• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Problems motivating myself!

Guys,
Im having a problem motivating myself this year to get into shape. Year after year ive been able to get into shape to do Triathalons (sprint) but this year ive done nothing but sit on my A$$ and do nothing. My bike is about to disown me and my shoes have cobwebs. I havent seen my wetsuit and cant remember what it looks like:eek:
This year, ive started working out only to stop a couple weeks later:eek:

Anyone have any ideas to get and stay motivated??

(I know i could be working out instead of typing all this...but hence the topic!)Bah!

If you realize you're procrastinating, go all out to break the habit.

When you're not feeling motivated, that's the problem... you "Feel" unmotivated. Don't listen to your feelings ... let your head dictate, then your feelings will follow.

Perhaps if you've been doing Triathalon too long, you're tired of it... in which case find something new to do; that can help. Join a gym - there's lots of new equipment to "play" with. :D

Then set a timetable and stick to it rigidly. "No Excuse" is my motto for the gym - when i come home from work tired, it's easy to talk myself out of it... but i just go regardless. It's paid off too -- i'm a lot fitter, and as a result i enjoy it even more!

It's worked for me...

Just make it a habit again. I sometimes go back into things too intensley and don't develop a routine like I should. Just get a rountine and stick with it and don't think about. The more you think about it, the harder it will be to do. Also, get someone to workout with you. If you can have someone to workout with (i.e. buddy, girlfriend, wife etc) it makes it much easier. Have someone to hold you accountable and it'll be easier. Hope it helps.

Conor

I have some advice that worked for me. I too was in the simliar boat of not sticking with my workout at the beginning of the year but since then I planned a vacation to hawaii in late July and that has been my motivating factor. The tropical environment, girls and beaches have been driving my motivation at the gym.

I'm much more motivated when i'm single, strange eh?;)

I joined a band so i have to be fit, cannot be obese when you're a rock star:p

The best way to stay motivated with fitness as far as I am concerned, it to have a work out partner. It is hard to get in a regimented training schedule/diet and stick with it, but if you and a like minded person can set goals together it is easier to help each other achieve those goals. Try to set short term and long term training goals to help stay motivated as you see the results unfold.
<br>
I myself have fallen out of sync in the gym, used to go 6 of 7 days a week for 2hrs a day and ate a very clean diet. I went away for a few weeks and when I came home I couldn't get back to that schedule to save my life. Now I have put an extra 6% body fat on over 8 months of bad eating and no gym ... just makes getting to the original goals even harder now! Every day we make excuses from striving toward and achieving a goal is another day behind ... so get a partner and start now!

Keeping with the workout routine can be tough....I have been working 18 hour days for the past several months and always feel like I just want to sleep at the end of the day. It is tough, but I just try and remind myself that I do not want to be a fat guy, so I get up and go. :D

You must make the time to do it easy for you

Some people are "morning" people, and some are "late" people. Me, I go to the gym at 6:30am each weekday. If I try to do it at lunchtime, or after work, I always can come up with an excuse. The hardest exercise I do is pushing off of the mattress each morning to get to the gym on time. There are a core group of 5 of us that show up as the gym opens each morning, if someone isn't there, they get grief the next morning, it helps keep us on track. The best way to keep doing it is to make it a part of your life, just like a "diet". If you only eat smart when you get fat, you'll keep getting fat. If your diet is part of your life, and you eat smart all of the time, you will not get fat, make exercise a part of your routine, and you'll be that much ahead of the game. Good luck-:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thanks everyone for the advise,
They are all EXCELLENT!!!! After reading all your advise, I picked the next sprint tri to do and that is my goal. So I have less than 2 months! I need to find someone who also wants to get into shape for Triathalons (ive had buddies who only cycle and dont help with running or swimming, and hence suffer badly with those events)......

Ill let you know how I do with my first event this year!!!! (May 23rd):D

the workout partner is great, provided they are motivated to be there everytime. If not, they become the best excuse NOT to work out.

My greatest success came when i decided to do it solo, and i did it every morning at 6am (or earlier). Great way to start your day, no distractions that interfere with your commitment to work out. Lunch or afterwork workouts are the fallbacks after the latenight, partied too much and missed my workout days which can and will happen.

Im a believer that the ONLY consistent workout is the early morning one.

Back