• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Presidential Quotes

I was looking at the thread on Prime about states that folks have driven their NSX's and noticed that one guy had driven his NSX in all of the 48 states CONUS. The map he posted reminded me of when Ronald Reagan was elected because, if I remember correctly, won most of the States (I was 13 at the time and my memory may be a bit fuzzy). Anyway I looked up some of Reagan's quotes and some of them are really great. He was a great man and here is one example.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same".
Ronald Reagan

I always liked this Regan quote:

"Whatever else history may say about me when I'm gone, I hope it will record that I appealed to your best hopes, not your worst fears, to your confidence rather than your doubts."

Some others that resonate:

<DT>I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. </DT>

People don't start wars, governments do.

<DT>The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it. </DT>

And a couple that made me smile:

<DT>Thomas Jefferson once said, 'We should never judge a president by his age, only by his works.' And ever since he told me that, I stopped worrying. </DT>

<DT>I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting. </DT>

One of the greatest quotes of all time as I find myself using it quite frequently. :tongue::biggrin:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
-Bill Clinton

Last edited:
[SIZE=-1]The one thing our Founding Fathers could not foresee -- they were farmers, professional men, businessmen giving of their time and effort to an idea that became a country -- was a nation governed by professional politicians who had an interest in getting re-elected. They probably envisioned a fellow serving a couple of hitches and then eagerly looking forward to getting back to the farm. -RONALD REAGAN[/SIZE]

One of the greatest quotes of all time as I find myself using it quite frequently. :tongue::biggrin:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
-Bill Clinton

Best one so far.

Here is mine

"This is my maiden voyage. My first speech since I was the president of the United States and I couldn't think of a better place to give it than Calgary, Canada." --George W. Bush, as reported by the Associated Press, Calgary, Canada, March 17, 2009

Last edited:
"Within One year I will have the troops returning home and Git-mo will be closed".

"Not one dime will be taxed to those making under $250,000".

"This stimulus will keep unemployment under 8%"

"We need to be more like Europe"

"Those cops acted stupidly"

"That's above my pay grade"

-BO

Calvin Coolidge doesn't get a lot of attention these days but this is one of my favorites:

President Calvin Coolidge and his wife allegedly visited a poultry farm one day. During the tour, Mrs. Coolidge inquired of the farmer how his farm managed to produce so many eggs with such a small number of roosters. The farmer proudly explained that his roosters performed their duty dozens of times each day.

"Perhaps you could point that out to Mr. Coolidge," replied the First Lady in a pointedly loud voice.

The President, overhearing the remark, asked the farmer, "Does each rooster service the same hen each time?"

"No," replied the farmer, "there are many hens for each rooster."

"Perhaps you could point that out to Mrs. Coolidge," replied the President.

Last edited:
While we are on the subject of Calvin Coolidge, the following story--possibly apocryphal--seems appropriate:

At a White House dinner one evening a female guest turned to the notoriously taciturn Coolidge and said "Mr. President, I have a bet with a friend that I can get you to say more than two words to me," to which Coolidge replied, “You lose.”

"Poverty is uncomfortable; but nine times out of ten the best thing that can happen to a young man is to be tossed overboard and compelled to sink or swim." - James A. Garfield

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5fOq9PYp8A&feature=related

The best quote starts at 1:28 but there was nothing that this guy said that I disagreed with. Best president ever and I hope for just one more like him with in my lifetime!!!

Best prez in my lifetime and I go back a few more than you Steve. Remember when he said this:

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

More Coolidge quotes:

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

This hangs in my office.

I also like:

"Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong."

"I have been to all 58 states." BHO.

"The problem to be solved is, not what form of government is perfect, but which of the forms is least imperfect." -Madison

"It is easier to do a job right than to explain why you didn't." -Van Buren

"It is not strange to mistake change for progress." -Fillmore

"You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." -Lincoln

"The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people." -A Johnson

"If it were not for the reporters, I would tell you the truth." -Arthur

"You can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time." -Lincoln (classic Lincoln, not all that articulate but gets valuable points across in an easily understood manner)

I prefer democracy and consider it the only rational form of government but there are some enlightening quotes from presidents on it-

"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried." - Winston Churchill (such a great one W.C. will have to count as a president)

"Democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their death." - James Madison

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." - Thomas Jefferson

"Abortion is advocated only by persons who have themselves been born." - Ronald Reagon

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves." - RR

"People don't start wars, governments do." - RR (and rarely do political leaders die because of them, especially on both sides)

"Honesty is the first chapter of the book of wisdom." - Thomas Jefferson

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson (excellent forsight)

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

"Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally." - Abraham Lincoln (that one always makes me laugh)

Back