• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rec on cool strollers

HTN

Experienced Member
We are approx 90 days away from D day.
Finally getting started with making some purchases for the baby.
I am so lost on finding baby strollers/ travel systems.
So far we like the jogging ones with big wheels.
Any suggestions?

I don't know much about one stroller over another , but , I can tell you a GREAT place to buy one of your liking and save some coin.

We have a store near me called ' Once upon a child ' . They specialize in used consignment items for children. When my brother was shopping for things for my newborn nephew he found out that they get a lot of strollers from people who trade them in for other things once the child was too big for a stroller.

What was really amazing was how many brand-new , still in the plastic wrap strollers they had for sale for about half of what they cost new. A really good stroller can run you $100-$200 or even more. The reason they would have so many new strollers was because a lot of families would receive strollers as gifts from other members of their family just before the baby was due and had already bought one before receiving the gifted strollers.

They had some really nice high-end brand-new strollers for cheap at the store all the time and it was easy to get a deal.

This is a chain store , I don't know if they are any in your area but , maybe you can find something like them or even check at a Goodwill store for any new strollers. There seems to be a lot of unused strollers out here that were given as gifts.

Check this site to see if there are any stores in your area.
http://www.ouac.com/

I bought a Bugaboo Cameleon stroller, very nice, but the cost was more than its worth. Good points is fits the Peg Perego Car Seat for a new born. Has an aluminum chassis and suspension on each wheel of a soft ride.

In infancy you pretty much carry them around in the "throne" which is the car seat/micro crib they seem to spend alot of time in.Peg is good but Britax is what we prefer.Once they can hold up thier own heads a light collapseable stroller is key and I think Macleran has solid units.We have fancy cushy massive jogger strollers and we used them once or twice:rolleyes:

We used the Graco Travel System and it has held up pretty well over the last 18 months of use. So much of the decision will be finding something that fits your expected use. The Graco system we have is pretty solid, easy to use with multiple bases for the car seat, roomy stroller, but not the lightest of them. Like John said they spend a lot of time in the car seat portion initially and after a few months when they get heavier that car seat weighs a TON when carrying them around so weight is a factor too. We also ended up getting a head/neck support replacement that fit more snugly around her head than the stock one which I'd look into as well. I rarely see anyone using the jogging strollers unless they're actually running FWIW.

I'd also recommend the Kiddopotamus DuoMat to protect your car's seats too. You end up strapping down the car seats/bases so tightly that it's worth getting these to protect the seat if it's a nice car.

The wife ending up getting a lot of good info from other moms past experiences on a website called www.justmommies.com. The only downside is she ended up spending a ton of time on there researching every last thing.

Last edited:
I don't think a jogging stroller should be your main stroller. A lot of them aren't going to fold small and are not that adjustable (for your kid). In addition if the front wheel does not turn you're going to get frustrated actually trying to jog with it.

So I would say get a good basic stroller. It needs to have trays and sippy holders up front and obviously a cover to shield them from the sun. The ones mentioned are good. You're kid will spend 90% of the time in it, even if you do jog. I think spending big money on a stroller is a waste. Get a good name brand and then watch the garage sales and craigslist for a jogger. You'll find them much cheaper then new.

And of course have fun and good luck with your new child.

We have been so overwhelmed with all the research.
At Babies R Us today, we thought we were in a different country. There's a million choices for diapers, nail clippers, sheets... I can literally go on forever. Funny thing is my wife and I took a really long time deciding on which bath tub is adequate. Man, back in Vietnam.... we took baths in the rain. LOL

Life is Good. We are healthy, we live have a home, a baby on the way, and an NSX. I feel as if "I'm King of the World"

BTW... my pregnant wife is still driving the NSX as much as she can. People really look at us funny when they see her get into it.

BTW... my pregnant wife is still driving the NSX as much as she can. People really look at us funny when they see her get into it.

Tell Her to enjoy it for as long as she can. I have only been in the Ferrari 3 times since our daughter was born, 17 months ago. :frown:

As far as strollers: I use the baby trend car seat and bought the stroller that the car seat clicks into. This was very convenient when Lania was younger and would sleep for most of the day. (You can go about your day without waking the baby up to change seats.) Now that she is older, we bought the Megellan. This is a really nice stroller for a fairly reasonable price. This was one of the few strollers that sat up straight and laid flat without a lot of steps or forceful motions. (Jerking a sleeping baby around to adjust the seat is never fun) The only thing I don't like about the Megellan is there are no cup holders. However, I bought the bag attachment for it, that has bottle holders.

Good luck to the both of you, and congratulations.

From Renee

We went through the same thing with our first. We ended up getting a stroller that doesn't go with the infant carrier for the car. I don't know why we did that. It never crossed my mind until after the baby was born. We'd go to the store and have to take her out of her car infant carrier and transfer her into the stroller. It's not alot of fun when she is asleep.

My advice would be to get a matching stroller/infant carrier combo so you can just undo the infant carrier from the base in the car and clip it right into the stroller. It will be very handy for the first several months.

