• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Prospective Owners, any other cars you're considering?

Hi folks,

I just joined this group a few days ago and am enjoying all the posts. I just sold my 1995 NA 300ZX and am in the market for a used NSX. I'm also considering the following:
1) 1991-1995 300zx TT
2) 1993 Supra
3) S2000

I love Japanese Imports, mainly because I'm japanese
wink.gif
I also don't care how old a vehicle is as long as its been well taken care of and in mint condition. I'm big on refinement over brute force, and I don't buy American iron anymore.

JZ

Viper?
Yes they draw a lot of attention.
So do the Power Rangers.
Drive one. Drive one a half an hour or more.
It is like driving a late 60's early 70's muscle car. They look good too and, they are the originals but, they have an excuse for thier ergonomic shortcomings and crudeness. Their age.
We have a crew of muscle cars that are set up for the quarter that cruise around on weekends. Vipers run and hide (so do I in my NSX).
I got news for you. Even in a Viper you can get your traffic light racing clock cleaned by a car that has much less money into it.
If it's your cup of tea, then wave on.
I'm interested in what the next generation Viper holds and have yet to drive, work on, or see one in person.
The pictures I've seen have smoothed away the clown shoe look.
I was excited when I first road in one but, after you settle down you start noticing all it's annoying shortcomings.
In a car that costs that much,with the available technology and manufacturing techniques it's just not something I want.
I'd rather have a original muscle car.
The 911 or Lotus are nice choices
but I would be concerned by the latter's reliability.
[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 17 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 17 October 2002).]

Awais,

Drove a friends 911 Turbo and it's great fun but doesn't have the road finesse of the NSX. My wife's 89 911 has better road feel and I think is easier to drive because of the road feel. The 97 911 2S is a great car and you can get them supercharged to 450+ horsepower. After I get the NSX TT back, I'll let you know the next time I am in Chicago and you can take a drive. By the way, the NSX gets ALOT of attention and strangely enough, so does my 01 M3. Next car, Modena or possibly SL55 AMG.

Tim

Thanks for the info Tim. At this point, the NSX is the only car I'm looking at, and of course am very interested in your TT setup. Shoot me an email when the car is ready. I'd love to check it out!

Regards,

-Awais

Currently considering:

'91-'94 NSX
cool.gif

'86-'89 Porsche 911 Carrera
up to around '95 R33 Skyline GT-R
'91-'94 Maserati Ghibli (frightening running costs!)
'96-'97 TVR Cerbera (again, frightening running costs and notoriously unreliable
frown.gif
)

Currently have (Euro) Impreza Turbo.

[This message has been edited by carl (edited 23 October 2002).]

Is there really any other choice??
smile.gif
It's NSX all the way for me!!! (however....if I had the $$$ I would pick up a Ferrari 360 Modena Spider and have an NSX at the same time)

Originally posted by JohnnyZ:
Hi folks,

I just joined this group a few days ago and am enjoying all the posts. I just sold my 1995 NA 300ZX and am in the market for a used NSX. I'm also considering the following:
1) 1991-1995 300zx TT
2) 1993 Supra
3) S2000

I love Japanese Imports, mainly because I'm japanese
wink.gif
I also don't care how old a vehicle is as long as its been well taken care of and in mint condition. I'm big on refinement over brute force, and I don't buy American iron anymore.

JZ
I would definatly reccomend the the s2000. I have an '02 and I love it with a passion. I think s2000 owners are a lot like NSX owners and most take excellent care of their cars. If you are looking for a 1/4 mile machine, I won't lie- the supra is better, but if you want to carve canyons and hear the sound of 9,000 RPMs from the open cockpit, there is nothing better than the s2k (excluding other Honda models
smile.gif
). Words can't explain how much I love my car!

I think the only other car I considered was a Lotus Esprit. You just can't beat the looks, but that's all you can't beat. Besides great 0-60 head snapping, the car is a rolling piece of mechanical nightmare. What a shame. If I had the cash, I would definitely go with a 360 spider, no question.

1) S2000 - NSX is better (1/4 mile & handling)
2) Evo 8 or Evo 8 RS Sprint - Not available; have a WRX which is slower off the line & through the twisties, but cheaper to run. I'll replace it with an STI as long as the styling doesn't attract too many thieves & cops.
3) Z06 - despite great grip and speed, not totally sorted out through turns at speed. I would probably crash it at a low speed and rip the fiberglass in two.
4) Used Viper GTS - Too late for me to learn how to drive. I'll probably spin it off a cliff in the first week (no parachute).
5) Elise - Great handling, but lousy build & a good low target for Mack trucks & SUVs. I probably won't fit into it after Thanksgiving.
6) Used ('96+)Ferrari 355 Berlinetta - Would rather spend the money maintaining other toys
7) 911 - Well engineered, ho hum.....

......A '97+ NSX seems to be the best combo of price,handling and reliability. Too bad it attracts so much attention; I'll probably have to break down & buy a Valentine 1

I'm with NSXTC on this one. My daily driver for the last 12 months had frequently been my S2K. I'm so used to this little Honda roadster's 2700-2800 lbs. curb weight that my NSX-Z, even with the spare tire and jack/tire pump removed, now feels like a Cadillac cruiser for the first few minutes of driving it when compared to the S!

But don't get me wrong. I love the quicker reflexes/instant responsiveness of the NSX-Z's handling. This, along with significantly more torque at lower revs and more ponies, is one of NSX's many fortes that the little S cannot even compare. With that being said, the S2k is NO SLOUCH in this dept. either. It's still better than the std. 2003 Boxter's handling responsiveness IMO....BUT, any way you slice it, the S still comes up a tad short to the NSX.

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 02 December 2002).]

Oops, veered off course a little bit here. Going back to the point.
smile.gif

Once you are used to the go-kart-like feel of the S2k, the X does feel a bit awkward when you try to toss it around like I do (part of my driving habit now). Naturally, my next progression after my S2k's lease expired would be the Elise. The power/weight ratio is probably more favorable than the Stock 290HP NSX. And from what I've read, it's not too difficult to mount an i-VTEC ITR motor onto the cradle, which makes this car a perfect project track racer. 200 HP+ in a 1700 lbs. package....yummy!
smile.gif

But I must ask, how's the reliability of this little roadster like? I hear that the Esprits, also made by Lotus, aren't very well-built, and were/are sadly ridden with reliability issues and suffers from poor build quality. This would be of great concern to all prospective buyers here on this board who might be in the market for an Elise but have grown to embrace Honda's impeccable reliability and will NOT trade it over performance. Anyone overseas (esp. in GB) who've might've owned Elise in the past/present that might want to shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.

(Sorry for the fragmented postings. My home PC for some reason won't let me upload long replies.)

Lets see ?Ferrari Enzo is top of my list but since theres a 2 year wait I think I will go for the Nissan ZX or any other 2 door 300hp car for that matter.

Well When I got mine, I was thinking of maybe a Ferrari 328GTS/GTB, Ferrari 348ts, or a Ferrari TR.

The last two I couldnt afford maintaince on no matter how hard I tried, the first I couldnt find a nice example of. So by the end of the day, it was Nina sitting in my garage. Dont regret it either.

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina"

Back