• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Purchased my first NSX! My drive home and some other random thoughts.

Well, after a year of looking, I finally took the plunge. I was looking for a 1997-2001 Red NSX. At first I was set on the Red/Tan combo, but after months of searching, the Black interior grew on me. So, naturally, the 2001 Red/Black that was available for sale locally in St. Louis sold the week before I called (the car had sat on the lot for 9 months and I even test drove it in the summer!). I planned to give up my search until 2007, but then in December, a 2000 Red/Tan in Minneapolis that I had inquired about this summer (when the asking price was $55K) had the price lowered. I made an offer this summer, but wasn't able to get the dealer to budge. Well, my patience paid off, as the price was dropped to $50K. I was pretty comfortable with the price, as it was a low mileage car (under 13,000) and a couple of Prime members had already looked at it for me, so I snapped it up (sorry, no pics in this thread, as I don't have a camera, but you all know what a stock NSX looks like:wink: - hopefully I can get some pics once I make some changes).

I flew up to Minnesota this Wednesday (I actually had driven up a couple of weeks earlier to look at the car - 16 hours of driving and over 1100 miles in one day!) on a one-way ticket with the plan to drive the car back the same day. Of course, my flight got delayed an hour before I could even get up there - I hoped it wouldn't be a sign of things to come!:smile:

I got in and out of the dealer within an hour and was on the road by 1:00. I had an 8 hour drive ahead of me, so I couldn't wait to get going. I had purchased a Valentine1 Radar detector a couple of weeks earlier specifically for this trip and future use of the car:wink: However, I still wasn't sure how much to trust the radar detector, plus I hoped to avoid a ticket or worse, so I took it relatively easy at first.

Once out of Minnesota, the highways opened up. For those that haven't made the trek going south out of Minnesota through Iowa, let me tell you - there is nothing around! I had a two lane highway each direction and there were hardly any cars on the road. I pushed the car a few times from 70 to the 110-130 range just so I could rev the RPM's. Wow is all I can say - the car sounds awesome when the RPM's get up there.

I ended up getting home at 9:30 without incident - the trip actually took longer than my previous drive - partially because I couldn't eat in my car:smile: plus with a Red sports car, I felt like I had a target on my back, so I took it easy most of the trip. Of course, there was hardly an law enforcement on the roads, so I could have probably pushed it a little more, but I was still working up in my confidence in that department.

The car has been sitting in my garage for the last couple of days, since we've had a steady stream of rain in St. Louis. However, when spring comes and the weather clears up, I look forward to meeting other local prime members. I'll probably drive it when the roads are clear, but St. Louis has to be due for some snow in the next month or two.

In the meantime, I'm working on my plans for the car. I've already done a ton of research on this site (I probably spent 100+ hours reading various threads on this site in the last year) to figure out what I like on this car, so here are some thoughts I have - any opinions or information that might be helpful would be appreciated (especially recommendations where to purchase some of these items and/or have the work done), as I'm still a novice when it comes to a lot of this stuff. Feel free to PM me so as not to make this thread out of control - I'll probably be posting specific questions and re-reading a lot of the threads I read earlier once I begin to make some decisions.

• Timing Belt - I guess my car would be due this year. Just wondering if fellow owners with a 2000 are planning on changing theirs this year. I hate to spend all of that money when the car only has 13,000 miles, but I'll probably bite the bullet and do that this year. If anyone has any recommendations on who to take the car to do the service, please PM me. I'd probably be willing to drive a reasonable distance to have it done right, so any neighboring cities would work (I've heard NSX techs are pretty much non-existent in the St. Louis area).
  • Wheels - I'm considering several wheel options right now, probably looking for a 17/18 setup (I'll probably make a separate post when I decide on the wheels, as I'll need some help with offsets, widths, etc). Right now, I'm considering Work Equip, Work VS-SS, Volk GT-C, and the Racing Hart M5's.
  • Lowering the Car - I definitely plan to lower the car, just not sure with what springs or shocks. In my notes that I took from my previous research, I had written down using H&R Springs and Koni sport shocks, but for the life of me, I can't remember why. Based on some other recent threads I've seen, it seems like a lot of people use Eibachs.
  • Rear Valence - I definitely plan to do the 2002 rear valence and rear lights upgrade. If anyone can recommend a body shop or Acura dealer to do this work, please PM me.
  • Body Kit - At some point, I may do something. I'll probably lower the car first and then go from there if I decide I want to do more. Right now, I really like the body kit on NSX2NV's car.
  • Stereo - I'm not sure what I'l do here, as the stock system is just so-so. I do know that I need to get a CD player. This might sound strange, but I didn't realize that my car didn't even come with a CD player when I bought it. For some reason, I had assumed that it had a CD changer, but I now realize that was optional (not that it would have been a deal breaker or anything). Hard to believe a car was made in 2000 with just a tape deck. My options now seem to be (a) add a cd changer and leave the stereo stock (b) add a different CD head - it seems like the trim of the dash is custom fit for the tape deck, so would it require cutting of the trim to fit a different head unit in there? (c) get an Ipod adapater - I wouldn't be opposed to this if there was a way to hide the ipod somewhere (say the center compartment) rather than having some clunky adapter and holder sitting out - anyone here do anything like this?
  • Clear Bra - I definitely would like to get this done so I don't have to worry as much when I'm driving. I need to go back and re-read some threads, but the one question that keeps coming to mind is can you still wax the car with a clear bra on?
  • HID Kit - From my research on here, I saw that WhiteNSX sells (or at least used to) a kit.

