• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rainy day drifting in the NSX; video

I was supposed to go to ButtowWillow this last weekend but the weather called for heavy rain. I didn't feel like risking an off in the heavy muck of Buttonwillow so I slapped a new set of tires on my street wheels took off the wing and splitter and rented the WSIR balcony skidpad myself.

It was POURING rain with lightning when I showed up, track edges were all 8 inch deep mud lakes and there were pretty deep puddles all over the skid pad. I hung out till things eventually dried out just enough to actually get some sort of front end traction and not just understeer. Before I'd left home I taped a note to the console that said "no clutch kicking, no e-brake" :]

It was really tuff to hold any sort of angle or connect any sort of transition, especially in the wet/dry conditions. I could really feel the weight of the back half in these types of situations. Anyways I spend a good 2 hours connecting big left to right-hander countersteer doughnuts and practicing settling the car after getting it out of shape. All in all it was certainly a good time, I think i learned some stuff and wanted too keep going but my better judgment intervened and persuaded me to get it home while I was ahead. The next day I spent a good 3 hours scrubbing tire powder paste and grime off of everything under the car. I say it was worth it but I dont know if ill be doing that again. :]

Anyways, cut together a quick thing, nothing special, as i was getting dizzy looking at 2 hours of doughnuts. I just love the sound.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AU6IlNyUNmM?list=UUFJJwYbxKUlQQPR6_zLa_LA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>

Last edited:
Great idea! I've been hunting around for parking lots to do this one day when it rains.

I think more than a few of us want to do the same thing!
Thanks for posting the fun.

Lucas

P.S. I watched a number of your other videos. Well done, thanks for those too.
Are your AE86, RSX, & NSX all tracktoys:tongue:? they look fun.

Thanks man, yeah I track quite a bit and fortunate enough to be able to do it in a few cars.

As far as maintenance I just always flush the trans axle fluid after drifting, otherwise just the standard stuff.

Personall, I just use the honda white cap and change it semi frequently if tracking. I know a lot of other people recommend GM additive but for a stock transmission with a stock LSD you cant go wrong with the manufactures suggestion.

This video should be a 'must watch' for all those living in locations that had snow this year. Just find an empty parking lot; switch off the TCS; and have fun .. no rental required.

Hey Will,

I am looking to pick up a fire extinguisher for my car to be used with the Dali bracket.

Which fire extinguisher and size did you get for your car?

You can use any extinguisher with the dali bracket, personally I bought the HALguard http://www.h3rperformance.com/hg250r.htm 250r the agent isn't sticky and can be washed off unlike regular fire extinguisher powder.

I also bought this quick release http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all10510?seid=srese1&gclid=CLSgwK3B_rwCFcURMwodTnQAtg

I also bought a big red super visible pull switch for the extinguisher disconnect, something that i could see and get too in an emergency and with gloves on. something like this, i had to drill a hole so I could attach it to the key ring on the pull pin but it does the job nicely. https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=8596

Back