• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Rec on cool strollers

Excellent post. Safety first especially for the baby.

On that same note , check into your local PD for car seat proper mounting guidelines for safety. A lot of police departments will have a booth set up at a local health fair promoting proper child seat mounting in YOUR vehicle.

Apparently this is more difficult than you would think , police depts report that over 80% of the child seats they see at one of these events are installed incorrectly.

Also a good point. I know locally both our police and fire departments will inspect your car seats for you to make sure they're properly installed anytime. We had ours checked at a fair like you mentioned and heard these same statistics that most don't properly install their carseats (thankfully we had everything done right). That's another reason I feel the "base" systems are nice because you can install the base once and pretty much leave it alone, whereas a carseat you need to make sure you install it correctly each time. From what I understand there are a number of things people typically do wrong like:

1. Not tightening up the base/seat enough. You should be pushing/kneeling on the base to compress it into the car's seat as much as possible and tightening the belt/anchors really tight. This avoids any slop/movement and whiplash in case of an accident. Honestly this is where it matters who installs it because I know my wife is pretty strong, but she can't get this as secure and tight as I can.
2. It's also recommended to have something underneath the base/seat to keep the base/seat from slipping on the car's seat. I mentioned that Kiddopotamus DuoMat before, but you can also use very effectively an anti-slip matting that you find in a Target/Walmart which you'd normally see installed in kitchen drawers. This is especially important with leather seats as they can be more conducive to sliding than a cloth seat. The Kiddopotamus product will help protect your seat too, whereas the matting just keeps it from slipping but you'll leave a nice indent in the seat
3. The correct angle on seats is also needed in case of accident. Most of these carseats have an indicator showing whether you're in the correct range of angle to provide the best protection.

One other note is make sure you get this installed correctly before going to the hosptial too. I don't know about where you're delivering but at our hospital they will come out and check your carseat to make sure it's safe and secure before allowing you to leave after delivery when being discharged.

Tell Her to enjoy it for as long as she can. I have only been in the Ferrari 3 times since our daughter was born, 17 months ago. :frown:

As far as strollers: I use the baby trend car seat and bought the stroller that the car seat clicks into. This was very convenient when Lania was younger and would sleep for most of the day. (You can go about your day without waking the baby up to change seats.) Now that she is older, we bought the Megellan. This is a really nice stroller for a fairly reasonable price. This was one of the few strollers that sat up straight and laid flat without a lot of steps or forceful motions. (Jerking a sleeping baby around to adjust the seat is never fun) The only thing I don't like about the Megellan is there are no cup holders. However, I bought the bag attachment for it, that has bottle holders.

Good luck to the both of you, and congratulations.

From Renee

And there is not a single stroller that is worth a damn when you get to the mall and the stroller is not with you. :tongue::biggrin:

From steve

699316_8d5d_625x1000.jpg

sold!!!

There's really no one stroller that does everything. We have three.

We have one single Dreamer Design jogging stroller with oversize wheels.

One single easy to use Peg Perego stroller that's light and small and collapses down very small

and the one that my wife uses 99% of the time even today with our 3 and 4 year olds is one similar to this (looks like the no longer make the model we have):

http://valcobaby.com/products/strollers.html?tx_productcatalog_pi1[uid]=4

It also has a car seat adapter, so when my daughter was a baby, we could snap her baby carrier out of the car and snap it right into the adapter on one side. So my son would sit on one side and the baby carrier would snap in right next to him. It weighs a friggin ton, but it's built like a tank.

Back