• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

RIM Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me how some companies have managed to survive this long.

At my last job, I was given a Blackberry Curve. It kept hanging whenever I used Bluetooth(in other words daily). I tried the latest firmware update. No luck. IT gave me another one. Same problem.
Talked with 2 friends with the same phone and they had the exact same problem too. 2 months and 3 more firmware updates later it finally stopped hanging. Putting a product out to market before it
is ready=FAIL in my book.

Last edited:
Meh, it looks as if they've responded to him. Time will tell, if they were smart, they'd bring him on to be a special advisor. Pay him a few G's and call it a day.

Seriously Jimbo? You think the PB is a failure because ONE guy complains?

Let me explain to you how this would go if this was an open letter to steve jobs. First, he would tell you you were doing it wrong.
Second, he would tell you that you will do it however he wants you to do it.

RIM, on the other hand, acknowledges this guys complaint and even took the time to write him back

Seriously, try an be a little more objective.

Last edited:
Meh, it looks as if they've responded to him. Time will tell, if they were smart, they'd bring him on to be a special advisor. Pay him a few G's and call it a day.

What? This is a COLLEGE KID at the university of waterloo. You think cause he wrote a letter he should now be a special advisor? Really? Seriously?

So If I write a letter to Ferrari complaining about thier products -- wait... a product that ISNT EVEN OUT... then they should bring me on as a special advisor?

Seriously?

Seriously Jimbo? You think the PB is a failure because ONE guy complains?

Let me explain to you how this would go if this was an open letter to steve jobs. First, he would tell you you were doing it wrong.
Second, he would tell you that you will do it however he wants you to do it.

RIM, on the other hand, acknowledges this guys complaint and even took the time to write him back

You are such a fanboi and so blinded by all things apple that I guess I would not expect anything else from you but to blindly call a product a FAILURE even though you have never seen it or tried it.

I should also add that IF YOUR APP is accepted by RIM they will give you A FREE PLAYBOOK. (before their deadline)

Seriously, try an be a little more objective.

And I can promise you that the PB is awesome and blows the ipad and Xoom away. Just wait and see if you can form your own opinion for once.

What? This is a COLLEGE KID at the university of waterloo. You think cause he wrote a letter he should now be a special advisor? Really? Seriously?

So If I write a letter to Ferrari complaining about thier products -- wait... a product that ISNT EVEN OUT... then they should bring me on as a special advisor?

Seriously?

No dog in this fight, but dave, if you can't at least feign civility in response, it may be a good idea to stay out of tech threads altogether.

No dog in this fight, but dave, if you can't at least feign civility in response, it may be a good idea to stay out of tech threads altogether.

Thanks for the feedback. Jimbo is only trying to cast a negative light on a new product and as my brother works for RIM I am not going to site here and let him do it without a response. I have edited my response to be more civil.

So go out and try the product and then you can call it a FAIL if you want - at least that will be your own opinion from actually using a product instead of calling something a failure because a college kid wrote bad letter about it.

If you want to talk bad about existing products. Go ahead. I personally cannot wait to get rid of my storm2.

Oh and the latest rumor is the PB will run all android apps, so there will be no shortage of apps on the platform either.

http://crackberry.com/adding-fuel-fire-well-also-support-android-apps-heard-during-playbook-demo-mwc

Last edited:
IMO RIM is in trouble on more than just the tablet front. Phones have evolved little over the past 3 years in comparison with Android or Apple. The hardware is underspec'ed relative to the competition. The OS's are similarly unimpressive. The touch typing was horrid on the storm 1, and still nowhere near as good as other devices on the storm 2.

I don't seem to the the only one that feels this way.
Verizon insiders claim “no material value” in BlackBerry OS 6
"66 percent of (Verizon) BlackBerry users said they're eyeing the iPhone", which is 1.5x more than Android users.

I get that business users are the target users. I am one, and I have a 9650. My next phone will be a Droid global, or an iphone5 if it is a global phone as rumored.

Last edited:

Seriously?

LMAO! I said a special advisor. I didnt say CEO or manager or anything of the sort. And for that product that isnt even out, it's getting a little bit a press.

Free press, so let me spell it out for someone who may think the world is over due to bringing on someone for some opinions. Did I say they had to use everything he said or suggested? nope...but extening a branch olive of willingness to correct what's been wrong for a business who's struggling (here in the states at least) I'll say this, there's a lot more college kids with bright ideas, than old men, who's been stuck on the same cycle for years :wink:

IMO RIM is in trouble on more than just the tablet front. Phones have evolved little over the past 3 years in comparison with Android or Apple. The hardware is underspec'ed relative to the competition. The OS's are similarly unimpressive. The touch typing was horrid on the storm 1, and still nowhere near as good as other devices on the storm 2.

