• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Questions about painting interior trim

I am seriously considering having most of my trim pieces painted silver but have some questions:

1. How does one identify a good shop to do the work? I have never had any cars painted or ever needed to visit a body shop for work. What kind of things should I look for or look out for?

2. Will the paint come off easily over time? How durable would it be? Is the finish going to be like what is stock?

3. What kind of turn-around time am I looking at. I know the place is going to give me a time frame but my past experience in any kind of car related work has always been double or triple what they tell you. Since this is a small job am I looking at a really extended time frame?

4. Does anyone here know of any places in or around Pittsburgh, PA?

I called Exotic Wood Dash and asked about their dipping process but the guy on the phone was clueless. Has anyone on this board used them? I have searched the forums but really have come up with very little information. Some of the links that I found while searching for pictures are dead. The only pics I have found are from scienceofspeed.com. If any of you have and painted interior pics please repost them or e-mail them to [email protected]. I think that if done tastefully it would give my Blk/Blk 91 a nice upgrade.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Painting plastics can be difficult. There are different kinds of primers, plasticizers and paints. Prep work is vital.

I would ask to see what other plastics they have done before.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Are we talking about the trim pieces in the center console and in the doors? I thought that those were metal with some kind of thin stick-on paint film (like many others, mine has bubbled in several places) So rather than try to apply one of the fake aluminum or carbon fiber appliques over top, I thought I might be able to remove the factory stick-on stuff and then maybe have the underlying metal forms powder coated but if they're plastic, powder coating isn't going to work. Having them spray painted may look good for a while but I suspect it could be easily scratched. Are we talking about the same thing here?

------------------
91 Blk/Blk daily driver
100K+ miles & still going strong

Most of the interior trim pieces are plastic. I've seen several people who repainted with very good results. Chris @ SOS has some pictures of his silver interior on his website I believe.

I've seen some 'bubling' US panels overhere, and from what i could see, is that when you remove the 'brown' US film, you end up with the european finish (we don't have a film on it).

Mich

Originally posted by NSX2398:
Are we talking about the trim pieces in the center console and in the doors? I thought that those were metal
Are we talking about the same thing here?

Originally posted by Lud:
Most of the interior trim pieces are plastic.

Hmmm... I thought NSX2398 was correct. I thought the garnish panel on the center console that surrounds the stereo and A/C controls is metal. Isn't it? (I'm not quite as sure about the garnish panel on the arm rests that surrounds the window and power lock controls...)

I have cut my center console to install an after market head unit and can confirm that it is not metal underneath. The cross section where I had it cut clearly shows that it is plastic all the way through. I want to paint the center console, Nav Pod, door piece and gauge cluster surround. I talked with Chopjazz on this board and he recommended using Model Master hobby paint. As soon as I recieve the paint I am going to paint the underside of the center console to test it out. Hopefully with carefull attention to detail and a good clear coat top it will come out nice. If not I am probably going to find a good paint shop and have them do it. I'll post pics with the descriptions of what I did once I have it finished.

Before you paint any plastic parts wash them THOROUGHLY with soap and water. TWICE.
Make sure they are squeeky clean.
Joe Lomoriello

Thanks Joe! Unfortunately I learned that lesson the hard way from trying to paint other plastic things in the past. I also use rubbing alcohol after I clean it in order to remove any oils that may be on the plastic. I really hope I don't mess this up!

After you're done with the color coat(s) use a clear coat for longevity. Clears are available in glossy, semi-gloss and matte finishes.

Ya I am debating between using glossy or a matte finish. I know that the matte will probably look better in the long run but I don't want it to diminish the metallic silver look. I need to experiement!

Back