I would also suggest testing the height of the handle on any stoller you look at. I'm 6'4" and have to bend over to push these things. Not a big deal, but pretty uncomfortable when spending the day at the zoo, mall, Disney land, etc... Some have adjustable handles.

We have a jogging stroller that we use every now and then, but not very often. We also have a double stroller. It's a sit and stand kind, but those won't be of any use to you until you have 2nd child. We've used that one more than any others I think.

Wow. I can't believe I just posted about strollers.....lol

Last edited:
I'm surprised that there has been 11 posts and no one has made cracks about carbon fiber parts, lowered, FI, aftermarket wheels, custom exhaust, etc...

Two simple stroller observations:

1) Make sure to get one with a single, wraparound handle rather than two separate handles. The ones with two handles are impossible to steer with one hand, and with a baby, you will need all the free hands you can get.

2) An integrated cupholder is a must -- if it's a jogging stroller, you'll need it for your water; if it's just a mall-cruiser, you'll need it for your Starbucks. Either way, it's much more convenient than trying to hold the drink all the time.

check into "JEEP" brand stuff (really)- it is 'all terrain' and the basket is in fact a car-seat which takes care of 2 issues at once.

Damn, you guys are getting old

:)

We are running a Chicco Key Fit 30 "extreme" as our car seat

http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/car-seats/keyfit-30-extreme.aspx

It is basically a basket style child carrier that clicks into a base that you can secure in your vehicle. If you have an older car without the modern child restraints (like our 4-Runner) then the seat itself can be secured using the center lap belt. Also- if you travel by plane it is an easy thing to take the carrier with you and strap it into your rental car without having to bring along the base.

Lila seems to like it, and she has been riding around in it since 1 month old when we got it. We have gotten a lot of use out of it as the harness is adjustable to 3 shoulder positions, and I have only used up 2 in the last 10 months.

We initially combined this with a generic stroller from Baby Trend at the low low cost of $70.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2327597

We used that for a few months, but then discovered that we really didn't need it. Most of the time we just take Lila out of the car and either
a. put her carrier on a shopping cart
or
b. take her out of the carrier and strap her to ourselves using one of our "baby carriers"
We have 2 baby carriers- I have a "BabyHawk" which I got from a coworker as a gift, and features customized patterns (tattoo designs on one side, and koi fish on the other)

http://www.babyhawk.com/

Shannon has an "Ergo Carrier" which is more like a back pack and has snap in fasteners and pockets built in

http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/

We switch these back and forth and have had great luck with them.

Lila rode on the front facing toward us for her first 7 months or so, and we have recently switched her to riding on our backs- back pack style. She loves it, and let me tell you it is WAY easier to navigate through a crowd with her strapped to us. The Stroller was a total PITA to deal with in crowded situations.

My wife Shannon used to work for an Attachment parenting baby boutique when we lived in Chicago (Be-Bye-Baby) and these were carriers that they endorsed.

Someone recommended shopping at consignment stores above- I'd recommend that too. Lots of gently used stuff is available for pennies on the dollar. It adds up pretty quickly.

Best of luck to you- Parenthood is the best thing to ever happen to me, I hope your experience is the same.

P

we have a bugaboo bee... you can see my detailed review on epinions.com. it's pretty easy to lug around and is pretty nice looking too.

Just came back from another trip to Babies R Us. This time I'm more equipped with some knowledge. Thanks to you guys.
I had also checked out the consignment shop Cragar mentioned. Very good pricing.

That would be Dy-no-mite.... if I can find a carbon fiber stroller, lowerd, and body kit.

You're probably well aware of this already but I would highly recommend that you don't buy a used car seat/travel system. Picking up a stroller second hand is fine but you never know what's happened previously with the car seat and if it was involved in an accident they are not designed to be used after that. It certainly isn't a chance I would take anyway with something so important. Not only that but many of them will also have "expiration dates" as well. I believe this primarily comes down to the straps which only are rated for a certain time period, just like you'd find on harnesses for a race car application.

Plenty of good suggestions on here and like I said before it's just matching up what you're anticipated use is to the most appropriate stroller/travel system. Definitely talk with some other parents about things like this to get advice as a bunch of the items you hear about "needing" aren't really necessary. The other thing is each kid is different so what works for one person may not be the best option for another.

You're probably well aware of this already but I would highly recommend that you don't buy a used car seat/travel system. Picking up a stroller second hand is fine but you never know what's happened previously with the car seat and if it was involved in an accident they are not designed to be used after that. It certainly isn't a chance I would take anyway with something so important. Not only that but many of them will also have "expiration dates" as well. I believe this primarily comes down to the straps which only are rated for a certain time period, just like you'd find on harnesses for a race car application.

Excellent post. Safety first especially for the baby.

On that same note , check into your local PD for car seat proper mounting guidelines for safety. A lot of police departments will have a booth set up at a local health fair promoting proper child seat mounting in YOUR vehicle.

Apparently this is more difficult than you would think , police depts report that over 80% of the child seats they see at one of these events are installed incorrectly.

Last edited:
699316_8d5d_625x1000.jpg

Back