I don't seem to the the only one that feels this way.
Verizon insiders claim “no material value” in BlackBerry OS 6
"66 percent of (Verizon) BlackBerry users said they're eyeing the iPhone", which is 1.5x more than Android users.

I get that business users are the target users. I am one, and I have a 9650. My next phone will be a Droid global, or an iphone5 if it is a global phone as rumored.

First off, I think it might be a little premature to say RIM is in trouble in the tablet front. Can we wait until product is released?

Speaking of trouble in the tablet front.. what about android tablets? They have not exactly been successful. Even the Xoom isn't very good and that is with Android 3.0. The reviews have not been great and having used one this weekend I can see why.

Second, you are right on about RIM hardware and software not being up to par. Hopefully they will fix that in the near future, but they had better get a move on it before they lose all their market share.

Also, it should be noted that while Verizon hasn't done much with BB lately, the Torch is the #2 selling phone on AT&T behind the iPhone.

Last edited:
Go out and try it? Isn't it still vaporware?

And yes, RIM has a lot more problems than this developer SNAFU. Like initially Wi-Fi only and requiring that you own a BlackBerry phone in order to use the Playbook for email.

Here's what InfoWorld had to say...

First, by necessitating a BlackBerry for email access on the PlayBook, it requires users to bring two devices with them. The PlayBook will be a useless corporate tool (as far as basic communications in concerned) without a BlackBerry.

Second, it will take longer to use. PlayBook users will have to activate the connection between the BlackBerry and tablet before email can be checked. It'll be much faster for these users to simply read the email on their handset instead.

Third, by tethering corporate email to a BlackBerry, RIM is preventing non-BlackBerry users from picking up the PlayBook. Why would RIM effectively choose to ignore all but a small segment of users? That's amazingly narrow-minded. How successful do you think the iPad would have been if it required an iPhone for certain features?

Current Analysis's Avi Greengart said in a report last month about the PlayBook, "The PlayBook is not a fully standalone device…it is astonishing that RIM would go this route."

After watching this video, I fully agree.

If RIM wants this product to survive, it needs to find, develop, or use an alternative solution that allows regular "Joes" to use the PlayBook as an email machine (and I'm not talking Webmail) without a BlackBerry.

LMAO! I said a special advisor. I didnt say CEO or manager or anything of the sort. And for that product that isnt even out, it's getting a little bit a press.

Free press, so let me spell it out for someone who may think the world is over due to bringing on someone for some opinions. Did I say they had to use everything he said or suggested? nope...but extening a branch olive of willingness to correct what's been wrong for a business who's struggling (here in the states at least) I'll say this, there's a lot more college kids with bright ideas, than old men, who's been stuck on the same cycle for years :wink:

I understand where you are coming from, and agree about young talent.

Having read even more about this subject, it turns out this kid is a big apple fan and not much of anything else. There have been 1000's of apps submitted to BB for the playbook and from what I understand, while it could be easier, it isn't all that hard. Rim shouldn't have even given him the time of day with a response.. but they did.

I just don't agree you should bring someone on and pay them to be a "special advisor" because they wrote a blog one time.

We all rant about what the next NSX should be, but HONDA doesn't bring us on as special advisors. And we are their prime targets!;)

Last edited:
Go out and try it? Isn't it still vaporware?

And yes, RIM has a lot more problems than this developer SNAFU. Like initially Wi-Fi only and requiring that you own a BlackBerry phone in order to use the Playbook for email.

Here's what InfoWorld had to say...

I agree with what they said. It should not have to be paired to a BB. HP is doing the same thing with the WebOS tablets. You get special features if you own their phone and tablet. Its not a bad idea, but I think the PB should have native email and BBM support. By the way, RIM dev's have said that is coming.

Conversely, if Apple added special features to the iPad if you owned an iPhone also, I think people would call it genius.

Also, this is for CORPORATE email sync only. It was done so that if you lose your PB, all your corporate info is off the device so your info is safe. Does that matter to me? Not at all. Does it to other companies? I guess we will see.

You can still check your Gmail, Hotmail or any webmail client out there. So it is not exactly the end of the world... but again, it should have been there from day one IMO.

And by the way, didn't apple only offer Wifi initially also?

You could also run the PB exactly as the iPad runs on Verizon -- with a mifi card.

