• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

quicker steering ratio??

that aformentioned "vagueness" may actually be a design feature intended for a streat car. the thinking behind it is that you would want to minimize the driver's twitchy inputs and effects of road irregularities to keep the car from hunting side to side. even if the above is not true, the new design will decrease the 'dead spot' in an amount proportionate to overall steering quickness increase.

My old '84 Corvette has quick steering, designed for track use. Its wonderful on twisites, etc. But, on a 3 or 4 hour road trip the twitchiness is downright tiring. When I go from the NSX to it, and hit the first turn, I have to keep saying to myself "don't turn the wheel, don't turn the wheel,..." so I don't run into the curb. Its that much of a quicker steering ratio.

For the track - that ratio would be wonderful on the NSX. For the street, it would be nice if the NSX had a somewhat quicker ratio.

I don't think he continued, last time a spoke with 710 was at the Nurburgring meeting back in '10 and he was very busy with building his new house and work.

Doh. I hope all is well with him and maybe he'll be able to get back on it. I'll be waiting! :biggrin:

Bumpy de bump...

ONLY thing I would really like to change on the car. I have a fast rack on my AE86 and the NSX feels down right lazy and old compared.

I'm also very interested in this. If one hasn't been designed, it would be great if the original brain stormers could share their work with us, so we can pick up where they left off. I have access to some machine shops and would be glad to pursue this further.

Mike B

Has anything been updated on this? @liftnot are you interested in developing something?

Jone, thx for thinking of us but the short answer is not anytime soon.

Even back in NPTI w/ an army of engineers, we did not make our own steering rack for the GTP cars. we used an existing vendor. everything was custom and low qty = $$$$$. We spent a lot of money but we won.

P2F is too small to carry on a heavy project like this. 710 has done a lot of great work and someone can carry on from where he left off. even then, IMO, the price to qty ratio is unfavorable. We'd done a simple project of the alternator relocating kit to lower the CG, @~$750/kit Qty 20, no one was interested. Lesson learned.

However, pretend we do want to pursuit this, we would contact these guys first http://www.steering-racks.co.uk/ or Woodward or someone who are in the steering biz as the testing along would be lengthy and costly. A pad on the back unfortunately can not sustain a business. Something not a small business can bare.

We agree to folks above mentioning other "easy/less-expensive" methods to masking the ratio problem. Another angle is to perhaps lessen the weight of the car at the ends to make the car behave differently and more "toss-able(?)" so you may try to take a different line to execute the tight turns(?) to see what it does. What we are saying is given the ratio is fixed and unlikely to change, maybe we can look other ways to minimize its limit by changing the behavior of the car or a different driving style(much easier done). We can't say for sure lessen the weight is the trick but we do know when making a car lighter at critical locations, everything benefits.

Really it seems the thing to do with respect to the earlier, non-ps cars, would be to find a car with the desired steering ratio, and then make that rack fit the car. The location in which it mounts is fairly open, so if, say a MKII MR2 non-ps rack was the ticket, get one from a 'junkyard and see what it would take to make it fit/function.

an adapter kit seems it would be far less overhead for someone to manufacture than an entirely new steering rack assembly.

If anyone is still interested in a quick rack, I have been in contact with people at Quaife to build a quick rack pinion kit for the manual rack.

Quaife needs an order of 30 kits to build it, so I'm trying to round up 30+ folks to get these built.

A kit would be in the $200 - $300 range. More info in the thread: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/215217-Quaife-quick-ratio-manual-steering-rack

Let me know if interested via PM or on the new thread.

Feel free to chime in on the new ratio analysis as well http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...teering-rack?p=2026783&viewfull=1#post2026783

Back