• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Replacing coolant hoses?

I have just become the owner of my 4th 1991 NSX :) A 2 owner,California car, totaly stock, sebring silver with 50k miles, I sold my last NSX 4 and a half years ago to help finace my move from Atlanta to Maui Hawaii.

It occurs to me that all of our 91 NSXs are now over 15 years old. To that end I would think that it is probably wise to replace any and all stressed rubber componants on the car. My new car has recently had its timing belt, waterpump and all belts and hoses in the engine bay replaced. So I am thinking I should replace the remaining 6 coolant connecting hoses under the car and 2 radiator hoses in the front. I have been quoted $600 to replace these hoses. Can anyone comment on the need for these to be replaced and if this is a fair price?

Tom Croly
Maui Hawaii

Tom-

When I did the PPI for my 91 before purchasing last week, the tech stated that of ALL the things that needed to be fixed, these coolant hoses were most important(Assuming TB/WP are done already)
I picked up my car and drove it home 1000+ miles. The tech stated that he would be very uncomfortable with me driving home without these being replaced. He's an honest guy.
Replacing these hoses requires a coolant flush as well, which I'm sure is included in your quote. I would get them done.
Good luck.

You should replace all 23 of them. And $600 would about around right for the labor costs.

I found that the most deterioriated hoses of the bunch were the ones going to the oil filter housing. They are the hardest to see and the biggest pain to replace.

2x O rings on the radiator that should be replaced and 2x crush washers on the bottom hard pipes.

If you do a search there are many many DIY's on the process.

Last edited:
drew said:
You should replace all 23 of them. And $600 would about around right for the labor costs.

Drew,

Any upgraded hoses available? What parts do I need to order?

drew said:

I found that the most deterioriated hoses of the bunch were the ones going to the oil filter housing. They are the hardest to see and the biggest pain to replace.

2x O rings on the radiator that should be replaced and come crush washers on the bottom hard pipes.

I have counted 11 hoses on the reciept where the timing belt and water pump were replced and I can see the 6 hoses under the car and the 2 radiator hoses, but I am not sure which the other 4 are? The $600 quote was only for replacing the 6 under the car and the ones in the front. The engine bay hoses have all been replaced.

If you could point me in the right direction for the DIY search I would appreiciate it.

Tom

The two drain plugs in the aluminum hoses, center tunnel, use crush washers to seal them:).

Regards,
LarryB

My car has only 27xxx miles should I also replace the hoses too (a 1991) when I take it in for the water pump / timing belt replacement? Or would the tech advise this?

drew said:

2x O rings on the radiator that should be replaced and 2x crush washers on the bottom hard pipes.

Thanks for all the info. I had Autowave in Huntington Beach, CA (very nice guys) finish changing all of my coolant hoses. For the record the cost was $1116 for all 23 hoses including all parts and labor (8 hours).

Tom

jond said:
When should they be replaced? After 5 years, 10 years?
I think it's a good idea to replace them at the same time as replacing the timing belt and water pump. It's the longest service interval (6 years or 90K miles on the '91-96, 7 / 105K on the '97-05).

One thing you also might want to replace that often, particularly on a car that has been tracked, is the crankshaft pulley. A 15-year-old crankshaft pulley can come apart, and as it does, it can wear through the timing belt cover and cause the timing to jump, destroying the engine. BTDT...

Back