Sprint will have a 4G tablet out within a month or two of the product release if the dates are to be accurate.

Additionally, I think you can tether your BB to your PB so you can share the same data plan instead of having to pay for a separate plan like you do with an iPad on ATT. I am hoping I can use the mytether app to do this for free.

Last point, having your PB and BB link via BlueTooth is a pretty simple thing to do. I do it with my laptop all the time for Tethering.

Last edited:
I understand where you are coming from, and agree about young talent.

Having read even more about this subject, it turns out this kid is a big apple fan and not much of anything else. There have been 1000's of apps submitted to BB for the playbook and from what I understand, while it could be easier, it isn't all that hard.

I just don't agree you should bring someone on and pay because they wrote a blog one time.

maybe I wasnt clear enough. It would be the best investment they could make with a situation like this. And this is why I think it would work. BB is already looked at as Kings up there. What do you do with a lowly college kid who (while even though slamming your product) has pointed out some major issues with what is being developed. It's not the fact that it's still in development, I mean hey, who knows, they could've made it easier later on in the process. But the fact that they have responded to this kid, means he got their attention somehow.

What better of a story is it to take the one who's slammed your product, in for say a month, to give suggestions on the app side of things. With him already makings many for Apple and Google apps, why wouldnt you take someone with that knowledge, just to figure out, if anything what was it that he HATED about Apple and Google development. and take a few pointers. That posted story, then does not end with negativity on the boards, and people writing of something that isnt out yet, but rather, give people (who may have thought good before reading this) a different view, even just for a short while of Blackberry. Showing that, hey, we understnad there's a great concern for our products, and every once in a while, we're going to listen to the consumer for ideas. Think of it as a test marketing...without paying clueless fools for their feedback.

And the only reason I feel this way, is because I deal with these type of things on a regular basis. I use to LOVE my blackberry. But essentially in the world of cellular devices, they've become the....well Acura of those companies. They havent listened to the consumers wanted for YEARS, and now are trying to play catch up. I honestly dont see how it would hurt

maybe I wasnt clear enough. It would be the best investment they could make with a situation like this. And this is why I think it would work. BB is already looked at as Kings up there. What do you do with a lowly college kid who (while even though slamming your product) has pointed out some major issues with what is being developed. It's not the fact that it's still in development, I mean hey, who knows, they could've made it easier later on in the process. But the fact that they have responded to this kid, means he got their attention somehow.

What better of a story is it to take the one who's slammed your product, in for say a month, to give suggestions on the app side of things. With him already makings many for Apple and Google apps, why wouldnt you take someone with that knowledge, just to figure out, if anything what was it that he HATED about Apple and Google development. and take a few pointers. That posted story, then does not end with negativity on the boards, and people writing of something that isnt out yet, but rather, give people (who may have thought good before reading this) a different view, even just for a short while of Blackberry. Showing that, hey, we understnad there's a great concern for our products, and every once in a while, we're going to listen to the consumer for ideas. Think of it as a test marketing...without paying clueless fools for their feedback.

And the only reason I feel this way, is because I deal with these type of things on a regular basis. I use to LOVE my blackberry. But essentially in the world of cellular devices, they've become the....well Acura of those companies. They havent listened to the consumers wanted for YEARS, and now are trying to play catch up. I honestly dont see how it would hurt

OK. I see your point and I agree.

As for BB, the new stuff is coming soon. We just have to be patient. QNX based stuff is still a ways out, but the Storm 3 and Bold 2 look like very nice phones if you like BB.

Personally, if it wasn't for BBM I would be on an iPhone 4 myself right now.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/01/27/leaked-cdma-blackberry-roadmap-reveals-curve-touch-bold-touch-more/

NetViper said:
First off, I think it might be a little premature to say RIM is in trouble in the tablet front. Can we wait until product is released?

Agreed - the market determines success or failure. My objections are twofold: First, I don't see a compelling reason the average user will chose this over an iPad. Second, I think RIM is spending their resources in the wrong area. Both are just my personal opinions.

screen-shot-2011-01-21-at-7-05-44-am.png

NetViper said:
Speaking of trouble in the tablet front.. what about android tablets? They have not exactly been successful. Even the Xoom isn't very good and that is with Android 3.0. The reviews have not been great and having used one this weekend I can see why.
Agreed, but this could have been said of the first Android phones too. Apple is clearly the leader. Android is clearly the dominant fast follower. So, where does that leave RIM? The old 'business user' advantage appears to be slipping away, and I don't see anything coming to reverse the trend for RIM.

