• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

received an odd check from overseas buyer

Keep us informed...I am dying to know what the buyer;) says when you tell him to forget it. Excuse the ignorance, but I don't know anything about Bank One Cashier's checks. Is there anyway for the criminal to pass real funds to the seller, but just from another person's account? That way, the check will clear, but it won't be the buyers money and ultimately be disputed. Am I impaired or is this at all possible? Again, I apologize in advance for any illucidity regarding criminal vehicle importing. :p

jlindy said:
Is there anyway for the criminal to pass real funds to the seller, but just from another person's account? That way, the check will clear, but it won't be the buyers money and ultimately be disputed. Am I impaired or is this at all possible?
Absoltutely Jeff. It happens thousands of times every day. In fact, it happened to me a few years ago; wife had her car broken into (left her wallet in car:mad:) and the theives stold cash but left her check book, but what we diddn't know is that they had taken 5 checks from the back of the check book.:eek: A few weeks later we got our statement, noticing that there were some checks written for high ticket sporting goods items. Long story short...I got ahold of one of the stores videon tapes showing the theives checking out as they wrote the checks. They were kids, so I had a neighbor look at the tape, and he knew who they were. BUSTED! Kids fessed up to over 100 thefts in the surrounding neighborhood.

Each state has differing time limits on check fraud relative to how long the consumer has to report and be given credit back to their account. Some states like California are very generous, something like a year.

heres the latest reply

After emailing the guy back telling him his wife's medical problems were of no concern to me, and that he's not going to get the car or any money until my bank is 100% certain of the funds, he wrote me back this email.

Hello my friend
How's business and your family ?,l got your mail and l appreciate your concern,but my wife has been take care of and she's getting better now now and l give thanks to God,l have contact my client and my shipping agent that you have receive your payment,immediately that check clear l want you inform me so we can complete other arrangments as soon as possible.l hope to hear from you soonest.
Thanks and God Bless
Woods

Yea, I hope to hear from you soonest as well bastard!!...Actually I'm really not that upset about this whole thing, its more ammusing to me now than anything else. Check still has 7 business days to clear, but truthfully I'm expecting the phone to ring anyday asking me why I tried cashing a forged check.

Todd

Re: heres the latest reply

When the check bounce, you will be charged a returned check fee ~$20.

Shotkaller said:
Check still has 7 business days to clear, but truthfully I'm expecting the phone to ring anyday asking me why I tried cashing a forged check.

Todd

May I suggest you read the FOLLOWING before doing anything... about half way down you'll see that one style is that they send phony cashier's checks in hopes of you sending back your hard earned Green Backs!

Order in Big Quantity
---------------------

The scammer shall send a few cashier checks for your products to develop mutual confidence. One day you may receive an order for a large quantity of your products from your trusted Nigerian partner. You will read a plausible story for urgency. You can’t afford to lose your business so you ship the products before the cashier check clears. The cashier check is fake this time.

This has been a major problem throughout Africa for several years... they're taking oblivious and greedy US citizens for millions!

It is sad that these obviously creative people waste their time and energy on scams instead of using that energy for a real profession. :(

THIS IS A FRAUD!!! DON'T DO IT!!! This happened to a friend of mine and he was keen on this scam. My advice is to call the FBI and/or the Secret Service to report this. Needless to say, the guy disappeared when my friend informed him about this. THe FBI or Secret Service cannot do anything unless you actually lost money however, that was the result in my friends case. Maybe they can pinpoint something in your case.... Anyone else have any ideas?

P.S. I think they use E-bay and similar sites to pick their victims.

I'll read the resot of the posts now,
Kenji

Shotkaller said:
With all the talk off fraudulent checks and buyers I would like to seek all of your advice as to whether I am being fooled or not. I have been emailing a guy overseas for 3 months now and we have agreed on a price. He was supposed to send me a cashiers check immediately but always had excuses for not doing it. Finally 2 days ago I received a registered letter from France with a cashiers check from Bank One in Illinois for the full amount plus an additional $10,000 for shipping. I emailed the buyer and told him the bank said it would take nine days for the check to clear. Not to my surprise, I received an email from him today asking for $5,000 immediately for medical purposes. Here is the email, tell me if I am being frauded, I will certainly not give him any money until the check clears, and I will only give him the remainder of the shipping costs, also he is asking me to do something I have no idea what he is talking about concerning buying another car for him and shipping it to him, I just dont understand what this guy is thinking. Here is the email.

Goodday

How is business and family ? l am very grateful that you have received you payment,my client called me to comfirm if you have received your payment of which l told him and explain the situation of things.My wife got an accident yesternight ,a client of my was owning me money,l ask my wife to go and collect the money,so l can export some of my goods, so on her way going she had an accident and was seriouly injured and she was admitted at the hospital and l have used the money with me for a business and am not boyant for now, So please l want you to send me $5,000USD from your account to enable me pay her hospital bills. when the money clear from the bank you will deduct out of the money you will send for the shipping arrangment,hence l want you to select me a clean cool car and l have another client who need a Camry 2002 of which the payment will be ready immediately you get it and send the pictures of the car and the last asking price ?.

