• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Police officers ticket quota

Thank you NSX PRIME and RSO 34 for un-deleting this thread. I am happy that cool heads prevailed and a chance is given to a civilized dialogue on this and other "controversial" subjects.

I would hope that the Off Topic forum can encourage intelligent and polite exchanges without provoking the Delete button.

So back on topic...

I have recently received two fwy speeding violations. Both were cited while I was driving my DD pickup truck. Both chp officers said I was not driving unsafely. Though, they did not state I was driving safely but instead phrased using a double negative. Both were received within 3 days of the last day of the month. Both were cited at <10mph over the posted speed limit and overall in relatively wide open stretches of road.

In over a decade of CA fwy driving i've never received a speeding ticket on the fwy. Yet, when the state faces a severe budget crisis I seem to get nailed.

I don't know if CHP ticket fees somehow translates into revenue for the state but the timing of events just makes me wonder........

This is not a post to complain about cops but the article posted does propose a possible reason for my citations, even though it only mentions LA Westside jurisdictions vs. CA Fwys. It just plainly sucks that I now have to go through the hassle of fighting this in court. Quotas are against the law.

Note to Prime Admins: If this needs to be deleted because it is deemed too opinionated or somehow contains a hidden agenda and does not promote the overall sentiment of the site then so be it. I don't mind. I've grown tired of having to moderate my own posts :frown:

Last edited:
PUPPIES!!! (for those in the know :wink:)

chantelly-puppies.jpg

Keep it civil guys. You are in control of your own (and this thread's) destiny.

Last edited:
It's no surprise to me. For years I always have noticed at the very end and the beginning of the month, that the amount of people being pulled over for tickets is allot more than compared to other days. No coincidence. It's pretty obvious they are either getting all their citations out of the way at the beginning of the month so they can relax the rest of the time or vise versa. If there isn't any "secret quota", a traffic officer can just park somewhere for his entire shift and chill. His superiors would never know that he's is not out patrolling the streets. Oh, unless there are some spies out there watching if they do their work which I doubt.

Dang it. What'd i miss?

I wrote some scathing comment about taxpayers being on the hook for the tickets AND the lawsuit...

What happened after that? :biggrin:

RUY, I don't think the moderators mind civilized criticism of law enforcement as long as it does not get out of hand.

No sooner has the ticket quota trial news died down that the newspapers yesterday uncovered the case of a traffic court judge right here in OC who routinely dismissed friends and family citations and encouraged his staff to do the same.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/04/13/state/n141357D80.DTL

Corruption is alive and thriving...and to think that these guys are on our payroll. Pathetic.

I was a cop in my former career for over 20 years and we never had a quota; we were told we could write as many tickets as we wanted.

When I rode motors (Kawasaki and Harley Davidsons) it was not uncommon to write 25 tickets in a day. I was typically not the high producer either.

And for all that are going to jump up and down; I rarely had a ticket contested because when I wrote a ticket the driver usually was apologizing up one side and down the other because if it wasn't a good violation like blowing stop signs at 25 MPH or 80+ in a 55 (back then) I wouldn't stop them.

One of my favorites was a mom in a Volvo wagon, three kids in car seats, talking on her phone and drinking an ice-coffe drink while she was doing 55+ in a posted 35 using all three lanes with no turn signals. I was behind her with just my lights on about 1 mile to see if she would even notice me; she did not. I will never forget the look on her face when I blipped the siren and she saw me. I wrote her very each and every violation because she absolutely deserved it. Never went to court on that either.

There was a time that I thought I wanted to be a police officer. I was a reserve on 2 different departments. I think the reserves in the 2 towns I served in were given more authority/responsibility than they might get in most places because both towns were very small and actually NEEDED the help. It wasn't a matter of "we have a reserve program and we let these guys ride around with us and get their jollies". It was more like the towns didn't have it in the budget to hire the 2-3 full time officers they still needed to maintain adequate patrols, so they enlisted the help of 4-6 reserves to make up the difference. We did everything but receive a paycheck. There were times at night that I was the only officer on duty in the whole town.

I felt I needed to clear up that I wasn't on some "ride along" program.

That being said, during my years as an officer in 2 towns, neither department had a "quota" for tickets. This was also between 2002-2007 when the economy wasn't in the drink, so I've never been witness to what happens during tougher economic times. What I CAN attest to is that each department I was on had it's "traffic guy". The guy that just loves writing tickets. It also seemed like most of the other officers kind of jokingly poked that guy to maybe move around and do a little real police work instead of spiking insurance rates for soccer moms. Of course it was all said in 90% jest and nothing ever changed, but let it be known that every officer has his own "thing". Some guys love working overnights, some guys love working afternoons. Some guys like patrolling bad neighborhoods and some guys love running radar and writing speeding tickets. My best friend was a traffic nazi, and I used to give him hell for harassing people with stupid speeding tickets, and he just laughed and kept it up. Didn't bother him in the least.

:I guess this is the personal opinion that will be moderated.
In my time as an officer, I did end up feeling like most of the guys had some sort of vendetta. Maybe they weren't given any respect in their younger days and they were going to make darn sure they got it now. That's how it felt at least, and that was ultimately made me choose a different profession. I just didn't think I could act towards people the way most of them did and sleep well at night. I was the "good cop", and while I saw it as great PR for the department (because every bad cop argument needs 1 person to be able to step up and talk about when they were given a warning or let go or actually HELPED by an officer), I mostly caught hell (just in joking) about not being a bigger ass to everyone I came into contact with.
So there definitely is THAT side of things which I think most people have come to dislike about speeding tickets. They don't NEED to be written constantly but they are. And it makes motorists ask why. But those questioned don't need to be answered by LE and it annoys the public.

