• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replaced my timing belt and water pump

I finally finished everything with this job. I worked on it for a couple of hours here and there starting Saturday. I spent today re-adjusting the valves so it would have been done yesterday if it were not for that. I used a combination of the PDF I downloaded from Prime on doing these along with the shop manual.

Mine is a 95 with 36K on it. This was by no means an easy job, but not exceptionally difficult either, patience is a virtue here...lol :biggrin: I would not suggest this job be done by someone unless they are very confident in their mechanical abilities as I can see how this job could go wrong easily. :eek:

In my opinion the hardest parts of this job were, getting the lower belt cover out and back in, the rear was not so easy either, and getting the rear valve cover back on was quite a chore. While I had they coolant system drained I replaced all six of the large diameter cooling hoses. I got a little over 3 and 1/2 gallons of coolant out. Thanks to LarryB for suggesting in another thread to use silicone spray lube to put the hoses back on, it made it a lot easier. I am getting much more proficient at adjusting these valves, the first few took me a bit, but it got faster after that. I put new OEM spark plugs in since it was easy access.

I just got back froma short test drive and she did pretty well. My warm idles seems to have smoothed out a bit compared to before. Now if I could just figure out why she has a hesitation when she is cold I would be pretty darn happy. I have to admit that I am pretty darn happy everything works fine and I got it back together properly. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

How did you insure the rear bank cams were lined up?

I see in another post that you did a valve adjustment, did you have to make any changes?

Drew

I used 3/16 inch punches to make sure the cams were at the proper position, and I rechecked frequently to ensure they had not moved. There are places on each cam for the punches to check when #1 cylinder is at TDC.

I adjusted the valves at least twice before I was happy with the settings. It is pretty easy following the manual as far as everything being in the proper position. The front and rear exhaust valves were the biggest pain, the rear being the worst. Just takes a little patience, but I think doing almost anything to this motor takes that...lol

Back