliet4.jpg

image008.gif

Last edited:

It does appear to have a "VA3" or "YA3" stamped on the center /front of the hood with a dent in it. A google of the Berliet VA3 has not turned up the vehicle however.

The engraving on the front (YA3) is cyrillic. This is a Russian Vehicle.

Y = U
A = A
3 = Z

Yeah, the Z in cyrillic looks like a number 3.

This is a GAZ 69 model, without the top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ-69

There ya go! Russians!

GOD I LOVE THIS SITE!
Thanks so much! Now how can I find one to buy?

The engraving on the front (YA3) is cyrillic. This is a Russian Vehicle.

Y = U
A = A
3 = Z

Yeah, the Z in cyrillic looks like a number 3.

This is a GAZ 69 model, without the top.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAZ-69

There ya go! Russians!

Great. You da man.

GOD I LOVE THIS SITE!
Thanks so much! Now how can I find one to buy?

Extremely rare out here in the States. If there are any, you will wait a while before they get posted for sale. Best bet is importing (if you want it that bad) and that would be from anywhere in the Soviet block, Eastern Europe, China or any communist part of Asia, or from some places in Southern Europe like the former Yugoslavia. Maybe also Cuba...

I'm sure the US collectors will hold on to them for dear life.

Last edited:
Back