Thanks for bearing with me. I look forward to meeting other members on here, either locally or at NSXPO if I can make it. If anyone has any other tips for a first time owner or things I should do immediately (such as, should I join the NSXCA), feel free to PM me.

As far as this: such as, should I join the NSXCA), feel free to PM me. No PM necessary, yes you should join, and enjoy the car, it's a blast to drive, you don't see yourself coming and going on the road, and it's doesn't get "old" to own and drive like many other cars. Don't defer doing the timing belt because of mileage, it's age or mileage and you're at that age. Congrats and best of luck

Welcome !Nice intro as well.obviouslyYou have done your homework on this site,but you can also learn alot by going to some local regional club meets as well as nsxpo,so pray we have a mellow and short winter.

If anyone has any recommendations on who to take the car to do the service, please PM me. I'd probably be willing to drive a reasonable distance to have it done right, so any neighboring cities would work (I've heard NSX techs are pretty much non-existent in the St. Louis area).
I think there have been recommendations from folks in the area for local places to take the car. But they may not work on NSXs all the time. If you find you need to travel for the more complicated services like the timing belt replacement, two places up north do a lot of NSX service work: Muller's Woodfield Acura in Hoffman Estates, Illinois, about ten miles west of O'Hare Airport (847-519-9550), and Acura of Brookfield, just west of Milwaukee, Wisconsin (262-785-1918). Both do a lot of NSX work, including complicated work like rebuilding engines and transmissions. Brookfield has more experience with aftermarket modifications (superchargers, etc) and track preparation, and tends to be slightly less expensive.

should I join the NSXCA
Yes! And come to our annual dinner in the Chicago area on March 24 (click here for details). Last year, a couple of the guys from St. Louis drove up to join us.

And come to NSXPO 2007 in October! This year, it will be in the Midwest, in Ohio!

Welcome to the club. Your story reminds me of my original purchase as well.
As far as wheels, I like the RacingHart M5's, then again, I'm bias!

attachment.php

Btw, good luck finding them since they are no longer made or sold. :biggrin:

I got mine from MN too! anyway you get yours from the Acura dealer by Brooklyn Center? I remeber seeing a red one out there originally owned my a gynocologist i think. Anyways you should of got the 02+ rear valance painted in St. Paul while up there. I send all my personal cars to Burkle Honda to get painted. Yes, i send it all the way there because they do it for cheap and I have never seen a run, smudge, or dirt in the paint. Recently painted a 02+ rear valance in K.C. but not happy after spending 400 dollars paint only not installed. I'm a bit surprised you didn't get pulled over in Iowa. You only need to slow down near Mason City and Near DeMoines because anything in between is open tarmac. But, congrats on the new NSX

Here are some pictures I took yesterday. I tried to break the car in by taking it to Crate and Barrel, a couple of different malls, and Target. Of course, I parked as far away from everyone as possible!:smile: I actually thought I saw a Yellow NSX ahead of me at the Mid Rivers exit, but I missed the light so I couldn't catch up to him. Then, last night when I was down on Washington Ave., I saw a 2002+ blue NSX drive by - strange because I've only seen an NSX 3 or 4 times in the past several years.

12130100_0886-med.jpg

12130100_0887-med.jpg

12130100_0884-med.jpg

Looks good,if the front plate looks too unsightly to you and your state requires it to be present SOS (science of speed) a vendor well known has a mounting system that tucks it into the intake area below the leading edge.

Good looking NSX. You will have lots of fun with it. :smile:

RE: Clear bra (or Paint Protection Film -PPF). Definately a good idea. Yes, you can wax over the PPF after its installed - Do not use polishes or paint cleaning waxes though. Use a regular wax.

A good tip when waxing the car - use blue painters tape to tape up the "seams" where the PPF meets the paint - the cut lines on the PPF, if you will. That will prevent wax buildup on the seam. If you do get buildup on the seam - DO NOT use your fingernail to remove it - you will gouge the paint - use a microfiber cloth to rub the wax off.

BTW - Red/Black - the best combo by far. :biggrin:

Hey Congrats on a great looking color combo. Originally thats the combo I wanted. Enjoy!

Welcome to the club. Your story reminds me of my original purchase as well.
As far as wheels, I like the RacingHart M5's, then again, I'm bias!

Btw, good luck finding them since they are no longer made or sold. :biggrin:

Tell me about it. Seems like every wheel I like has been discontinued. I was really hoping the Equips might work - I saw on a thread that Science of Speed was still carrying them even though they were discontinued - but unfortunately, I found out from them today they no longer carry them. Guess I'll have to hope a set pops up, since they were probably first on my list. Or I might have to go with the Work VS-SS, since they actually still make those (I think).

Looks good,if the front plate looks too unsightly to you and your state requires it to be present SOS (science of speed) a vendor well known has a mounting system that tucks it into the intake area below the leading edge.

Yeah, I didn't mention in my post, but that was also one of the items on my list of must-haves. That front plate is just so unsightly. Thanks for the tip.

Back