Please send the money via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANFER
N*1
Name: Mr. Olusola Ajao David
Street Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Amount : $5,000USD
COUNTRY ZIP code :- ( BJCT) REPUBLIC OF BENIN WEST AFRICA .
Send me the WESTERN UNION CONTROL AND TEST QUESTION AND ANSWER and the name you used to send the money.l hope to hear from you soonest and have a wonderful day !!!

Thanks and God Bless !

I X'ed out the adress, seems kind of strange, let me know what you think

Todd

While everybody thinks this is fraud including Shotkaller, how is he in any danger if he is taking all the correct precautions? Getting assurance that the check is real from the bank, that it clears, that he won't be responsible for anything down the road. If he goes through a third party (bank) and gets the go ahead in writing, is he still responsible?

If the bank would have cleared the check, and i would have sent this person money, I would have been out. The bank will clear a check in 9 business days, but they actually have 30 days to fully clear it, and sometimes it takes that long to find out a check is counterfeit. In my case I was lucky, the bank discovered it was counterfeit after only 4 days. The only inconvienence was my bank thinking i was responsible for this fraudulent check, and shuting down my account. Although I was not responsible, and I did nothing wrong, a fake check in a large amount such as $45,000 will make any bank be suspicious of you.

After having my account frozen for over a week, and my branch manager telling me he couldnt help me and didnt want to help me, I finally did get this resolved. I went into a different US Bank branch that I frequently use and the branch manager there was willing to work with me. He understood my problem, but he could not remove the block on my account, only my original branch manager could do that. However, he was able to close out that account and open me up an account through his branch. This US Bank manager really saved his company, because I was about to raise hell on this company, which also threatened to send my name to ChexSystems, the credit reporting agency that almost all banks use to check customers banking history.

I did write this thief who lives in West Africa and explained to him that not all Americans are rich and I did my best to expain to him that he was not helping himself or his contry with his fraud scheme. Last week I sold my car for real, and the cashiers check cleared, so my big mess is all over with.

Todd

After having my account frozen for over a week, and my branch manager telling me he couldnt help me and didnt want to help me, I finally did get this resolved. I went into a different US Bank branch that I frequently use and the branch manager there was willing to work with me. He understood my problem, but he could not remove the block on my account, only my original branch manager could do that. However, he was able to close out that account and open me up an account through his branch. This US Bank manager really saved his company, because I was about to raise hell on this company, which also threatened to send my name to ChexSystems, the credit reporting agency that almost all banks use to check customers banking history.

What a hassle!

I'm glad you got everything resolved.

I just remembered and thought I should pass on as advice what happened when I bought my NSX with a cashier's check:

Don't accept a cashier's check that is not drawn in front of you in a bank.

That's what the seller did in my case. We went to the bank, I went up to the counter and arranged for the check to be drawn, the girl held up the check so the seller could see it was real, and then gave it to me. We left the bank and traded paper for car, both of us happy and secure in the transaction.

Yeah, it means you can't easily sell a car to someone in another state. Find a pal you trust to go to the bank with them if you have to, to be with them when they draw it and mail it and don't let the check leave their sight, even into a pocket.

It's what I'm going to do if I ever (godforbid) sell my NSX for cash.

Shotkaller,

It's good to be updated with scams, makes you a smarter seller at the very least. I'm glad that you finally got a serious buyer.

On the other hand, I'm sorry to hear that the scammer still indirectly frozed your bank account and caused you all this trouble in running around fixing the problem.

Good luck in the future.

I also work in a bank and our operations areas have attended numerous FBI seminars on this very thing. It is definitely a scam and even if the money order is not counterfeit the purchaser can call the bank and stop payment for any number of reason - the dog ate it, I left it in my pocket and washed the pants, I lost it, etc. etc. etc. etc. The Bank will stop payment and reissue a new money order and pesto your screwed.

KNOW YOUR BUYER AND DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE!!!

Scam

Why would the hospital need the money immediately? If his wife was hurt very bad she would not be out that quick.

I say scam!!!!!

Gale

I have had two similar encounters in the past few weeks.

Here is an email I got from an autotrader listing for my 325i, which is still for sale:

BUYER INFO
Name: donald hawkins
E-Mail Address: [email protected]
Comments: Hello,I am an auto dealer based in
Spain and am interested
in buying you car please forward me your final
selling ! price and indicate if
you will accept a cashiers check for
payment.please
getback to me.ASAP.Donald.

Here is my response:

Donald-

Wire transfer only for overseas buyers.

I am not interested in getting a cashier's check for an amount over the selling price, and under no circumstances would I return any part of that money due to some sudden illness in your family.

If you are a serious dealer, you can handle a wire transfer.

Have a nice day.

No surprise I haven't heard from "Donald"

The other was a West African based scam that involved some foreign investment. Unfortunately, I deleted that one so I can't post it here.

Long story short, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

I've always answered these types of emails as follows:

"I'll be sure to get you all of my information as soon as possible. I love getting scammed!"

I actually got a response back from someone that said. "Thanks for your quick response. I look forward to doing business with you"

go figure LOL :eek: :eek: :p

Joel said:
I say make a xerox copy of you giving him the middle finger with a big "SCREW YOU BUDDY!" sign at the bottom.

I hate stuff like this! :mad:

LOL. What a great idea. Imagine his excitement when he gets the envelope thinking a check is inside. When he opens it, Smile to a frown.

Back