NetViper said:
Second, you are right on about RIM hardware and software not being up to par. Hopefully they will fix that in the near future, but they had better get a move on it before they lose all their market share.

Also, it should be noted that while Verizon hasn't done much with BB lately, the Torch is the #2 selling phone on AT&T behind the iPhone.

This is exactly my point. The Torch was #2 at ATT, when there were very limited Droid offerings. This is changing.

I think the resources devoted to this tablet would have been better spent making the core business (phones) competitive rather than just rushing a 'we gotta have a tablet too' product. The linked RIM product roadmap appears to suggest that nothing offered within the next year will be competitive with even current Droid or iPhone offerings. Hardware is evolutionary, and OS 6.1 might not even be that.

RIM is over as a company. I can see Win7 doing well with the Nokia partnership and Microsofts *vast* resouces. RIM has no such advantage. They might be distant 3rd currently - I don't see it lasting.

And by the way, didn't apple only offer Wifi initially also?

Well kind of. It was announced as an initial feature in the product rollout and Apple simply chose to ship the WiFi units first. Perhaps that's a small difference.

But the point is...

Apple was first.

But, if you're a company trying to compete with the leader one would think that you would at least come to the table with a product that at least matches the current competition and not what the leader had long ago. It's like MSFT initially not offering multi-tasking and copy-paste.

To me, it makes no sense to spend all that money and time introducing a product that doesn't even match the status quo - heck, you would hope that a new product would be better than the status quo. Isn't that the point of a new product competitor?

Well kind of. It was announced as an initial feature in the product rollout and Apple simply chose to ship the WiFi units first. Perhaps that's a small difference.

But the point is...

Apple was first.

But, if you're a company trying to compete with the leader one would think that you would at least come to the table with a product that at least matches the current competition and not what the leader had long ago. It's like MSFT initially not offering multi-tasking and copy-paste.

To me, it makes no sense to spend all that money and time introducing a product that doesn't even match the status quo - heck, you would hope that a new product would be better than the status quo. Isn't that the point of a new product competitor?

Well, you could argue that there is plenty of room for both a wifi and a 3g/4g device. If wifi is ready now and the 3g/4g will be ready in another few months, no reason not the launch the wifi version sooner. That is exactly what Apple did.

And that is the status quo as apple still sells both the wifi and 3g versions.

I wonder if ipad2 will have a wifi only version.

Android is being annoying by making you buy one month of wireless service even if you only want to use it on wifi.

The linked RIM product roadmap[/URL] appears to suggest that nothing offered within the next year will be competitive with even current Droid or iPhone offerings. Hardware is evolutionary, and OS 6.1 might not even be that.

I don't follow you there. The hardware specs on the leaked phones are very competitive with current devices on the market. As for the OS, well, OS 6.1 is pretty good. Its not the best, but neither is android. iOS is easier to use than all of them, but it is still pretty weak on multitasking.

Well, you could argue that there is plenty of room for both a wifi and a 3g/4g device. If wifi is ready now and the 3g/4g will be ready in another few months, no reason not the launch the wifi version sooner. That is exactly what Apple did.

And that is the status quo as apple still sells both the wifi and 3g versions.

Android is being annoying by making you buy one month of wireless service even if you only want to use it on wifi.

How does that work? Do you have to buy wireless service to activate the wifi function? Is this a one time occurrence, or do you have to do this every time(month) you want to use wifi?

I'm sure they will have a Wi-Fi only version. They have that now and there's no reason to change.

The 3G option for the iPad 2 will of course support AT&T, Verizon and possibly others.

RIM is over as a company. I can see Win7 doing well with the Nokia partnership and Microsofts *vast* resouces. RIM has no such advantage. They might be distant 3rd currently - I don't see it lasting.

I'm not sure about Win7-Nokia.

Out of all the players in this field there's going to have be some losers.

I don't see Apple or Android losing ground at all.

RIM, Nokia, Win7 are going to take the hit. How much respectively for each remains to be seen.

How does that work? Do you have to buy wireless service to activate the wifi function? Is this a one time occurrence, or do you have to do this every time(month) you want to use wifi?

I just read it in the Best Buy Flyers.

If blackberry was smart, they would make a 'blackberry enterprise app' for android and iphone that allows those devices to connect to BES servers.
Blackberries are, bar none, the most secure devices for corporate email.

iPhones are a joke when it comes to security. Lose your device(regardless of apple encryption/password) and someone can log into your corporate network within 5 minutes.
Androids don't even naively encrypt the emails, so lose your device and you have major compliance/lawsuit issues.

Blackberry could clean up if they were smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back