I can also honestly say that there are some officers that write tickets not because they enjoy it but because officers have so much time to decide for themselves what they should be doing, that writing tickets is a good way to document that you are actually working and put a time stamp on your daily activities.

Hope that wasn't too much gas on the fire for either side. :cool:

I rarely had a ticket contested because when I wrote a ticket the driver usually was apologizing up one side and down the other because if it wasn't a good violation like blowing stop signs at 25 MPH or 80+ in a 55 (back then) I wouldn't stop them.

I agree 100% with you, but I was in the minority. I usually had a 15mph buffer, and even then would ask why they were speeding. If it was a good legitimate reason I told them to please slow it down and drive safely. That hurrying to get there wouldn't matter if they didn't MAKE IT there. And sent them on their way.

I let plenty of people go with real explanations. BTW, the good looking woman with tons of cleavage showing....ticket. The not so cute, heavy woman that was honest....no ticket.

Every ticket I've ever gotten was legit- regardless if it was in the beginning, middle or end of the month. I was speeding- as I usually do 5-10mph over I guess it is habitual.

I have been let go a few times, and I have had my actual speed reduced on the ticket twice and I am grateful for that.

While the idea of a "quota" is a bit disturbing, as long as they are only busting offenders (even when it's me) then I don't have a problem with it.

P

Frankly, I wish there were more cops on the roads! Sure, I hate getting speeding tickets. But a lot of people in my neck of the woods don't know how to drive. Common courtesy is a thing of the past. I'd say 80% of the time, people don't even use their turn signal. How hard is that? :rolleyes: (maybe I'm getting old and cranky?)

As for speed traps...I don't care for them. Cops use to use our work parking lot to radar people coming down the road. My boss would walk out and literally yell at them....and tell them to get the hell off of our property.

I have more respect for cops cruising the streets keeping the peace, pulling over drunks, and chasing crooks....speed traps seem are slimy.

I have been let go a few times, and I have had my actual speed reduced on the ticket twice and I am grateful for that.

While the idea of a "quota" is a bit disturbing, as long as they are only busting offenders (even when it's me) then I don't have a problem with it.
+1

as a motorcycle rider and bicyclist who rides surface streets, i am glad to see an increase in legitimate traffic law enforcement.

Frankly, I wish there were more cops on the roads! Sure, I hate getting speeding tickets. But a lot of people in my neck of the woods don't know how to drive. Common courtesy is a thing of the past. I'd say 80% of the time, people don't even use their turn signal. How hard is that? :rolleyes: (maybe I'm getting old and cranky?)

As for speed traps...I don't care for them. Cops use to use our work parking lot to radar people coming down the road. My boss would walk out and literally yell at them....and tell them to get the hell off of our property.

I have more respect for cops cruising the streets keeping the peace, pulling over drunks, and chasing crooks....speed traps seem are slimy.

Try driving in Cali.:tongue:

What do fellow primers that are cops think about this situation - I got pulled over for "Unsafe turning movement" .....Not speeding. I was turning right onto east Imperial from north on Sepulveda near LAX and was doing 25-30 mph ...... no traffic anywhere in the intersection, and I turned into the middle lane... The cop initially said I was driving recklessly, and I explained to him that I was well under the speed limit of 40 mph, and that I, unlike other drivers know what I'm doing behind the wheel and that 30 mph was no where near unsafe for turning into this very wide intersection. You can make this turn without much effort at 30+ mph.... So he gave me the unsafe turning movement ticket which doesn't really make sense to me since I maintained my lane, did not screech the tires or even come anywhere near the limit of the handling of the car... I know its at his discretion to ticket anyone he wants for whatever he wants but what are my options here?

Long story short, the ticket never showed up on my record (looking at the lasuperiorcourt.org site) until after it was due..... It seemed like the cop didn't turn in the ticket for some reason. Luckily I was able to get an extension for the due date and my only option is to go to court or pay it. I was thinking of doing trial by declaration b/c I don't feel I was doing anything wrong... Thoughts?

Last edited:
What do fellow primers that are cops think about this situation - I got pulled over for "Unsafe turning movement" .....Not speeding. I was turning right onto east Imperial from north on Sepulveda near LAX and was doing 25-30 mph ...... no traffic anywhere in the intersection, and I turned into the middle lane... The cop initially said I was driving recklessly, and I explained to him that I was well under the speed limit of 40 mph, and that I, unlike other drivers know what I'm doing behind the wheel and that 30 mph was no where near unsafe for turning into this very wide intersection. You can make this turn without much effort at 30+ mph.... So he gave me the unsafe turning movement ticket which doesn't really make sense to me since I maintained my lane, did not screech the tires or even come anywhere near the limit of the handling of the car... I know its at his discretion to ticket anyone he wants for whatever he wants but what are my options here?

Long story short, the ticket never showed up on my record (looking at the lasuperiorcourt.org site) until after it was due..... It seemed like the cop didn't turn in the ticket for some reason. Luckily I was able to get an extension for the due date and my only option is to go to court or pay it. I was thinking of doing trial by declaration b/c I don't feel I was doing anything wrong... Thoughts?

Anyone have any tips? If I was speeding I would expect to be flamed lol but I don't feel I was doing anything wrong here..... any help would be appreciated. Thx

Why is it dangerous for me to go 65 in a 55 but the officer can get up to 90 or so to catch me and bitch me out for being a danger to society. I guarantee I have more race training than 99% of most officers out there.

103 tickets in 2 days

as a motorcycle rider and bicyclist who rides surface streets, i am glad to see an increase in legitimate traffic law enforcement.
update:

a couple of days ago our local newspaper published an article stating our city p.d. had written 103 tickets in a 2 day period for cellphone / txting violations. they have scheduled another 2 day focused-enforcement for the same violators later this month.

we'll see if the talking / txting lane-swervers eventually get the message.

Back